Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Custom Saber Idea

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69873

• Watchmaker
  • Thank you received: 4
I think I could use some help getting my ideas together into something more detailed or complete. I have an idea of what I want, but only have a vague idea of what specifically to ask for. I made a request, but I haven't gotten an answer, so I thought to get some advice on my request.

I was looking to have a custom Gladius/Gladiator built, based around the idea of the ‘First Blade’ from Star Wars: The Old Republic. In the game, it’s a standard lightsaber hilt – the one I believe the Gladius was based around. According to the lore, however, there’s a few notable aspects that would make it stand out:
  • It’s VERY old, already considered a legend by the time the Jedi Order was established, and was seen as the first Lightsaber ever constructed

• It’s seen a lot of use, being taken apart, repaired, restored, and placed back as a relic to be passed on to future generations of Jedi. By the time it appears in TOR, it’s considered just sufficient to use as a hilt for the Jedi Consular to construct a lightsaber with.

• It holds a number of secrets, most notably the secrets of the ‘forgotten’ founders of the Jedi Order, who had inscribed them all across the hilt

• And those secrets were dark indeed, as the master in question could lay claim to being the first ‘Dark’ Jedi, who intended the blade to be passed down to the next generation of his disciples

With all of that as a basis, what came to mind as possibilities to work with included shattered weathering, etched/inscribed writing (possibly concealed under the wrap) and a crystal chamber of some kind - I've seen the Gladiator's chamber, but I wondered if there were alternatives, like the Crystal Reveal chambers. The overall look shouldn’t read ‘Sith’, however. It’s still a Jedi’s weapon, even one fallen as far as its previous owner.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69874

• Roger Redux
  • Premium Member
  • May The Force serve you well.
  • Thank you received: 48
If I were wanting a "shattered" weathering done, I'd probably send it to Shameem but he has a long waiting list.

This is the most 'light-side' shatter job I can recall from his Youtube channel:
[video:https://youtu.be/yRJb6mKaRew][/video]
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Roger Redux.

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69885

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 466
I also do "shattering" and fractures. However I do not do etching, or engrave writing (Although I am trying it on my Son's saber.... not a service I would sell though)

I would recommend building the general idea of the hilt in the ASP virtual saber builder. All the Gladius parts are there, and you find substituting a part works better for your over all idea.

From there you may need to reach out to more than one Sabersmith for the type of work you are looking for.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69896

• Watchmaker
Like I said: The hilt *itself* I didn't see as anything more than a Gladius/Gladiator. The idea that kept circulating in my head was packing as much history and secrets into a seemingly unassuming lightsaber.

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69899

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 189
Jas-Ot wrote:
I also do "shattering" and fractures. However I do not do etching, or engrave writing (Although I am trying it on my Son's saber.... not a service I would sell though)

I would recommend building the general idea of the hilt in the ASP virtual saber builder. All the Gladius parts are there, and you find substituting a part works better for your over all idea.

From there you may need to reach out to more than one Sabersmith for the type of work you are looking for.

Similar to what I was thinking, and if you use ASP you can put in a crystal reveal when that eventually releases.

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69903

• Watchmaker
How is that planned or intended to work? Is the chamber something that could be slotted into any given switch/body section?

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69904

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1719
Watchmaker wrote:
How is that planned or intended to work? Is the chamber something that could be slotted into any given switch/body section?

They would be an additional ASP part you should be able to add to most configurations.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Brax.

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69907

• Watchmaker
Ah, I'd never seen those before. Do you know how large they would be?

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69935

• Watchmaker
Looking at it again, I don't think I quite get what's going on with those. Are they separate modules that are always exposed, like the Gladiator's chamber, or do they slot inside the saber, like the Crystal Ares?

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69940

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1719
Pretty sure they would be a section between the switch, and the emitter on an ASP build. It is hard to tell from the 3-d render, but they would look to be 1.5 or 2 inches in length.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Brax.

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69941

• Watchmaker
In that case, they probably wouldn't really look right with a Gladius. After all, that's what the Gladiator is for.

Is the Gladiator easily customized? And do any of sabersmiths do writing on the hilts?

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69946

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1887
Watchmaker wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
From your brief and desired criteria, I'd use something like this here as a premise for starting point.

As a constantly evolving Saber that's handled by different generations you'd be looking at a Hero with RGBA setup, the ability to alternate colour choice depending on the wielder. Having thought about your OP for a few, to be different to the setup referenced, free up a lot of the switch section real estate with brass capped tactiles and relocate the charge port to the pommel.

Through Customs is your best bet.

Of the known finishes, the V3 (grey weathering) will be your best bet, optional with or without the shattered weathering to achieve the aged relic feel and appearance. You want something in a matte finish rather than gloss and if it were me personally I would forego the clear coat completely however if you do prefer it, go matte rather than the usual semi or gloss that's applied.

With the Crystal, I can see it happening in two applications. If your not keen on the static type like the rumoured to be released ASP type or the Gladiator type, Customs will be able to achieve a concealed release type like Ares. The alternative, because real estate has been freed on the switch part, as it will use the 2015+ version (or likely ASP part) mill windows in the two vertical accent grooves and go the crystal blade plug instead. This way you get the aesthetic.

To promote the 'taken apart, repaired, restored', use sectional housing plates as greeblies (like jade switch) but more of them to act like a virtual shroud. I'd look at extending the Body too so internals are shifted as well, providing more flexibility with the various possibilities you're exploring.

On mention of shroud, the dark secrets. Instead of etching under a glued wrap that you will never see, have the body machined separately with the 'secrets' etched as a sub hilt where the wrapped body is a removable shroud to reveal the chassis.

That's all I got for now. Maybe it helps some or maybe it doesn't. :unsure:
A lot of this will become back n forth exchanges with Customs with determining what they can do and how close to your specs. :lol:

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69947

• Watchmaker
That actually helps a lot. Thanks. Shattered weathering did come to mind, with the examples provided above and elsewhere. One thought I had was shattering centered around the crystal chamber windows, the result of trying to harness more power then either it, or the wielder, were prepared for. Or, instead of jagged, lightning like cracks, the cracks are all straight and perpendicular. Still random enough to pass for advanced wear, but perhaps it means something more.

That's a nice idea regarding the accent grooves. I was hoping for a "pop out" chamber, since it's a cooler effect, primarily. I only have a general idea on how cramped the internals are.

As for that secrets part, that does sound interesting. My thought was to not glue the wrap permanently, tying it down instead. But I don't know if that would work, either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69948

• OvrcAHst
Watchmaker wrote:
One thought I had was shattering centered around the crystal chamber windows, the result of trying to harness more power then either it, or the wielder, were prepared for. Or, instead of jagged, lightning like cracks, the cracks are all straight and perpendicular. Still random enough to pass for advanced wear, but perhaps it means something more.
Now that it's morning and I'm on the way to coffee'd-up..

Redesign the Gladiator Crystal section and extend it using the grenade couplers. Single open window for partial reveal with a cover plate to embrace the whole 'repaired' feel for removal when displayed.
I was hoping for a "pop out" chamber, since it's a cooler effect, primarily. I only have a general idea on how cramped the internals are.
CR Ares-type is a pop out without springs or you could go the CR PS/Exh/Redmr-types with spring. The current cage used is a bit flat where if you recreated it using brass rods like the reveals gen 1, certainly has more wow. This would shift the location down to between wrap and switch rather than higher up.

Further from the extended up above, there's the optional open view for crystal chamber but integrate the springload as well for complete reveal so you've got both. Cut a different shaped from Gladiator for the windows instead of the ovals.

As for that secrets part, that does sound interesting. My thought was to not glue the wrap permanently, tying it down instead. But I don't know if that would work, either.
I was thinking more like ShadowHunter Body (ASP Body6) with the removable sleeve. But instead of an open window that reveals the sub grip, have it closed and wrapped to how you want. Assembled: looks like a wrapped hilt, Sleeve removed: effective sideBYside display. The etching/writing as demonstrated on the Custom Sith Bastion.

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69951

• Watchmaker
That's.... pretty wizard. Really! A shrouded body hiding an inner layer of cryptic designs would look awesome, and if they can fit a slide-out chamber there, all the better. Although, now I'm kinda torn, as the idea with the accent cuts either side of the switch would also look interesting, even ominous. Have to see what the smiths can do.

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69953

• OvrcAHst
Should still be achievable. If the Gladiator choke (crystal part) stays solid (so Gladius) have switches horizontally opposed, as tactiles say 45 degrees left/right from centre rather than vertical, should free up space for the reveal crystal above choke. The two vertical accent grooves can either bleed residual lighting or by use of surface accent LEDs or maybe even a PLI/Bargraph? Just thinking out loud here from seeing what's been done with the available parts to SF but it'll become a detailed commission with Tom & team. :)

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69960

• Watchmaker
Accent lights on the grooves...?

Curse it all, now I'm tempted by the allure of blinky lights!

Custom Saber Idea 1 year 3 months ago #69962

• OvrcAHst
Watchmaker wrote:
Curse it all, now I'm tempted by the allure of blinky lights!
:lol: :lol:

It’s Christmas! (nearly) and lotsa …

Blinking/flashing lights are cool!

Especially with Lightsabers.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Veteran USA | Weathered w... (5 Posts)
    • Hello OvrcAHst, Another great "Glam" review. That is a nice saber, and the weathering plus brass...
    • TLJ Novel Crashcourse Rev... (14 Posts)
    • One of my favorite parts of the Sequels so far has been the chemistry between all of the new young...
    • 3D printing parts (12 Posts)
    • Quote: Im certainly hoping someone whips up a chasis for the curved hilt designs that will be coming up......
    • Veteran USA | Weathered w... (5 Posts)
    • Wow great saber! Bought an Eris and was considering to buy a Nova. After seeing your hilt, now it is...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6817
  • Latest Member: gseshan
  • Total Posts: 68.3k
  • Total Topics: 5764
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 20
  • Yesterday Answer: 43