Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: How to remove the switch hole covers?

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21154

• ValoricD
  • Thank you received: 1
So I've done a couple of searches and looked through the threads mentioning hilt disassembly but I'm still a bit unclear on the best way to remove the little fake switch hole covers that come installed on an empty hilt. I saw that someone drilled theirs out and I'd rather leave that as the last option if possible. :) Are they just glued in? I can see from inside the hilt that the switch holes appear to already be drilled so it looks like these are just a little cover for aesthetic purposes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthDenny

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21171

• greyjediDude
  • Platinum Member
  • Fear is not real. It is the product of thoughts you create. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice.
  • Thank you received: 72
I would also like to know this. I bought an empty Exile last week. Is that how the hilt will come in? I don't want to damage the switch area by drilling it in. I don't plan to leave it empty, but I don't have any experience doing installs. How does it work?
Light and darkness, you cannot have one without the other. To achieve equilibriem you must be in harmony with both; the path between.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21174

• ValoricD
I think you can ask them to not put the covers on when you place your order. Unfortunately I didn't know that when I ordered. So now I get to try and figure out how to undo my mistake. :)

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21186

• greyjediDude
  • Platinum Member
  • Fear is not real. It is the product of thoughts you create. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice.
Oh uh, that's not good, I ordered not knowing that. Can anyone confirm this? I ordered my saber last Wednesday, is it too late to contact the shop to leave the switch holes open?
Light and darkness, you cannot have one without the other. To achieve equilibriem you must be in harmony with both; the path between.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21189

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
They're just glued in; you can pop them out. I have a dummy switch that's come loose in my Fury vape I sit and pop in and out all the time when I'm bored. If you have to resort to drilling them out, there's something... not... right.... there. =/

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21190

• greyjediDude
  • Platinum Member
Knytiri wrote:
They're just glued in; you can pop them out. I have a dummy switch that's come loose in my Fury vape I sit and pop in and out all the time when I'm bored. If you have to resort to drilling them out, there's something... not... right.... there. =/
Oh thank you Knytiri, always coming to the rescue. I was biting my nails from the anxiety, is it hard to pop out the dummy switches? Or is it like pushing them in until they come off or like POP them out? I have no idea, really.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21199

• ValoricD
Glad to hear they're glued in. I'll give it a try. I asked someone else who said you just push them in and slide them out the bottom of the hilt? I think they misunderstood and were thinking that I have actual dummy switches rather than just the little switch hole covers. The covers are the same size as the top of an AV switch so they couldn't possibly press inward through the hole since it's smaller than they are. :) Popping them out makes a lot more sense. Thanks again.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21203

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
There are two types of dummy switches I've seen. The first kind pops into place from the bottom (it's the kind I have in my Fury vape) and they actually feel much more solid. They're the ones you push down on and slide out. The others are thinner, and have a "cheaper" feel to them, and they need to be pushed up from the bottom. A hairdryer, or the like, can be used to heat the glue, which should weaken the bond, and allow you to pop the switch out from the bottom very easily.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21204

• BZArcher
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 90
One other suggestion - if they aren't coming out easily, try running a hair dryer on high over the dummy switches for a few minutes to help loosen the glue.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 8 months ago #21281

• ValoricD
Thanks for the advice gentlemen. A heat gun and a dental pick pushing from the inside and they popped right out once the glue was sufficiently heated. Here's what they look like out of the hilt for reference. Sorry that the pic is blurry but you get the idea. :) Thanks again!!

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 3 weeks ago #59626

• alancheong
i tried heating with hair dryer on high for 20 minutes to try and melt the glue, tried with a fair bit of pressure from a lever to pop it from inside. no luck, wouldn't budge.

Don't have a heat gun.

anyone can help?

drilling it is my last resort.

(wrote in my order comments for dummy switches NOT to be glued and to be separated and yet they spend time to glue it and now i have to find ways and spend time to remove it. I have 10 dummy switches to remove...sigh)

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 3 weeks ago #59637

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 293
drill them out. use a small bit to penetrate the dummy switch. the wiggle and it pops right out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: alancheong

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 3 weeks ago #59638

• alancheong
Thanks, NeBosa. I will try that.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 3 weeks ago #59639

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 293
It's super quick to do. I popped the one out on my Redeemer in mere seconds that way.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 1 year 2 weeks ago #59712

• alancheong
Got info, it seems lately the dummy switches were JB welded instead.

So i drilled a hole and tried to pop it out using a nail. no luck. then i screw in a long screw thru the hole and used pliers to pull the screw and it finally came out.

1 down, 9 more to go.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 10 months 2 weeks ago #65019

• alancheong
Got another batch of saberforge empty hilts yesterday and saw it came with the new dummy switches glued in (despite requests not to do so)

With the previous batch, i had to drill the dummy switch and then use something to leverage and pop them out. So i took out the drill, the vice, the cloth and center punch and hammer and all ready to drill.

One soft knock on the dummy switch with the center punch and the center portion of the switch gave way and left with a hole. A gentle lift with the center punch also easily removed the rest of the switch. All done in less than 5 to 10 seconds !!!

The new dummy switches doesn't seem to be made of aluminum, perhaps plastic. But it's fragile and really thin. Unlike the old switches which are thick aluminum, and tougher to remove. I am loving this new dummy switches, not because i like to keep them but because they are so easy to remove and throw away. LOL.

How to remove the switch hole covers? 2 months 6 days ago #74982

• RotundChap
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
following for later...
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5294
  • Latest Member: neoskamark
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4709
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0