Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Acid weathering??

Acid weathering?? 1 year 1 month ago #72772

• GAVIN1412
I ordered a saber with the acid weathering because the example pic they had looked awesome, but when I started looking for other examples of it I couldn't find it ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET, I feel brave for ordering something based on one picture, has anyone else seen any examples?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Acid weathering?? 1 year 1 month ago #72776

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 466
Basically it's an etching bath without a stencil, so the whole hilt (or at least areas you want aged) are exposed to the etching medium and that creates pitting, unevenness, etc. Longer you leave it in there, the nastier it gets.

I did a similar thing on a recent build, except I used an electro-etching method and applied the same principals to achieve a pitted, aged look. If done well it can look fantastic, especially with added enamel or other weathering to help accent the look.

Don't know how well you can see it in this pic but there is some scarring and pitting from that process around the etching area. This hilt had other things done to it as well to get it's look, but the pitting and roughness if from that process.

www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers
The following user(s) said Thank You: GAVIN1412

Acid weathering?? 1 year 1 month ago #72957

• GAVIN1412
Cool, thanks so much amigo, other examples are hard to find.

Acid weathering?? 1 year 1 month ago #72958

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 466
No problem. The level of "aging" is determined by the time spent in the bath. A quick bath (minute or two) gives the hilt a "worn" look with out overtly distressing the hilt. Leave it in there long enough though and it will end up looking like something you pulled out of the bottom of the ocean, all kinds of pits, wear, etc.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers
The following user(s) said Thank You: GAVIN1412
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Veteran USA | Weathered w... (5 Posts)
    • Hello OvrcAHst, Another great "Glam" review. That is a nice saber, and the weathering plus brass...
    • TLJ Novel Crashcourse Rev... (14 Posts)
    • One of my favorite parts of the Sequels so far has been the chemistry between all of the new young...
    • 3D printing parts (12 Posts)
    • Quote: Im certainly hoping someone whips up a chasis for the curved hilt designs that will be coming up......
    • Veteran USA | Weathered w... (5 Posts)
    • Wow great saber! Bought an Eris and was considering to buy a Nova. After seeing your hilt, now it is...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6817
  • Latest Member: gseshan
  • Total Posts: 68.3k
  • Total Topics: 5764
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 20
  • Yesterday Answer: 43