Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help

Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help 4 months 1 day ago #79980

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 64
Hey guys. I've been tinkering with a crystal chamber blade plug for my ASP, and I'm needing some pro tips. I'm trying to do a duel crystal setup with a primary crystal and focusing crystal. My issue is that I'm having trouble getting light to the top crystal. The bottom crystal lights up beautifully, but the top barely glows, so I've got one blazing bright crystal butted up to a fairly dim crystal. Since it's just a blade plug and not a true crystal chamber, I can't really wire another LED to come on with the saber LED, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get some more light to the top crystal. Thank you to anyone who may have some advice.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help 4 months 1 day ago #79981

• Gen Croix Man
  • Premium Member
  • Your focus determines your reality
  • Thank you received: 46
If the crystals are going to remain in a fix position within the plug I would drill a hole on the bottom one to allow light to shine through into the second one, giving it a more centralized source possibly giving the effect of a "focus" beam within the crystal.
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

"Do you hear that? That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way."

Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help 4 months 1 day ago #79994

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
I thought about that, but I don't want to chance breaking the crystal. I looked for a long time for the right crystal, and when I found this one, it was one of those "THAT'S THE ONE!" moments. Haha!

Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help 4 months 23 hours ago #80004

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 139
Hmmm. Maybe try a mirror behind the upper crystal. It may not light up quite as much as the lower one still, but it will be a fair bit brighter at least.

Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help 4 months 9 hours ago #80036

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
Thanks Muns! That's actually what I was kind of thinking too, but I wanted to see if anybody else thought it would work as well. I'm wondering if maybe a small concave mirror would help focus the light more into the crystal than just reflecting it back to the LED. I think I may even have room to hide a really small lens inside the crystal mount. Would that work, or would I just be wasting my time?

Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help 3 months 5 days ago #81023

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
Hey everyone. I’m still determined to make this work, and I have another question. Would running optical fibers from the base of the blade plug through brass tubes to the top crystal help illuminate the top one close to the same brightness as the bottom crystal?

Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help 3 months 5 days ago #81031

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 763
Eh, fiberoptic cables can't make really tight turns, so you might have some trouble getting them into position.

Also, if you managed to find a really pristine, optically clear, crystal, it won't light up very well. It's the imperfections in a crystal that catch the light.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rennek

Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help 2 months 4 weeks ago #81374

• Sere Sudae
  • Thank you received: 1
One of the optical properties of fiber is a minimum bend radius, past which light will not effectively transmit through it. If you get fiber fresh from a store or otherwise know its manufacturer, you might be able to find this piece of information for it. But if you're planning on running fiber through a pipe, why not just run wire instead, and have a second LED in the plug shining down onto the second crystal?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rennek

Crystal Chamber Blade Plug Help 2 months 4 weeks ago #81384

• Rennek
  • Premium Member
Well, this is just a blade plug, and not a true crystal chamber. I'd have to wire a power source and a switch to activate it, and I don't have the skill or the space to do that. I think I'm just going to go with a single crystal with this one, and maybe try to do a dual crystal one later when I've learned a little more on how to make these things.
Last Edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by Rennek.

Member Login

Latest Posts

• ASP Wave 2 Renders (41 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: [attachment] Dude! A Plo Koon hilt. Incorrectly named KaiAdi.jpg, but I can forgive that....
    • Quote: [attachment] Dude! A Plo Koon hilt. Incorrectly named KaiAdi.jpg, but I can forgive that....
    • They are scheduled to be added just prior to, or right at the same time they are available for...
    • Nice. Will they be available to play with on saberparts.com?

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6468
  • Latest Member: jakUseno
  • Total Posts: 64.4k
  • Total Topics: 5448
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 5
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 55
  • Yesterday Answer: 79