Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Electroplating?

Electroplating? 2 months 2 weeks ago #74674

• Nishtol
  • Thank you received: 2
I have watched some videos(and have a little experience) with electroplating, however, before I embark on what I have planned I wondered how to prevent the interior and threads from being plated. I'm a little concerned that when I plate the hilt it'll change the threads and a pommel will not fit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Electroplating? 2 months 2 weeks ago #74681

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 220
Have you looked at brush plating instead of immersion? It doesn't go on as thick, but you can control where it goes.

Remember that you need to plate zincate onto aluminum first, so the other plating has a magnetic surface to adhere to, in addition to removing the oxidized layer that aluminum gets as soon as it's exposed to air.

IIRC, if you're doing gold you might want to have copper as a base layer (so zincate > copper > gold) to increase the luster of the gold (silver metal underneath will wash it out a bit).

And... that's as far as my plating knowledge goes, lol. I looked into it a few months ago when I thought "Wouldn't it be cool to plate my Consular?" but never did it.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nishtol

Electroplating? 2 months 2 weeks ago #74686

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 824
Hi Nishtol,

To prevent the threads from being plated you can use mask-off lacquers or pastes. These are liquid/pastes that are brushed onto the threads to cover them. Allow the lacquer/paste to dry fully then you can plate the exposed areas as normal. The paste/lacquer is then peeled/scraped away.
There are also methods using wax to mask off areas as well as using metallic tapes (magnetic and non-magnetic). You may be able to apply the tapes over the ends of the hilt body and across the switch holes (applied to the inside surfaces) to seal the hilt body and prevent plating the interior.

I am not an expert in any way but here is a link to a page with a little bit of info about possible options.

Masking For Surface Finishing

Hope this is of some help, I'll continue watching this thread and see how you get on,

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nishtol
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5294
  • Latest Member: neoskamark
  • Total Posts: 56.3k
  • Total Topics: 4709
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119