Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: 12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62063

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 114
So, another day, another Guardian ;) This one is one of the limited edition/now custom order crystal reveal Guardians, and I will put a short little video here the same as my other review. The video talks about a few minor changes to the normal Guardian, and focuses mainly on the Crystal Chamber. Anything else I will talk about here in writing.

As this is essentially the same as my Custom Guardian, just without the weathering and with a crystal chamber, much of my opinions remain the same, but I will quickly go back over them, then discuss the chamber itself.

Again, this hilt is very nice to weild, with the red knob still not getting in the way, and barely limiting hand placement from the standard issue Guardian, very easy and comfortable to spin.

In terms of the electronics, the Viridium soundboard is lovely and loud, with it being maybe slightly louder on this due to the speaker being a very small bit closer to the pommel, as I say in the video perhaps half an inch or so. The 12W+ Green LED is bright as ever as well, still impressed by it despite having my other saber for two weeks, any time I turn one of them on, it still amazes me how bright these things come out as.

Now, onto the crystal chamber, as I'm sure that is what you all want to hear about. It really adds something to the saber, whether you unscrew it enough to just show it through the little window in the back, or open it up completely for display, it really does make it feel like an "actual" lightsaber, just that little bit more than light and sounds do. As I say in the video, it will make an excellent addition to anyone's display shelf, which is what it will be doing on mine. In terms of its duel readiness, I believe I recall seeing both Daniel Lane and Phil Isherwood mentioning that it is duel ready, but I didn't recieve any warranty saying that it was warrantied for dueling. Take that how you will, but even if it had a warranty I doubt I would ever want to duel with a crystal saber, or at least nothing coming close to full contact dueling.

In terms of the difference to my Custom Guardian, it of course lacks the shattered weathering, and the weathering to the black main body of the hilt. I do still prefer the custom weathering by Shameem, it gives the saber a nicer overall look in my opinion, but the crystal chamber more than makes up for it.

Finally, I will mention the new blade plug and low profile kill key. Wow. In pictures I thought "oh, they look pretty cool, but I don't mind the old ones" The pictures do not do it justice. It is absolutely gorgeous, and a difference that I certainly appreciate. The kill key I am indifferent to, although I will mention, it is rather hard to remove, being such a low profile thing, and I have pretty small hands, so I imagine it would be a bit painful for anyone with larger hands to remove, but use of the allen key or other small implement can get it out if your hands cannot.

And of course, now come the pictures ;) Enjoy folks.

Last Edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by TheGrandAdmiral.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Greysider, Borommakot, OvrcAHst

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62065

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, OvrcAHst

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62066

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member

And that's the lot :)
Last Edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by TheGrandAdmiral.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Borommakot, OvrcAHst

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62082

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 560
Awesome :) A very cool addition to a classic hilt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheGrandAdmiral

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62087

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
Borommakot wrote:
Awesome :) A very cool addition to a classic hilt.

Thanks. It is a nice addition, and makes for a very nice paired set with my shattered one, almost as if the owner realised the weapon was getting a bit battered and thought it time to make a new, improved version.

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62089

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
That's a pretty genius way to make a crystal chamber. About how long is it from the bottom of the LED to the top of the threads?
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62092

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
Jaden Korr wrote:
That's a pretty genius way to make a crystal chamber. About how long is it from the bottom of the LED to the top of the threads?

A tiny bit over an inch by my measurements. Small, but it works for the hilt it is in :)

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62103

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 523
Interesting design to incorporate the crystal chamber and the LED module. I'm baffled that they didn't mill the window in the emitter shroud with it tightened down.Unscrewing it to expose the chamber is not duel worthy IMO. Sort of pointless to even have the window.

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62109

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 299
Very pretty. And the green speaks for itself! Enjoy!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62115

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
Love it! I want one. Must have one. Congratulations TGA. Great addition.

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62135

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
The way the Crystal Reveal is done on this saber really suits the hilt. Very nice indeed!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62147

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
=Ottomatix= wrote:
Interesting design to incorporate the crystal chamber and the LED module. I'm baffled that they didn't mill the window in the emitter shroud with it tightened down.Unscrewing it to expose the chamber is not duel worthy IMO. Sort of pointless to even have the window.

I believe the only time to duel with this would be when it is screwed in, like a normal Guardian, and when the chamber is open, it is for display only, which makes sense really, if you want a full crystal chamber (not just a quarter of an inch window) dueling with one is probably always gonna be a bit of a bad idea.

Meh, I personally do not mind. I have my other Guardian should I wish to duel with one, and this will be display only, maybe some very light hitting, nothing even approching full speed and contact. The window unscrewing to the back is only a 45 degree turn anyway, it could survive some hits no problem I'm sure, there is still 90% of the thread it hasn't travelled at that point.

Still, I would personally still only get the crystal chamber sabers for diplay pieces, no matter how many times Daniel Lane or Phil tell me it is okay to duel with one :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62150

• OvrcAHst
TGA, my interest with this Saber has not lessened. A point of difference with stock Guardian versus Custom is the Red Activation Button mounted on top of the AV Switch. The Lit AV obviously functions consistently as if it were stock. Are you able to tell how the Red Button is secured to the AV or is glue the obvious conclusion? When handling (wielding) during spins/shadow/light duelling, how are the curved points on the Body shroud design, Do they cut into your hand? Also, as essentially a greeblie has been added to the recessed AV does it become an obvious snag-point? (This latter query follows-on from how the Red Button is secured and how easily it may come off).

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 4 weeks ago #62151

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 506
Wow, one of a kind! Congratz on a unique saber!
"I am the Senate"

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 3 weeks ago #62157

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
TGA, my interest with this Saber has not lessened. A point of difference with stock Guardian versus Custom is the Red Activation Button mounted on top of the AV Switch. The Lit AV obviously functions consistently as if it were stock. Are you able to tell how the Red Button is secured to the AV or is glue the obvious conclusion? When handling (wielding) during spins/shadow/light duelling, how are the curved points on the Body shroud design, Do they cut into your hand? Also, as essentially a greeblie has been added to the recessed AV does it become an obvious snag-point? (This latter query follows-on from how the Red Button is secured and how easily it may come off).

I can't honestly tell how the button is attatched, there does appear to be some glue there, but I would not be surprised if it is also drilled or screwed into the activation switch as well. I must make a note to drop Daniel a message about that, so I'll get back to you on that.

In terms of the shroud, yes, thost points near the switch are fairly sharp, and if held at the wrong angle would absolutely be capable of cutting. Nothing a little sanding can't fix, but I don't even grip the saber near those anyway. The only places I grip this are at the two chokepoints under the emitter and further down the grip section.

The red button is a minor snag point, very slightly limiting the available grip points on the saber, however, for single handed wielding, the best place I have found to hold it is at the top anyway, with my palm on the opposite side to the button, which for my hands leave a solid inch and a quarter extra space before reaching the top of the switch from my little finger. Leaves a fair whack of space for someone with larger hands, but it really depends on the individual.

Obviously how easily it may come off depends on the answer from Daniel about how it is secured, but even if it is glued it shows no signs of budging the few times I have caught it.
Last Edit: 11 months 3 weeks ago by TheGrandAdmiral.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 3 weeks ago #62158

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
Execute66 wrote:
Wow, one of a kind! Congratz on a unique saber!

Well, almost haha. It's one of a set of 5, but that number might grow if people order it custom made from the customs shop, which was indicated is possible by the forum post after they had all been sold.

FS Limited Run Crystal Reveal Guardian

Mentioned at the end that they can be commissioned for the same price as the limited run lot.

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 3 weeks ago #62161

• OvrcAHst
Thanks for the reply TGA. Tell me, does the Covertech secure the Shroud on this Custom version also? In the unlikely event I have success with getting one from Daniel, I typically like my Hilts Covertech-less as I remove them after delivery. Compared to my US Consular, the Covertech is smack in the Body's centre and doubles as a fix-point. Haven't found a suitable part with rounded head to substitute it out yet and doesn't detract from the overall aesthetics.

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 3 weeks ago #62163

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
Thanks for the reply TGA. Tell me, does the Covertech secure the Shroud on this Custom version also? In the unlikely event I have success with getting one from Daniel, I typically like my Hilts Covertech-less as I remove them after delivery. Compared to my US Consular, the Covertech is smack in the Body's centre and doubles as a fix-point. Haven't found a suitable part with rounded head to substitute it out yet and doesn't detract from the overall aesthetics.

Yeah, the covertech serves the same securing function as the normal Guardian I'm afraid, not sure what would work to replace it.

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 3 weeks ago #62171

• hugomontoya
  • Thank you received: 8
Congrats TGA.
Definitely agree with you that if SF did not officially warranty these crystal sabers to duel then it should definitely remain on its stand to be admired.
Great video and pics and loved your review.

12W+ Green Crystal Reveal Guardian 11 months 3 weeks ago #62183

• TheGrandAdmiral
  • Elite Member
Quick quote of the response from Daniel regarding the red button:
"So normally those little center discs are tension mounted in to the lit ring
I drill them out, tap them then screw the thumbscrew in and glue it in place"
hugomontoya wrote:
Congrats TGA.
Definitely agree with you that if SF did not officially warranty these crystal sabers to duel then it should definitely remain on its stand to be admired.
Great video and pics and loved your review.

Yeah, for sure. Glad you liked it and thanks for the praise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Korbanth Duke-I've been l... (5 Posts)
    • I'm gonna just have to remove the pommel to pull the kill key, its a single allen, the sleep mode on...
    • Ezra (Rebels) Hilt Possib... (3 Posts)
    • The "Interest Sign-up Sheet" that Phil mentioned has been posted in the FB group. The link is here:...
    • Saberforge Heretic & ... (6 Posts)
    • Quote: I bought the Heretic on the 24th May and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. It will be my first...
    • Tanto Hilts Coming! (3 Posts)
    • The Apprentice versions are perfect. I'll give the Tanto a pass.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5294
  • Latest Member: neoskamark
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4709
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 20