Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: What to do with MR Anakin?

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68112

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 64
So, back in 2005, I got a MR Anakin ROTS saber with the fixed blade as a Christmas gift from my grandmother. A year or two later, I decided I just wanted a prop hilt to wear on my belt, and I (foolishly) removed the blade, and probably ruined the electronics. My grandmother passed away back in 2013, and after I discovered this forum last year, I decided I would like to convert this hilt into a high quality saber in honor of her. The problem is that I have absolutely no electrical or machining skills whatsoever. I thought that I might be able to re-wire the electronics inside, but all I accomplished was effectively destroying the switch box. I was thinking about maybe just cutting and modifying the metal body, and using it to build a completely new saber, but since I lack the skills, I'm afraid I would end up ruining that too. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on this forum might have any suggestions as to what I should do with it. Thank you in advance for any ideas you guys may have!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68113

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
In the middle of working on a few right now.

The Custom Saber Shop offers a metal blade/LED holder for this hilt to make things easier. Slips right into the 2005 model, needs a bit of sanding on 2007. The TCS forums also have a tutorial on the conversion process to get a single blue LED powered by the stock electronics.

I've got one that I just followed the basic tutorial and dropped in a Cree Royal Blue LED and new blade. Did a few tweaks afterward to replace the thumbscrew with a button screw and turn the Graflex button into a thumbscrew.

Second one is a bit more intensive. Electronics completely gutted. Dropping in a Tri-Cree Blue LED with a white flash on clash. Nano Biscotte soundboard in a 1" PVC chassis. Replica Graflex button and glass eye installed.

I'd avoid cutting the thing in half. I tried that a year ago thinking I could get a nifty TFA saber ahead of the 2.0 kits. Didn't have the skill for it then, and it was only last month I started putting those two halves to use in a new build.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68115

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
I'm pretty sure the activation box is unusable, so would it be difficult to drill a hole and add an activation button?

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68119

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
It's one of the old steel hilts, so yeah, tough to get a new hole in there. Not impossible, by any means, but a bit if a challenge.

I'd really recommend making repairs to the hilt, rather than modifications. If you're not up to fixing the hilt, chances are you'll just do more damage trying to make something unknown out of it.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68120

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 333
Gotta agree with Kouri on this. I have a MR Anakin that I will most likely be converting and then selling as well. I haven't tried drilling through that exact hilt, but in general, steel is a PITA to drill through unless you have a press and some diamond tipped bits. Titanium bits would work, but I'd only use a fresh bit on it. I personally wouldn't attempt it, way to easy to wreck the hilt.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68125

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
In that case, is there anywhere I can buy a replacement switch box?

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68126

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Let's get some pictures to see what we're working with. Can probably salvage what you've still got.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68843

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
Sorry for taking so long to get a photo. These are all the parts I have. I could've sworn I had what was left of the switch box, but I can't find it anywhere.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68876

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
Scratch that! I found the switch and a few other missing pieces finally! Do you guys think it's salvageable, or is this one destined to be a fancy paperweight?

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68905

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
You're still missing the chrome disc that's needed to screw in from the brass eye end. Electronically, it looks like you've got everything though, so you could grab a TCSS Anakin bladeholder and a one-up Royal blue LED and get to work.

I might have a spare set of aluminum discs to replace the missing chrome, but the hole's sized for an 8-32 screw since I like to beef up the screws on my Anakin conversions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rennek

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68923

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
Thanks Kouri. I think I may try to do a complete electronics install on this as a slow project. I'm probably going to have several questions as I go, so I hope I don't become a pest. I'm going to install the conversion kit first, and I had a few questions about that.

First, do I just need to order the kit by itself, or do I need to order other parts from TCSS to go with it?

Second, I've read that some people have used a Saberforge 6w LED with this kit. Would you recommend doing that, or should I order a different LED from TCSS?

Thank you so much for your help. Again, I hope I'm not going to be a nuisance with these questions.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68925

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
I would suggest ordering what ever LED star you plan to use in the final setup, and just wire up two of the LEDs for the initial conversion.

I have a similar plan for my MR Anakin and was likely going to go with a RB/RB/W Tri Cree for it and either a Spark2 or NBv3 for the sound board.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68976

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
Could I use the PnP electronics kit from the ASP site in this hilt after I install the conversion kit from TCSS?

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68979

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Mmm~ You'd probably want to use some Class200 1" PVC pipe as a chassis, and you'd need to find a way to mount a momentary switch, but yeah, it would be possible.

EDIT: Not really any way to get the PnP LEDs working with the TCSS kit though, so there'd be a bit of rewiring on that end.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Kouri.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #68981

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
I would think that with the amount of extra effort to make the PnP kit work, it might be easier, or at least more straight forward, to just build it from scratch and use the latching switch it comes with. NBv3 or Spark2 should handle a latching switch.

Kouri's the one whos done a bunch of these so I would defer to him.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #69012

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
NB needs a Momentary. Spark needs a Momentary for single-switch mode. If a Latching is used for Main, the board requires a second Momentary Aux. Only ForceFX/BS boards can use the single latching switch.

I mean, if you don't mind flicking the switch back-and-forth, a latching can *act* like a momentary, but I imagine that getting annoying after a bit.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #69013

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
My bad, I thought the NB could use a latching switch.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #69016

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
With a few obscure exceptions,

1) Single-button boards need a Momentary switch.

2) Dual-button boards can use Latching or Momentary for Main, must use Momentary for Aux.

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #69021

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
OK, new plan. I'm definitely doing a complete electronics install (eventually), and I'm planning on doing away with the original switch, and installing a momentary switch on the bunny ear side of the body. I've kind of been wanting to do this from the start anyway because, firstly, I've never liked the activation boxes because they're too bulky, and secondly, I've always preferred the bunny ears to be on the top of the saber when I hold it instead of pointing downward. My plan is to remove the metal sleeve that the activation box used to attach to, and replace it to cover the original switch holes in the stainless body. I'm wanting to remove the black grips at the base to remove and replace the original sleeve, and then wrap the section where the grips used to be with a solid piece of rubber grip.

Do you guys know of a good/easy way to remove the black grips from the stainless body?

What to do with MR Anakin? 1 year 3 months ago #69024

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
Someone's gonna hit me for using a screwdriver as a chisel, but yeah, I used a screwdriver to chisel out the mounting plates inside of the hilt that mated with the external grips. After they were all off, it's pretty straightforward to pry off the grips - the adhesive isn't *too* strong. However, under each grip is a series of holes that were used to align and secure the grips.

You can sort of see the same holes in an MR Vader where I replaced the plastic grips with tennis overwrap:

As for replacing electronics, I'm not going to say don't do it - but I will suggest you do it later. Use the conversion kit to get your saber up and running again with the stock switch,soundboard, and battery/speaker holder. That'll give you experience that's beneficial to have before jumping into a complete overhaul.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• VV Blade Plugs Compatible... (7 Posts)
    • Quote: Wait.... Yep. :dry: It's what I've experienced and not just with VV Plugs into VV emitters but VV...
    • [FOR SALE] DOWNSIZING CLE... (13 Posts)
    • [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]
    • VV Blade Plugs Compatible... (7 Posts)
    • Wait....so according to those numbers, their blade plug is a hair too big to fit into their own...
    • Another Star Wars Trilogy... (12 Posts)
    • I am very excited by this news! There's no singleplayer game I have completed more often than the...
    • Favorite Saberforge Saber... (19 Posts)
    • Without a doubt is my ASP Reborn saberstaff. Brass/Gold powdercoat ribbs, milled shine thru Reborn...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6547
  • Latest Member: sammy12369
  • Total Posts: 65.2k
  • Total Topics: 5521
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 137
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 26
  • Yesterday Answer: 43