Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Need to pick your brains.

Need to pick your brains. 4 months 3 weeks ago #78858

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94
Hey guys, My girlfriend's Talon came in today and I have to say I am impressed. The saber is beautiful, feels wonderful, and I'm very happy with the weathering. I am spending most of my time planning my K4 and Sid builds and repairing and upgrading my Venom so I ordered a prebuilt LED from saberforge to make the Talon build just a simple wiring job. The problem I'm having is I can't put the LED unit in the saber lol. At the place where the "body" meets the "switch section" the Inner Diameter gets a bit smaller and the LED won't fit past that point to allow me to slide it up past the switch holes. I think it's just slightly under the one inch size I don't have access to a drill press to bore it out at all so my only idea so far is to sand down the outside on the heatsink slowly and carefully till it fits. Has anybody installed a talon who has a better thought or any other tricks or advice that could help me? Thanks in advance everyone.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need to pick your brains. 4 months 3 weeks ago #78862

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 203
Edited - Whoops, thin neck.

RMA is an option, otherwise the housings are indeed sandable. I'll ask the basic question, LED retention screw? :P
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by BoostinIX.

Need to pick your brains. 4 months 3 weeks ago #78866

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Yeah because of the thin neck i have to run it through the bottom and the LED is seated right above the switches and underneath the neck, there is a standard set screw right there. I'm definitely hoping to avoid sending it back and as long sanding the heatsink down won't damage it's thermal conduction at all then I'll probably go with that first and then if I can't get it down to size I'll go through the RMA. I'll put some pictures up when I get the chance later

Need to pick your brains. 4 months 3 weeks ago #78868

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 324
That decrease in ID is actually 1". The heatsink will fit, but it takes some skill and patience to get it to sit into the area. Those thin neck apprentice line hilts are a PITA to install.

Need to pick your brains. 4 months 3 weeks ago #78869

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
I thought it just wasn't seating properly at first but when I tested the LED unit's fit in the emitter and it slid perfectly into that one inch ID section, and then I took some one inch blade stock to check the ID inside the switch and the blade stock won't slide past the switch section either so I think it must be just under an inch by mistake, I can wedge the blade stock a little further but it's just too tight to push through and I don't wanna force anything of course.

Need to pick your brains. 4 months 3 weeks ago #78872

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
You backed the set screw off right? Will the blade stock slide past the switch section?
If not it could be some burrs/rough edge from where the switch holes were drilled/milled. I've had that happen before.

Need to pick your brains. 4 months 3 weeks ago #78875

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Yeah i removed the set screw completely but it's not even going to the switch holes it stops as soon as the LED gets to where the body meets the switch section. I tried an actual one inch diameter blade today (also my 7/8 blade which fortunately was very loose) and because of the extra length I was able grab onto it and slide it further past the switch holes than i was able to get the few inches of blade stock i tried but it's very tight for certain. I think that sanding it should take just enough for it to slide smoothly in there.

Need to pick your brains. 4 months 3 weeks ago #78884

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
The Anodizing may be a little too thick on the inside? Sounds like a little sanding will work though.

Need to pick your brains. 4 months 2 weeks ago #78979

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Must have been the anodizing but needless to say sanding worked once I got it down to where it slid in easy it was all downhill from there. The saber is beautiful and the color is awesome. The interesting part is this is my girlfriend's second purple saber but this one is way more purple. I shined the LEDs at the wall and the first one seems to be 2 blue 2 red and the new one seems to be 3 blue 1 red. All in all I'm very happy, next to come is my k4 soon.

Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.

Member Login

Latest Posts

• ASP Wave 2 Renders (41 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: [attachment] Dude! A Plo Koon hilt. Incorrectly named KaiAdi.jpg, but I can forgive that....
    • Quote: [attachment] Dude! A Plo Koon hilt. Incorrectly named KaiAdi.jpg, but I can forgive that....
    • They are scheduled to be added just prior to, or right at the same time they are available for...
    • Nice. Will they be available to play with on saberparts.com?

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6468
  • Latest Member: jakUseno
  • Total Posts: 64.4k
  • Total Topics: 5448
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 5
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 55
  • Yesterday Answer: 79