Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Coating on the Bane

Coating on the Bane 5 months 2 weeks ago #67519

• xaviorbat
  • Thank you received: 5
A while back I bought a Bane from the Etsy shop, saber is nice (wish I could find a way to get rid of the claw but some research recently showed me I could only lop off the pointy bit not the center ridge, would make the spacer too thin) but there is 1 thing that has bugged me since I got it. The coating on the outside. I bought a Silver saber thinking it was going to be polished silver, and was later told that Saberforge wasn't polishing the Bane (well I was told any sabers but other sabers since have disproven that). I'm out of warrenty now so I'm not as concerned about losing it, but I need to know what the silver coating is on the outside, so I can properly and safely remove it. Once I figure out what and how, my next plan is to, on certain parts, electroplate it in Copper, such as the shroud, the upper grip, the pommel and the claw. So I need to get rid of this coating (besides, it makes the saber look really roughly made as opposed to the nice smooth chassis I've seen on the other sabers)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coating on the Bane 5 months 2 weeks ago #67520

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 580
If it's anything like the other silver saber parts, there is no coating - that's just the texture left on the aluminum by the casting process.

Your only real option is to sand it smooth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xaviorbat

Coating on the Bane 5 months 2 weeks ago #67521

• xaviorbat
  • Thank you received: 5
Oh, if it's not coated then that makes things 100 times easier, I thought it was an odd sparkly coating, I can go straight to the nice parts.

Coating on the Bane 5 months 2 weeks ago #67522

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 189
I'm a fan of using multiple grades of steel wool followed by wet sanding to achieve a nice shine.

The steel wool itself leaves a nice look, almost a gunmetal finish. If you start with coarse, then medium, then fine grade steel wool that will "buff out" the hilt. Then if you use a REALLY fine grade of sandpaper, like 1200 grade or higher with a tiny bit of water on the sand paper that will give you a polished shine. It's a little tough with a round hilt though.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Payment types? (2 Posts)
    • Apparently they don't accept Paypal I asked CS a while ago which payment options they accepted. They...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Guess I need to clear my schedule then.... :P :lol: You mean it's not already cleared for the 4...
    • Quote: SWEET! I will definitely be getting an Aeon. Prodigy looks great too. I'd have to see some...
    • TFA Graflex 2.1 WIP (6 Posts)
    • No, this one's not for me. The modified US is sitting in pieces for me to tackle after this wraps...
    • That Renegade... Might have to do that in the future. After my first ASP

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4710
  • Latest Member: TARoberth2C1e
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 30