Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Someone sanity check this crystal window idea

Someone sanity check this crystal window idea 4 months 3 weeks ago #81373

• Sere Sudae
  • Thank you received: 3
There's going to be a lot of assumptions in here, so if I get anything wrong, please let me know!

I've been looking through different ASP parts, and I've been disappointed that there's no combination switch+window parts, or indeed any crystal window sections at all. There's a windowed staff connector, but it isn't available in ASP to design around, where I like to be able to visualize a completed assembly. Even if it was, it doesn't fit the dimensions I'm looking for

Before I go on to details the specifics of my plans, I'll outline my general hilt design. Feel free to provide feedback/critique on that too; I don't have the experience to say whether or not my plans will achieve my design goals.
Parts list;
  • Epoch Emitter
  • Fallen Switch
  • ASP #6 Body
  • ASP #3 Pommel
All these parts are flush with each other, straight-bodied, and except for the switch have internal and external pieces. I wanted to build a saber that looked like it had old guts covered by a shiny new shroud, so I was planning on having the internal pieces powder coated in Copper Vein while the external pieces keep the silver-and-black standard finish.

Now for what I'd like someone to really check my work on; if the switch sections have ~1" internal diameters, and the switches only have 12mm thread diameters, there should be a (relatively) decent amount of empty space to either side of the switch barrels. I was wondering if it'd be feasible - keeping in mind all I have is a dremel - to drill out small slit windows on either side of the switch holes, and insert quarter-inch crystal-shaped LEDs in the spaces next to the switches? Again, assuming a 1" internal diameter for these parts, my mental math is telling me that it might be a tight fit and require shaving a bit off the side of the LED facing the switch but it there should be room.

Am I wrong on my dimensions? Is it insane to try drilling through this much material with a dremel? As much as I'd like to keep every part the same external diameter, if this is too difficult, I might just try drilling and tapping switch-holes into the windowed staff connector and using that.
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Sere Sudae. Reason: incorrect part name fixed
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Someone sanity check this crystal window idea 4 months 1 week ago #82038

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 281
once the wiring is in and everything you'll have a very hard time getting that to work. Harder still would be getting it to look good.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Someone sanity check this crystal window idea 1 month 1 week ago #86062

• Sere Sudae
Little thread necro but I figured it'd be better than making a new topic. I considered your advice that making it look good will be difficult, and considered a variety of dressings that could be used. After closely inspecting some other pictures of the switch section, and noting the area I was thinking of removing was two-stepped with the inner much smaller, I figured I could just remove that inner section. This way, as much area as possible would be taken by the crystal, and the lack of ornamentation on the interior would be more in-line with the very small (secondary?) crystal windows on some more recent reveal offerings by SF.

Speaking of crystals, I decided not to use LED facsimiles. I've already bought all the LEDs required for another Star Wars-related DIY project, but recently decided that I did not want (or would get alternate options for) some lighting elements, so have on-hand a couple very powerful white LEDs. Why buy more gimmicky ones for this build when I could repurpose what I already have? I found a shop on Etsy that would sell me a pack of 60 metal-coated quartz crystals for some authentic colored crystals, instead of plastic frosted white LEDs. The crystals have diameters ranging from 6mm-8mm, and with the quantity I'm getting, I shouldn't have a problem finding a few that fit in the ~7.5mm (by my calculation) spaces on either side of the switch.

In celebration of the new ASP parts announcement, and a decent tax return check, I decided to pull the trigger on financing this experiment. I acquired a 12mm LED latching switch* off Amazon, and from SF ordered a 12mm LED momentary switch* and the requisite ASP#9 switch section. When they come in, I'll update this thread on how it fits together, and whether or not I feel it's viable to follow through with the modifications!

*These switch will serve several purposes at different stages in this project. I think this saber's initial completion will just have lights and no sound, so a latching switch will be required. I hope to give it sound eventually, though, but I dislike the idea of kill-keys. As spacey as I am, I'll probably just forget or lose them somewhere. Once sound is installed - which I'll probably DIY since I have the electronics and soldering experience to - I'll leave the latching switch as a hard battery interrupt, so no kill key is required.

Someone sanity check this crystal window idea 1 month 1 week ago #86064

• Shai Kah
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 71
I do believe also that Saber Forge will be adding crystal chambers into their ASP line In April, so you could also wait for that to happen and use one of them!

Someone sanity check this crystal window idea 1 month 1 week ago #86065

• Sere Sudae
I saw, and I'm excited! I'm wary of exceeding a reasonable hilt length, though; I intend this to be a one-handed saber. I'm probably going to redesign at least part of the saber around the new parts coming out though, especially eyeing that Bane-like emitter. If I can engineer this switch to a crystal chamber, though, I'd definitely like to. If it doesn't come out well, I'll just get a different switch and see what I can do to integrate the new crystal chambers into the design without going overbudget lengthwise. I have a feeling there's room for ASP crystal chambers in a couple other projects I'm considering.

Someone sanity check this crystal window idea 1 month 1 week ago #86099

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 429
You aren't going to have a whole lot of room along the side of the switch section.

Not exactly what you want, but it would probably be easier and might be better looking if you used multiple 3mm LEDs and just drill holes along the side to insert them to. Depending on what soundboard you use you could wire them up to use accent LED pads and do all kinds of cool blinky stuff.

If memory serves, I think VV did something similar on one of their hilts.

Someone sanity check this crystal window idea 1 month 1 week ago #86180

• Sere Sudae
That does sound like a good idea, if I can't get these crystals in the ~7mm spaces on either side of the switches. Even if I could, it'd be nice for the inset opposite the switches, where there wouldn't be hardly any room at all. I'll consider it, thanks for the recommendation!

I was hoping that just a single unmodified ASP part and a switch might be a quick order to fulfill, but it looks like I get the same wait as everyone else. Ah well.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• "DIY" Star Wars... (105 Posts)
    • Sooooooo? :whistle:
    • Ordering on Saberforge (22 Posts)
    • There has got to be a prepaid Visa or Mastercard some where available to you. They are everywhere...
    • ASP Wave 2 Renders (87 Posts)
    • This is great to hear. Time to swap out Epoch emitter for Bane...
    • March Sale! (18 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: We need to tweak the banner text a bit, the freebies for $100 are a 4 piece set of the four new...
    • Sabercore 3.0 sounds vs N... (2 Posts)
    • The NEC fonts from Saber Fonts would be compatible, just needing to be renamed to the same standard...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6762
  • Latest Member: Errottabore90
  • Total Posts: 67.4k
  • Total Topics: 5704
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 2
  • Yesterday Answer: 44