Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: What Threadlocker To Use?

What Threadlocker To Use? 3 months 3 weeks ago #72634

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 207
What threadlocker would be recommended for a saber hilt? I've never had to use anything like Loctite before, so I'm a little confused, especially since the product specs don't exactly match this application.

Red is the one recommended for the ~1" diameter... but it's the "permanent" one. Then Purple is the one recommended for "low strength metals such as aluminum or brass", but is a fairly weak hold. Blue's strength being in the middle. So which one is best?

The specific application I'm currently concerned with being adjusting my ASP hilt (since it's still a bit off after using timing shims) and securing it so it won't come apart from impacts. But I'd still like to be able to disassemble if needed without tools damaging the hilt.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What Threadlocker To Use? 3 months 3 weeks ago #72635

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 119
I use blue mostly, unless I'm never planning on taking apart the hilt again then I use clear epoxy.

What Threadlocker To Use? 3 months 3 weeks ago #72636

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
So can blue be taken apart by hand, or would I need to use a wrench? And do you use one with a primer (242) or the primerless one (243)? Or just not bother with primer?
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by KelbornX.

What Threadlocker To Use? 3 months 3 weeks ago #72637

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 119
KelbornX wrote:
So can blue be taken apart by hand, or would I need to use a wrench? And do you use one with a primer (242) or the primerless one (243)? Or just not bother with primer?
I just clean the threads with a wet paper towel, and some heat from a heat gun release the bond pretty well. But now that I think about it I used e6000 when I couldn't find my loctite,for my wife's and I was able to take it back apart by hand when the switch failed and did a good job of holding.

What Threadlocker To Use? 3 months 3 weeks ago #72638

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
Ok cool, thanks!

What Threadlocker To Use? 3 months 3 weeks ago #72647

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 254
Another not permanent option is to use the premium Teflon tape (gray kind). Helps to align the parts too. Makes for a pretty decent hold if done right but can be unscrewed by hand.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Unnamed ASP (14 Posts)
    • That's an awesome design, Rennek! Congrats on a fantastic saber!
    • Unnamed ASP (14 Posts)
    • Haha! I think I do more of the swearing AT it! Thanks for your help, anyway!
    • Unnamed ASP (14 Posts)
    • Hi Rennek, That's ok, just thought I'd ask. I imagine you could still rotate and resave them....
    • Unnamed ASP (14 Posts)
    • Probably because your PC reads the file info and orients them correctly when they're displayed...
    • Unnamed ASP (14 Posts)
    • Thanks for the suggestion, For. I'm using Windows 10, but the images are only inverted after I post...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5212
  • Latest Member: Ran
  • Total Posts: 55.8k
  • Total Topics: 4652
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 16