Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'?

Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'? 5 months 1 week ago #67958

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 189
Going to be building my own blades and was wondering if anyoen had any tips of cutting the mirrored reflector on the blade tips for better illumintation?

Any particular cut or pattern that works the best?

I was thinking a simple X cross cut, or perhaps an O circle cut about in the middle.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'? 5 months 1 week ago #67960

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 580
Used TCSS tips that have a mirror smaller than the ID of the tube, leaving a ring of uncovered tip that helps some light pass through. Better than the old full-mirror tips, but still dimmer than the blade.

Experiment with mylar film. I heard a while back that two layers glued to a mirror-less tip makes a good semi-reflective shine through. That thought was the inspiration for my Kylo tips where I hollowed them out and covered the gap with a piece cut from an electronic anti-static bag

For leaving the mirror in tact, I've also heard of cutting/drilling a hole in the middle. I think I tested that idea a ways back, but I don't remember how well it went.

Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'? 4 months 2 weeks ago #68998

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
I tried the holes in the mirror approach and it didn't work so well. Now that was with a frosted tip, might have been better on a clear tip.

TCSS has clear stock again, so I think I'll pick some more up and build one or two more blades. Trying to decide between a thin walled clear or a thick walled clear.

Leaning to thin walled with around 6' of cellophane for film. Leave as is or light sanding on the blade?

Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'? 4 months 2 weeks ago #68999

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
I always sand my clear blades. For the tip, I'm not sure what you mean by frosted - was it a Translucent White tip? Those never illuminate very well for me, so I always use clear tips, even if I'm building with a TransWhite blade. Only exception would be if I was going for a white Day Blade.

Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'? 4 months 2 weeks ago #69015

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, the translucent white one, does NOT light up well.

So, for the blade sanding, what grit do you use, and do you do a lengthwise sanding or a circle/spiral? around the blade? I haven't done that before and would like to try it out.

Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'? 4 months 2 weeks ago #69017

• Khang
  • Thank you received: 23
If you have the time and tools, I recommend you hollow out the tip. My very best blade I own is a Starlight Blade that is hands down the most well lit blade I've ever seen. It's transwhite, with a thickness between thick wall and thin wall. The tip, parabolic in shape, is also transwhite, but has been hollowed out to the same thickness to is lit up exactly as the rest of the blade.

http://saberz.com/starlight-blades.php

Unfortunately, they are currently sold out-- if they do come back in stock, I recommend you get one to try out.

Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'? 4 months 2 weeks ago #69020

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Yeah I've seen those and seen some pretty positive reviews and side by side blade comparison shots.

I'm curious to try a parabolic style "mirror" in a pointed tip, maybe using some semi trans Mylar or other material. I have the tools to do that, but not necessarily the time/priorities. For now I just want to knock out a few blades for some upcoming builds.

Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'? 4 months 2 weeks ago #69023

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
I've a piece of 400 that I use. Scuffs just enough to diffuse without making deep scratches - downside is that since the scratches are so shallow, they're sort of polished off with dueling impacts. Deeper scratches with rougher grits might hold up better to impact - but it's really not that big of a deal to re-sand after a duel.

Just lengthwise very quickly.

Blade Tip illumination tips for 'mirrored tips'? 4 months 2 weeks ago #69029

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Kouri wrote:
I've a piece of 400 that I use. Scuffs just enough to diffuse without making deep scratches - downside is that since the scratches are so shallow, they're sort of polished off with dueling impacts. Deeper scratches with rougher grits might hold up better to impact - but it's really not that big of a deal to re-sand after a duel.

Just lengthwise very quickly.

So... kind of Shake Weighty....
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Jas-Ot.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Payment types? (4 Posts)
    • The bottom of the site says they accept American express, Visa, discover, Mastercard, JCB and there...
    • well..........that sucks.
    • Apparently they don't accept Paypal I asked CS a while ago which payment options they accepted. They...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Guess I need to clear my schedule then.... :P :lol: You mean it's not already cleared for the 4...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: SWEET! I will definitely be getting an Aeon. Prodigy looks great too. I'd have to see some...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4710
  • Latest Member: TARoberth2C1e
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 32
  • Yesterday Answer: 41