Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: 'Used' Looking Saber Weathering

'Used' Looking Saber Weathering 6 months 20 hours ago #67120

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 205
I'm aiming to (eventually) grab a Chosen to dual-wield with an (eventual) Emerald Knight based on the sabers used by Eddlyss in GJO. The EK is going to be weathered, and I might slightly lighten the weathering if it's too heavy for my tastes. But for the Chosen, I want it to look slightly worn and used, but still very well taken care of. Maybe polish up that thin-neck, too.

Would it be a better idea to by a weathered version and strip off the weathering I don't need myself (and will that void the warranty), or should I just go with a standard finish?

If anyone's curious, it'll be rocking a 12w+ Light Blue blade and a Viridian soundboard.

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel
The administrator has disabled public write access.

'Used' Looking Saber Weathering 6 months 15 hours ago #67136

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1542
Eddlyss64 wrote:
Would it be a better idea to by a weathered version and strip off the weathering I don't need myself (and will that void the warranty), or should I just go with a standard finish?
I usually take that road as I personally find removing something is easier than adding it on. Even if you go the standard finish, enamel paints (automotive/hobby stores) with (or without) clear coat after, can work but to create the weathering, dry-brushing seems to be a popular choice too (or saturate an area and rub off before completely drying and extending this further by rubbing with acetone). If you sand/strip weathering yourself, it doesn't void the warranty however if damage is sustained as a result of said action, that isn't covered by the warranty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

'Used' Looking Saber Weathering 6 months 15 hours ago #67137

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 205
Okay, thanls for the help Ovr.

Will the parts I remove of weathering still have a fairly nice glean to them after sanding? Maybe with some old-fashioned woodworking tricks of steadily increasing the grit from say 100 to 180-200?

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

'Used' Looking Saber Weathering 6 months 15 hours ago #67141

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1542
Eddlyss64 wrote:
Will the parts I remove of weathering still have a fairly nice glean to them after sanding? Maybe with some old-fashioned woodworking tricks of steadily increasing the grit from say 100 to 180-200?
:lol: I'm actually recalling Wood/Metal Shop classes from back in High School too. Little fuzzy since it's more than 20years ago and to fill in the blanks I Google methods on YT, not just specific to Sabers and Hilts but applications in general (like automotive) and apply to the aluminium Hilt body.

Each to their own with the starting grit used but yes, gradually increasing the grit will ensure a smoother surface with less coarseness. I always finish with fine/super fine steel wool too. As a tip: because of the fine fibres, either work in a cut-out box (kinda like how supermarkets angle cut cartons for multi-unit display on shelves) and avoid direct wind contact. Goggles too. ;) Fine metal fibres in your eye will have you naturally rubbing said eye and well, will look like you've got pinkeye afterwards. :blush:

I referenced it a bit when asked here, by Burns3558 when I stripped the neck of my Chosen (and later the same with Forsaken). For stubborn areas I have started with 80 grit (sore limbs from repetition) and alternated or from 320/360/400 up to 1000/1200 before steel wool. There will be a slight difference but I wouldn't describe it as glean or shine rather less dull. To polish up for shine (but not as mirror shine) I finish with products like Nevr-Dull and Mother's Mag Aluminium Polish (and yes, all hand applications).

Will be easier if you had powered tools and other enthusiasts will undoubtedly have improved methods but... it works for me. :)

EDIT: Oversight. Practice on a lesser favourite ;) Hilt or aluminium tube first. I used one of my US' as a guinea pig.
Last Edit: 6 months 14 hours ago by OvrcAHst.

'Used' Looking Saber Weathering 5 months 3 weeks ago #67189

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 173
I just spent a good chunk of yesterday sanding down the weathering on the Arbiter I bought from PunsofDamage (formerly known as thesunisgrey I think?). There was some scuffing near the switch section from the custom electronics install I wanted to buff out, ended up with a near-standard finish with weathered highlights that I kinda like. I'll try to post pictures tonight if you're curious.

In terms of grits, I started with some 100 grit sandpaper and followed with a 320 grit sanding block to get the finish I liked (not super shiny). Afterwards I rubbed it down with a cloth doused in 90% isopropyl alcohol to remove any leftover dust without leaving residue behind.

'Used' Looking Saber Weathering 5 months 3 weeks ago #67192

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 579
Another vote for sanding down a weathered hilt. I start with 80-100 to get the majority off, then smooth things over with a 220.

Before-and-after on an emitter in this post:

https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/saber-hilt-diy/11333-sentinel-s-rebirth-asp-customization-wip#65179

That said, on certain parts, you might want to order black and sand off the majority. I didn't expect the knurled grip to be this worn down when I ordered this body from IndieGoGo, so that's something I need to paint and re-weather.

'Used' Looking Saber Weathering 5 months 3 weeks ago #67193

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 189
I would vote sand down/buff out a weathered hilt.

Its kind of like when you do a weathering job to start with, you typically coat the whole thing and then start removing the weathering medium.

'Used' Looking Saber Weathering 5 months 3 weeks ago #67209

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 173
Here's a picture of my Arbiter after sanding down from a weathered finish:

I won't be able to remove the dummy switch until I figure out how I'm gonna separate the parts.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Snakeeyz99. Reason: I have the Disciple on the mind I guess
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Guess I need to clear my schedule then.... :P :lol: You mean it's not already cleared for the 4...
    • Quote: SWEET! I will definitely be getting an Aeon. Prodigy looks great too. I'd have to see some...
    • TFA Graflex 2.1 WIP (6 Posts)
    • No, this one's not for me. The modified US is sitting in pieces for me to tackle after this wraps...
    • That Renegade... Might have to do that in the future. After my first ASP
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (676 Posts)
    • Just got my girlfriends Phoenix in the mail! It only took 2 weeks, but it was an initiate. Very good...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4709
  • Latest Member: Rebzyawag
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 29
  • Yesterday Answer: 41