Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of)

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 2 weeks 6 days ago #75532

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 250
I never played the force unleashed games so sabers or the characters were never near and dear to me, unlike the Knights of the Old Republic where I went head over heels with the story of Revan. That said, I always thought the Starkiller saber was very cool. It's mash up of graflex parts, exposed crystal, and the dirtiness of it always appealed to me. More than once I had a Monarch in my cart, but never could pull the trigger. Not to take anything away from the Monarch, but this was a hilt I always figured I would hand build.

Not too long ago I traded my friend Christian Gayle a CF8 for a personal project he was working on, and when he showed me I was like YES! I must build that too, a Flex 2.0 converted into a Starkiller. This was the version of the saber I had to do.

So, I'm getting this project underway.

The basic premise here is to take a Flex 2.0 - cut and mill the shroud into the SK design, cut open the blade holder for the exposed crystal chamber and mount a control box on the top of the shroud - Modify the lower body by moving the clamp down to the top of the lower body and cutting the lips off, adding a new flared pommel and grips. Light acid weathering in spots, and various enamels, screws, rivets, etc to complete the look.

Here's the parts list going into mine with retail prices (incase anyone else is interested in trying this)

1) Flex 2.0 (scratch N Dent) $155
2) JK-Sabers flared pommel kit - $77
3) 3D printed Control box in Stainless steal - $45
4) 3D Printed grips in polished plastic - $17
5) Replica Glass eye - $10
6) Brass tubing (various sizes) $10
7) TGS bunny ears - $35
8) 3D printed chassis - $50
9) Veco Bass Speaker - $6.50
10) Prizm v5 - $115
11) LED and Heatsink (dR/G/rB) - $35
12) Tactile Switches - $3
13) 8-32 button head screws 1/2" (6) - $1.50
14) 8-32 button head screw 1/8" (2) - $.60
15) 8-32 set screws (various) - $1.50
16) 18650 3400 mah battery $9
17) 5mm RGB LED - $1.50
18) Crystal - ????
19) Misc (Wire, resistors, heat shrink, paint, etc) - $20+

As of right now this is in it's infancy and outside of getting the Flex prepped for cutting and milling, and fitting the pommel on, there hasn't been a whole lot done yet. I'm waiting for the Crontrol box and grips to be printed, and for the Prizm v5 to be released. Otherwise all other parts are in hand.

Here's the pommel attached:

This will be a slow build as I'm doing it between commissions and parallel to a few other personal builds.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Vechaljian

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 2 weeks 6 days ago #75533

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
I should probably also add that should anyone be interested in attempting this themselves that along with proficiency in soldering you'll also need the tools required to cut and drill the pieces.

A dremel is my go to for any cutting and milling. I use the flexible attachment along with a myriad of cutting disk, carbide cutters, grinders, and sanding drums to do the metal working. A band saw and bench grinders would be excellent pieces of equipment to also have access to.

For drilling, you could get by using a hand held drill and a vice if you have a decently steady hand, other wise you'll want a drill press. You will also need at an 8-32 tap for the screws.

It's not necessary to use acid for weathering, typical weathering techniques using paints are more than adequate. The acid just adds that extra roughness.

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 2 weeks 5 days ago #75556

• Darth Squidious
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
I know that the Custom saber shop has those accent crystals for sale now you can also order quartz crystals cheap on Amazon and with a masonry cutting wheel for your dremel you can cut natural crystal to size pretty easily.

I have always really liked the original Starkiller hilt and I will pull the trigger on a monarch someday, but I'm saving for a hero tier.
If there is only one hot chick in the galaxy... And she's your sister.

You might be a redneck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas-Ot

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 2 weeks 5 days ago #75557

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 204
Excited to see how this turns out! Looks like a fun project.

Darth Squidious wrote:
you can also order quartz crystals cheap on Amazon and with a masonry cutting wheel for your dremel you can cut natural crystal to size pretty easily

If ordering those bulk packages from Amazon, it'd be a good idea to get several (since they're relatively inexpensive). They're very random on size, color, and finish. I could call about half the pack I got "shards" rather than "crystals" since they were so small and thin.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by KelbornX.

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 2 weeks 5 days ago #75558

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 131
Looking good so far! Looking forward to see this progress :cheer:

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 2 weeks 5 days ago #75560

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
Personally would've went with TCSS Box 1 for Starkiller (polished aluminum's a close-enough match for the Graflex 2.0 nickel plating,), but considering it's almost never in stock, I'm looking forward to seeing your steel box.

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 2 weeks 5 days ago #75563

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Kouri wrote:
Personally would've went with TCSS Box 1 for Starkiller (polished aluminum's a close-enough match for the Graflex 2.0 nickel plating,), but considering it's almost never in stock, I'm looking forward to seeing your steel box.

That was my first plan too, but as you said, never in stock. Christian made model for the box so I went with his model and having it printed at Shapeways.

It's going to get enough weathering treatment that everything should match up fine.

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 5 days 19 hours ago #75930

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
It's been a hectic couple of weeks. My regular non lightsaber life and job has been keeping me extra busy. I've gotten behind on some commissions so I haven't had much time to work on this. Mostly just a few minutes here, a few minutes there.

That being said, I did get a little work done on it.

I cut the Graflex Clamp and drilled and tapped 4-40 holes to attach it to the lower body - I used slotted screws.

Also got a little time to get the base coat of weathering and enamels on the lower body. This is the first step, next comes cleanup, then fine detail additions before the grips go on.
I'm toying with the idea of using 24k gold leaf on the "brass" section and weathering it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Vechaljian

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 5 days 18 hours ago #75934

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 204
Jas-Ot wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of using 24k gold leaf on the "brass" section and weathering it.

Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais

WIP - Starkiller Scratch Build (Sort of) 5 days 17 hours ago #75935

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
It will be done....
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Your top 10 "must ha... (8 Posts)
    • OK, I'll play. 1. TFA Graflex 2. Ep. II Anakin 3. Mace Windu 4. Monarch (Hero since I constantly...
    • Themed Sabers (803 Posts)
    • Hi Everybody, Just a quick post to Bump this thread up before it disappears. I was wondering if...
    • (6 Posts)
    • Looking back, I would probably buy the parts I wanted as soon as they were available because the...
    • In a random order: 1. Mace Windu ep.1 2. Maul's staff 3. Corran Horn (Genesis) 4. My ASP - already...
    • Well, I have a 1) black Vanquish with red blade 2) standard Grandmaster for my GF, purple blade 3)...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5194
  • Latest Member: Shadowdragon
  • Total Posts: 55.8k
  • Total Topics: 4637
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 10
  • Yesterday Answer: 23