Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26635

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
  • Do no harm, but take no shit.
  • Thank you received: 271
I've posted this saber long ago however with the new addition of the Customs category I figured I'd share it again. But first for those of you who are fairly new. I will give a bit of a background.

This baby was my first saber (and no longer in my possession). I bought it right when the Phoenix was released and during the 2 months wait time for its arrival I thought non stop about how I can modify it. I do that with most things that I plan to modify. I always picture it for what it can become instead of how I see it in a stock photo. The hilt first arrived in a Champion Tier Crimson font with a 12w Red and a spare 12w Light Blue (it had quick connects). The only other thing I asked for was the black anodized body A/V switch with a White LED ring which they graciously installed to appease my tastes. I liked how the black switch blended in to the black body of the hilt.

Not long after unpacking the hilt the shroud retention knob came loose and would not thread back in but I found ways around it. A month down the road and the LED crapped out (I assume there was a short in the wiring) and I had to send my baby back for repairs. When I sent it back I was lucky enough that the Custom Shop had just opened it's doors for business, so I contacted Justin and told him what I envisioned. I took advantage of a situation and instead of bad luck in needing repairs, I looked at it as good fortune in having a pro complete my mods (instead of myself and not void warranty). He promptly completed my custom requests along with some slight changes as I replaced the Crimson font with the Viridium font and he upgraded my LED to a 12w+ Cyan (which is still to this day one of my absolute faves).

I asked for photos, but the guy just wouldn't let me see them and I had to wait in angst for this thing to return for me to finally see the glorious piece that it became. The modifications I requested were as follows:

- Removal of anodized coating on shroud and return it to a standard 220 finish
- Justin suggested the machining down of the pommel which turned out great and then finished it in a dual tone.
- Since the shroud retention knob no longer stayed in place (and was a P.O.S. to wield the hilt with it in place). I told him to remove it all together and rotate the shroud 180° and adhere the shroud in place so it would no longer require a set screw.
- Now the original opening in the shroud for the retention knob is located on the bottom of the hilt so he machined the body down and installed some Graflex pins that I requested. I wasn't sure on the amount to install (I know I wanted at least 2) but he made the mention of a tri-force. We both laughed and then went with 3 pins.
- Lastly I had him drill and tap another area for a blade retention screw on the opposite side for me to add a custom brass greeblie that I had made from cutting down a machine screw for a tattoo gun.

I ended up naming it the Prestige. And this is how it turned out…

Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by NeBosa.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26636

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
And a few more.
The picture with the green blade is with a VV Photon blade installed but still the Cyan LED.

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26651

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 28
Still looks crazy awesome man! I really like how the customizations turned out, particularly the removal of the anodizing coat and the dual tone colouring. Very nice!

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26666

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
Thanks a lot Zed!

It was elegant and comfortable to hold. The added pins and finish truly give it that classic feel and payed homage to all the designs of the Ka'Tano, the Graflex, the Redeemer and the Silver Knight. When at home it was always in view if it was not already on me or next me.

I miss it man, lol

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26672

• greyjediDude
  • Platinum Member
  • Fear is not real. It is the product of thoughts you create. Danger is very real, but fear is a choice.
  • Thank you received: 72
Looks just like mine, just without the tri-pins. It's fortunate you actually got this back. What a journey that saber has been through.
Light and darkness, you cannot have one without the other. To achieve equilibriem you must be in harmony with both; the path between.

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26676

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 183
Lovely, of course because it looks just like mine that I received two days ago! I shall do a youtube on mine.
"I am the Senate"

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26680

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
Happy to see my old saber was able to inspire similar builds.

*Greyjedidude- It's actually unfortunate because it didn't make its way back to me. I sold it Jordan Moll in October and he still has it. I'm unsure if I'll do another. I have a list of 7 I'd prefer to get before getting another Phoenix :)
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by NeBosa.

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26711

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 335
I'm about to send in my Phoenix to get a similar mod except I'm going to leave the pommel alone and I'm going to have the graflex holes on the opposite side of the top greeblie. Gonna be a "sister" saber to my Katano.

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26715

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
Nice!
So you're keeping the top retention knob but installing pins on the bottom side opposite of it. That was one of my suggestions also but for some reason, Justin really didn't want to drill a hole thru the shroud? Because I was going to put the pins in the bottom and a graflex type screw on the top (in place of the shroud retention knob). And I ended up going with the way it is shown.
I really liked how the machining of the pommel turned out and would definitely recommend it. I had a tough time with the duel tone of it though. A part of my brain just didn't like it and would have preferred to see it in a different manner.

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26734

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
So you're keeping the top retention knob but installing pins on the bottom side opposite of it. That was one of my suggestions also but for some reason, Justin really didn't want to drill a hole thru the shroud? Because I was going to put the pins in the bottom and a graflex type screw on the top (in place of the shroud retention knob). And I ended up going with the way it is shown.
That's the plan. I'm also getting the same done for my Katano (I forgot to ask for this the first time around :pinch: ). He hasn't given me any feedback about the drilling thing, I should probably make sure we're both talking about the same thing on our next email.
I really liked how the machining of the pommel turned out and would definitely recommend it. I had a tough time with the duel tone of it though. A part of my brain just didn't like it and would have preferred to see it in a different manner.
I want it left the way it is. The milling down is interesting but alotta people are doing it.

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26736

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
Ya,
sometimes words can get lost in translation due to trying to describe an image and then hoping he is imagining the same thing based on the words you use…

I will usually take their stock photos of the saber I'm getting him to work on and use MS Paint or Photoshop or whatever program, then make diagrams. I literally draw arrows to certain locations and then use other photos and be like 'this is where I want this'. I position them where I want them and write it out in point form on the diagram next to each arrow location and explain my thoughts further in emails. I just try to be as literal and transparent as I possibly can so there are no misunderstandings of what I'm looking for.

When I had it in hand, I liked the feel of the milled pommel. It took some weight off the bottom of the saber and felt a little more balanced. The part that I didn't like about the dual tone was the separation of the "cubed" area. I think I would have either preferred it to be all black or all silver.

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26753

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
I will usually take their stock photos of the saber I'm getting him to work on and use MS Paint or Photoshop or whatever program, then make diagrams. I literally draw arrows to certain locations and then use other photos and be like 'this is where I want this'. I position them where I want them and write it out in point form on the diagram next to each arrow location and explain my thoughts further in emails. I just try to be as literal and transparent as I possibly can so there are no misunderstandings of what I'm looking for.
Yeah, I usually send pics with scribbles all over them too.

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26836

• Aidzer0
  • Thank you received: 16
Hello, awesome Hilt, I just want to find out what type of blade plug you had there? looks like a mini turbine :P .

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 2 weeks ago #26840

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
lol thanks man.
I no longer have this hilt either as I sold it back in October to acquire a Mauler staff. But here's the link to Shayne and Darkside Engineering. The page is set up kind of weird, but all the info you need to order one is there.

http://imperialroyalarms.com/thread/1456/arkm-dse-razor-blade-plugs

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 1 week ago #26949

• Aidzer0
  • Thank you received: 16
Thank you kindly Sir

Custom Phoenix 12w+ Cyan Champion 6 months 1 week ago #26952

• NeBosa
  • Platinum Member
Anytime my friend.
Always glad to help with any questions that I'm capable of answering
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• recharge port vs warrior ... (35 Posts)
    • Quote: Ok so I orderd a reliant initiate for a build that I am paying someone to do and requested no glue...
    • recharge port vs warrior ... (35 Posts)
    • Ok so I orderd a reliant initiate for a build that I am paying someone to do and requested no glue...
    • Custom Fury (8 Posts)
    • Looks really good, shiny sabers are always a nice sight. On another note, I really hope this isnt...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4353
  • Latest Member: Oro
  • Total Posts: 43.4k
  • Total Topics: 3148
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 11
  • Today Answer: 36
  • Yesterday Answer: 88