Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: My custom build

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6716

• cannon_fodder
  • Thank you received: 11
Not much to look at right now but somewhere in this pile of parts is a complete saber and a couple of hilts as well as a less than enthusiastic wife. A piece of 1-1/4" carbon fiber tubing, 1" copper tubing, and 1 each of 1-1/8", 1-1/4", 1-3/8" and 1-1/2" outside diameter aluminum tubing with 0.058" walls. Also pictured is my 6w deep blue LED from SaberForge, my Nano Biscotte sound board, speaker, mount/battery carrier for all of it, button, pig tail, and my 32" Infinity Edge blade. I'm hoping to start building it over Spring Break in a week or so. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. Well, that is if anyone is interested in it.

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by cannon_fodder.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, neckchop, Darth Tyranus

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6719

• Orion Skywalker
  • Premium Member
  • Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Use your instincts.
  • Thank you received: 5
Sounds like fun :)
Glad it's you doing it and not me though

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6726

• cannon_fodder
I love projects like these. I was an electronics tech in the Army so this simple board doesn't scare me. I'm also in school to be a welder and fabricator so I'm cool with the other stuff too. To top it off I'm all about hands on projects so this is right up my alley. I'm also hoping to turn another one on the lathe next semester.

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6731

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 428
Excited to see how this turns out!
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6739

• Darth Tyranus
  • Premium Member
  • "Something something something Darkside something something something Complete"
Very interested to see what kind saber you build from those parts, have fun on the saber build, that is the most important part. :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cannon_fodder

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6741

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
I wanna see how this turns out as well.. I'm kinda excited to see and it's not even my saber lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: cannon_fodder

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6749

• cannon_fodder
evilpancreas wrote:
Not many things are quite as exciting as wiring up and finishing the hilt, then to have it work perfectly! I see that nano there haha. Did you buy a momentary or latching switch?

Yeah I figured that for my first saber it'd be prudent to go simple. I got a momentary switch for it. Everything that I read about it said that it required a momentary so that's what I got. I wanted a cleaner looking AV switch but they didn't have the plain silver one in stock.
Darth Tyranus wrote:
Very interested to see what kind saber you build from those parts, have fun on the saber build, that is the most important part. :cheer:

I'm not planning on using all of these parts for one single saber. Right now I'm leaning towards leaving the copper out of it because it's not quite the right size to fit with any of the other parts. That and if I can find the right tube (or make the right parts next semester) I have other plans that'll use copper but we'll see how those plans turn out.

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6759

• Darth Revan
  • User is blocked
  • I am Revan Reborn, and before me you are nothing!
  • Thank you received: 99
That's one of the most important part of the jedi/sith training! Building your own Lightsaber. I wish I was good enough with my hands to do so myself! The feel must be AMAZING!

I can't wait to see the result !!!!
Champion Medium Blue Reliant (First Edition)
Champion Green Epoc
Warrior Green Epoch
Warrior Red Acolyte
Champion Cyan Acolyte Saberstaff

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6790

• Darth Tyranus
  • Premium Member
  • "Something something something Darkside something something something Complete"
I'm not planning on using all of these parts for one single saber. Right now I'm leaning towards leaving the copper out of it because it's not quite the right size to fit with any of the other parts. That and if I can find the right tube (or make the right parts next semester) I have other plans that'll use copper but we'll see how those plans turn out.

Sound cool, just one idea if you are saying they are different diameters you could always secure the another tube on the inside or outside at some part not necessarily the whole length of the copper tube and make cuts in one to make a to tone pattern. Either way still would like to see what you make as not to many people do the metal work themselves.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Darth Tyranus.

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #6798

• cannon_fodder
That's the plan. The copper isn't large enough to house my electronics carrier so I'll be trying to figure out a way to house it for a second or even third saber. I'm developing plans to do that basic thing with the carbon fiber and aluminum though. I just need to develop a design. I have some ideas but I haven't settled yet.

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #7222

• cannon_fodder
Just an update and a few pictures. I wanted to get some clean up done and get rid of the brazing rod that melted to the outside of the emitter but my wife says that using power tools in my workshop (it happens to be right below our bedroom) at 1 AM isn't allowed so I'm stuck until tomorrow. Anyway, enough rambling.

Bits and pieces of the build taking over the dining room table. No real plan for most of it. Playing most of it by ear.

A picture of the pommel speaker cover. It's been cleaned up a little bit more but still needs some love.

Rough fitment of what I've achieved so far this evening.

A close up of the emitter with the blade fitted into it.

It's far from done. I still have a ton of clean up to do but I'm not allowed to this late at night. I also still have to add the cutouts that are going to show a separate layer under the main body to give it some more depth and character. I also have to drill and tap all of the holes for the set screws and the switch, and solder and install all of the electronics. At this rate I'll probably have it done by Monday or Tuesday.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by cannon_fodder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darth Tyranus

My custom build 1 year 4 months ago #7267

• Darth Tyranus
  • Premium Member
Looks promising, Think building it it just as fun and rewarding as testing and using the fished saber. :cheer:

My custom build 6 months 3 weeks ago #26798

• Aidzer0
  • Thank you received: 16
Hello, this looks like an interesting project, any updates? gonna be glued to this topic :cheer:

My custom build 6 months 1 week ago #31784

• Terminator J
  • Thank you received: 1
Sure seems like an awesome idea. Can't wait to see a finished product. My robotics team actually is planning on doing our own custom sabers soon too. Hardest part for us will probably be the electronics seeing as we are on the manifacturing team and are not very educated in the electronic components. We'll probably have one of our electronics guys do it for us.
Darkness only makes the light shine brighter.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Sabercore sound menu manu... (3 Posts)
    • Quote: I don't know if there's an actual manual anywhere, but it's pretty straightforward. To enter config...
    • Recently Responded to Ema... (6 Posts)
    • ToyKeeper, Quote: It sounds like your question about crystal window styles didn't get answered. :lol: All I...
    • ASP "Interceptor&quo... (52 Posts)
    • ToyKeeper, Thank You. The threaded part is good to know. Much like unscrewing the jar of jam for my...
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (141 Posts)
    • Dear Diary: It's me again.. still here.. it's been 26Weeks.. :unsure:...[image]
    • Monarch hero for combat (9 Posts)
    • Quote: I removed the 4 rails along the body from my Monarch yesterday and I have to say the comfort level...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4378
  • Latest Member: KMGittins
  • Total Posts: 43.2k
  • Total Topics: 3148
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 27
  • Yesterday Answer: 72