Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Powder coatings effect on the edging

Powder coatings effect on the edging 5 months 2 days ago #73490

• WookieeGunner
  • Thank you received: 11
I've been interested in getting an Archon with a gold shroud for a while, and with the sale I'm even more seriously looking at it. That being said, it is well known that the edges of the Archons shroud is a little sharper than one might want. Will the powder coating help round those out a little bit? I don't know how much the thickness of the powder coating affects the radius of the cuts.

If the powder coating doesn't, how about the acid weathering?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Powder coatings effect on the edging 5 months 2 days ago #73493

• wamphyri13
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 37
Powder coating is not very thick and wouldn't do much to soften sharp edges. You would have to buy it with a standard finish, sand and buff all sharp edges yourself at home, then send it back for powder coating. If you plan on getting it as anything other than an empty hilt, you'll probably want to just buy an empty, massage the edges at home, then send it back for electronics and powder coating, or consider one of the saber smiths here on this forum. Whatever you decide, try to plan it out with the least amount of extra labor you can. That saves time and money.
No matter where you go, there you are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WookieeGunner

Powder coatings effect on the edging 5 months 2 days ago #73495

• WookieeGunner
Thanks. That was what I was thinking, but I didn't know what "not very thick" meant. Were we talking a few mils or a millimeter or so.

Powder coatings effect on the edging 5 months 2 days ago #73497

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 531
WookieGunner, as a Archon owner, I'd have to agree with wamphyri13. Unless you request dulling of the edges in the the order comments, but I wouldn't count on that. Get the empty and send it to a smith, however many are back logged right now and Celebration around the corner, it may be a little bit of a wait either way. Good Luck, and BTW I'm a fan of gold powder-coating on an Archon. B)

The following user(s) said Thank You: WookieeGunner

Powder coatings effect on the edging 5 months 1 day ago #73500

• WookieeGunner
Nice. I was picturing only doing the shroud in gold to have a gold and black version. Maybe with the lines blacked in like you do. How did you do that?

Powder coatings effect on the edging 5 months 1 day ago #73535

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 531
Wookie Gunner a gold shroud would look amazing. I'm assuming the body section also in gold? Got my Archon through the custom shop, Dec2015. Right before ASP kickstarter ended. The lead tech at the time suggested also filling the grooves with black, so I paid a little extra. Unfortunately it's still a shell only, but I have some big plans for it one day. I really hope you proceed with your Idea. Good luck
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Boston Comic Con (15 Posts)
    • Some astromechs [attachment] Meet Master Luke and his newest Padawan [attachment] And a Dark Jedi...
    • Boston Comic Con (15 Posts)
    • Escaped the cell block thru the garbage shut. [attachment] Kidnapped an imperial officer that...
    • blade size (1 Posts)
    • I like the look of the Acolyte shoto. With a 32 inch blade, dose anyone know if it's off balance...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5467
  • Latest Member: UnipokerKew
  • Total Posts: 57.6k
  • Total Topics: 4810
  • Total Sections: 23
  • Total Categories: 128
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 2
  • Today Answer: 27
  • Yesterday Answer: 26