Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: 12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41942

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 43
Had seen something similar in another review, and had to have one like it when this hilt became available on etsy again a while back. Had to order it through the customs shop to get the finish I wanted, but was fine paying the extra fees to get to have it exactly as I wanted. Went with brass accents to contrast against the finish. Being that this was the first hilt from SF that I’ve bought with the capability to go with quick connects, I went ahead and did that. I got lime green and indigo LEDs to start, but likely to add some more options there in the future… if for nothing else, at least I can now see what the colors look like in person for a relatively low price before pulling the trigger on another thin neck, crystal, or curved hilt that can’t do the quick connects. Also with this hilt’s finish, I figured it could go either dark side or light side depending on the blade color.

The machining on this hilt is much more detailed than can really be seen in the pics from the etsy listing with the standard finish… a lot more depth to it than can be seen when all shiny. I absolutely love the grip of this thing, and the texture along the inset is perfect. The big diagonal groove of the inset section fits the ergonomics of my thumb metacarpal perfectly… just naturally sits right there. I can’t imagine a hilt feeling more comfortable in my hand than this one does. Of the 3 sabers I own, this one just blows the others out of the water in terms of grip comfort. I’m not sure if it was the original machining, or some touchup work from Justin, but there’s no sharpness along any of the edges on the cylindrical body of the hilt. I’ve gotten caught on the knuckles by the sharp corners of the little rectangular bit right at the emitter, so I may give those a little touch-up sanding.

Love the finish on the hilt, think it came out great. It’s definitely a different shade in person than in the pics, but I’m colorblind so I don’t really know to describe that well… although maybe it’s just more light shining/reflecting off of it than the shadowing it gets in ambient light. Seems to have significantly more contrast against the shiny brass in person.

The method Justin used to get this grey weathering leaves the feel of the metal somewhat tacky, and I mean that in the best possible sense. The feel in the hand is just great, doesn’t slide around… almost has a “warm” feel to it like you’re not actually holding metal, but something that conducts less heat away.

This hilt is noticeably lighter and has a center of gravity much closer to the pommel than my redeemer. Feels solid as a rock though. No wiggle in any of the components out of the box. Almost makes me wonder if there’s something loose within my redeemer as there’s a little rattle when swung/shaken in that one that this doesn’t have at all.

The quick connect LEDs are stupid easy and quick to swap out. Takes maybe 15 seconds to change between colors. Will definitely be getting this on any future hilts where it’s possible. Really dig the lime Green LED.

Now for my few things I’m not entirely thrilled about... and they’re all my own fault really.

I don’t really like the look of the Indigo LED. It’s much more pink than the deep royal purple I was hoping to achieve. I had set my other brand saber with multi color LEDS to full blue + 1/3 red (3 parts blue to one part red) to replicate what I thought the indigo would be, and LOVED the color that it created. Unfortunately the indigo looks much lighter, and pastel like almost. Definitely one of those times where it sucks being colorblind… doesn’t look anything like I had imagined it would, and I can’t tell much at all from the pics posted online. None of those look even close to what I see in person for any of the colors. Definitely glad I got the quick connects, and dig the lime green, and guess it's a good excuse to buy a couple other color LEDs to test out.

I didn’t realize that this hilt has an illuminated power button, and unfortunately, it’s also the same indigo color that I already don’t like for the blade. At some point, I’m going to either send this in to get swapped out, or wait until the warranty is done and do it myself. If there’s the possibility of a brass switch to match the other accents, I’m going to hop on it right away.

Well, enough blabbering… on to the pics.

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Salacious B Crumb.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41944

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
Great Review. Great Saber. Great Pictures.
Have been on-the-fence with Archon for a while now and with your descriptive feedback with how it just nestles so comfortably and naturally in your hand plus with the balance tip, I am sold.

The Grey Weathering is just so much more effective as a finish and when partnered with the Brass accents projects it to another level. Noted with your mention about the Indigo Led not meeting your expectations having a slight pinkish flare, did you take any pictures with this Led in? I am in total agreement with your statement about the Lime Green.

Congrats on a welcome addition to your collection. Unsure if you've mentioned them elsewhere, what are the other Sabers you own?

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41946

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
The other sabers I have are:
-SF Redeemer Champion 12+ deep blue with light weathering (I have a review up for that one already)
-US Chosen One CE w/ Emerald RGBW LED and Obsidian soundboard. This is their version of vader's original trilogy hilt with a hero tier like multicolor LED and multi-font customizable soundboard.

Honestly, I hated the indigo LED so much and so quickly, I hadn't even gotten a pic before I went to swap in the lime green.

Just swapped the indigo back in and took a couple pics. It actually looks a little better against my dark couch than it does out in the air... same couch the lime green pic is taken against

Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Salacious B Crumb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41948

• OvrcAHst
:side: hehehe.. I completely forgot about your Redeemer Post, just had another look, even forgot I posted a comment too. (haha-feel so stupid)

I've got a few US' also. I only went for the Obsidian Lite for each. Chosen One CE would make it a nickel plated finish right? and (if I remember right, haven't been back to that site since I took delivery) you're referencing the Emerald V4?

Obviously there's a substantially difference with in-person versus image reference, but I actually like the look of your Indigo (in the picture anyway). The Lime Green 'pops' but IMO, the Indigo ain't really that bad. Maybe the LG's calling was more audible and the Indigo will be the subtle one that will gradually grow on you? ;)

Very Nice. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my Q's. Great choice in Hilt.

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41949

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
The CE is the nickel plated finish, and while I don't know the emerald version it is the V4 obsidian soundboard.

the blade color in person doesn't seem as dark as those pics, think it picks up a lot from the dark brown couch it's sitting on. I wanted the blade color to look like the rich color the reflection on the couch itself looks like in the pics. When holding the blade in the air without a close dark backdrop, it's much lighter of a color.

Unfortunately, I already have an exhalted on order with an indigo LED, and the thin necks can't have quick connects. I know we can't alter an order anymore (already tried to change color on that one a couple weeks ago). Maybe I can get them to just hold up on sending it, and pay a fee to change the LED out with another color instead of having to send it back in.

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41950

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 506
That grey weathered Archon looks awesome! Well done! Was that something you suggested or collaborated with Justin P at customs? :woohoo:

Welcome to the Archon club!
"I am the Senate"

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41952

• OvrcAHst
There ain't nothing unfortunate about having an Exhalted on order. I see your concerns though with your apprehensions with the Indigo. Without knowing how far in your Exhalted is with when you ordered it, but as you say, with making the enquiry a few weeks back and the reply was "no dice", there should be some alternatives to get the colour you want without the added hassle of logistical to and fro.

A standard finish Amber Champion Exhalted is another of my wishlist just like the Archon. Will likely go standard finish on that too now that's its polished silver with contrast black anodise instead of the silver anodise and black anodise accent it was before. Have been toying with the idea of a Grey Weathered Rebel in Cyan too.

I do hope a solution presents itself to your Led dilemma.

@Execute66
Welcome to the Archon club!
:ohmy: was that a subtle admittance that there's a future pool with an Archon in addition to the pool with a Reborn too? :cheer:
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by OvrcAHst.

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41954

• GreyJedi73
  • Thank you received: 15
WOW! The grey weathered \archon looks amazing. I was on the femce about this hilt but this version is one of the best I've seen.

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41959

• Darth Crain
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 71
Great hilt man ! I really like the Archon,, If I get it, it might be a standard finish.. but that grey weathered with brass accents makes it quite awesome!! enjoy it !

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41967

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 560
That hilt looks fantastic, congrats, man! For myself, I'd have to say I'm still drawn to the Indigo. Maybe I need to see it in person via some quick connects like you did. But the green looks amazing, too.

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41982

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1070
Awesome saber man! It is totally cool to have a stock saber that you have put your personal touch to in order to make it quite unique! Especially when it is something as fantastic as an Archon, which is a great saber even in stock form!

You have my congratulations, and my envy!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41992

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
Found this review for a custom Guardian with a brass AV switch, so I went ahead and sent Justin an email to see when I might be able to send this hilt in to have that replaced.

https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/guardian/2228-custom-guardian-12w#25605

With a brass switch on here, and a couple other color LEDs, I think I'll be perfectly happy with how this came out. So darn close that it's a bit frustrating, but definitely my own fault for not realizing the default switch type was illuminated, or specifying that I wanted the switch this way. I even went back to my original email request and I detail every other part EXCEPT the damn switch (covertec, kill key, blade plug)... oh well, you live and you learn. I'm going to make sure I clarify non-illuminated AV switches on any future saber orders. I don't think I would ever want it lit up even if I did like the color.

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #41994

• BZArcher
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 90
Salacious, I've got a Reborn coming with a 12w+ Purple QC led. I might be willing to trade for your Indigo if you're interested!
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #42012

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
To be honest, it looks like you received either a purple or even pink LED unit, or if it is indigo the royal blue LEDs aren't working properly. If it isn't too much trouble, could you take a picture of the LED shining at a wall without a blade or plug?
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #42089

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
BZArcher, I think I'm wanting less red in mine, and going to purple would be moving the wrong direction if I understand things correctly.

Jaden, here's a pic of the Indigo LED with no attachments shined against the wall.

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #42092

• greyjediDude
  • Platinum Member
  • Fear is not real. It is the product of thoughts you create. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice.
  • Thank you received: 72
The Archon is next on my list. Damn you got yourself a nice saber. What do you guys think, should I get one in indigo or amber? I wanted to have it in a really Royality color suited for a king or emperor.
Light and darkness, you cannot have one without the other. To achieve equilibriem you must be in harmony with both; the path between.

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #42093

• OvrcAHst
@Zen Lebowski GreyJediDude

Go both in QCs and add a Frost White to it while you're there ;)

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #42096

• MarcoFett
  • Thank you received: 5
Man that's a beautiful saber! I'm waiting on my archon to come.
I asked for it to be weathered on etsy so I'm hoping it comes weathered but if not I'll still be happy as it is such a good looking saber whatever the finish.
It's A Trap!

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #42152

• BZArcher
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 90
Gotcha!

If you want less red, it might be worth talking to the custom shop if they could wire you up something with 3 blues and 1 red, maybe? Or even go to the deep blue.

12W+ Custom Grey Weathered Archon w/ brass accents 1 year 4 months ago #42175

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
  • How hard can rocket science be anyway?
  • Thank you received: 143
If my understanding is correct, the Indigo is already 3 Royal blue LEDs and 1 Red LED.
The above post may be subject to editing. A lot of editing.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Korbanth Duke-I've been l... (5 Posts)
    • I'm gonna just have to remove the pommel to pull the kill key, its a single allen, the sleep mode on...
    • Ezra (Rebels) Hilt Possib... (3 Posts)
    • The "Interest Sign-up Sheet" that Phil mentioned has been posted in the FB group. The link is here:...
    • Saberforge Heretic & ... (6 Posts)
    • Quote: I bought the Heretic on the 24th May and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. It will be my first...
    • Tanto Hilts Coming! (3 Posts)
    • The Apprentice versions are perfect. I'll give the Tanto a pass.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5294
  • Latest Member: neoskamark
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4709
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 20