Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Elite saber tiers - DIY vs fully assembled

Elite saber tiers - DIY vs fully assembled 9 months 5 days ago #19736

• raidendex
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi,

Was wondering what would be cons/pros of buying lets say Hero version of elite saber versus just getting the hilt and getting insides separately.

- Would it be cheaper to buy all in one or go DIY route if I want pretty much all features of hero tier?
- I have no prior experience with anything saber related, however I have put together arrays of 3 watt LEDs with an Arduino based controller for dimming for which I wrote the code, so I feel I should be able to put whatever is needed together for the hilt electronics, but do you think this is too complicated and error prone?
- If going DIY route, would I just end up with the same parts or are there other (better) options for the sound board and perhaps LED array (although I guess that one would be harder to make it fit with something else).

So in the end, I would basically want a Hero tier features, but perhaps with better options/customization if that's a thing and going DIY route only if that would save significant amount of money to get the same features.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Elite saber tiers - DIY vs fully assembled 9 months 3 days ago #19962

• raidendex
  • Thank you received: 9
Well thanks for all the advice ;P

Ordered exhalted hero edition for now, since that should allow me to change sounds fonts unlike sabercore. However I do still wonder if $150 jump is worth the different sound card? I did look around at the prices of various things and it does look like some of these cards can be above $100, but I imagine sabercore one is not free either.

Elite saber tiers - DIY vs fully assembled 1 month 3 weeks ago #54356

• MasterClayton
  • Thank you received: 2
I have been wondering the same thing. I have a fair amount of soldering experience and I kind of just want the experience of building my own. Let me know if you find anything out.

Elite saber tiers - DIY vs fully assembled 1 month 3 weeks ago #54378

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
  • *Inspirational Star Wars Quote*
  • Thank you received: 138
-I'm not sure if a Hero Tier was cheaper DIY before the price jump, but it definitley is now. Hero Tiers are, what, $600 now?
-If you feel confident enough, go ahead. But there are great soundboards out there, pre made for this sort of thing. NEC (Spark, Spark Color, Igniter) and Plecter Labs (Nano Biscotte, PRIZM, Petite Crouton, Crystal Focus) are the two leading sound board manufacturers. They both offer different sound boards with different features at different price points, depending on what you want and how much you're willing to fork over for it.
-There are better soundboards than those used in SF sabers. But, the Hero Tier uses an NEC Spark Color 2, which is nothing to scoff at. As for LEDs, in a normal saber, 9w XP-E2 Tri-Crees are brighter than SF 12w XQ-E Quad Crees, but if you want a thin neck saber, the SF 12w+ module will transmit light better through the thin neck and make a brighter blade.
-I'm not sure why I'm telling you all this, because you've already ordered a Hero Tier saber. I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase, but hey, more information can't hurt anyone, right? Like the guy above me. He might want to know.
The above post may be subject to editing. A lot of editing.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• UK Customs charge 2016 (37 Posts)
    • I just got mugged by HM Customs for my Etsy order.. :pinch: Ouch.. That hurt!!
    • ASP- Alastar (17 Posts)
    • Quote: Hey leapra, could you possibly post a clearer image of just the pommel? I need to see one regarding...
    • Problem w/ASP Sabercore e... (8 Posts)
    • Sounds like what mine was doing when I first got it. It was the soundboard that was messed up. They...
    • Thin Neck Saber issues (38 Posts)
    • HotRod personally I do not know the answer to that question as ASP was my first saber. I hope one of...
    • Wait Begins! 3.0 (1994 Posts)
    • I am extremely tempted to order a Prodigal Son off of Etsy right now, but that's a bit of cash for...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4321
  • Latest Member: Kirby7633
  • Total Posts: 45.3k
  • Total Topics: 3185
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 5
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 69
  • Yesterday Answer: 100