Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Is movie this a good idea, or even necessary?

Is movie this a good idea, or even necessary? 2 months 1 week ago #74591

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
I have forgotten to come back here, and update this thread since some information surfaced about it. However, I still wonder if we really want to know this much about the character, or if it was better leaving it to the imagination as to how he became who he was?

What do you think?
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is movie this a good idea, or even necessary? 2 months 1 week ago #74592

• RotundChap
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I'll see it. The Star Wars movies we all know and love basically follow the Skywalker family. But there are sooo many other amazing characters and stories in that universe that would be great for the big screen.

If it can be done as well as Rogue One, I'm all for it.

Is movie this a good idea, or even necessary? 2 months 1 week ago #74593

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
Oh, I am right there with you! I will see it, just because it is Star Wars. However, I am not sure I am totally sold on the necessity to explore this particular character THIS in-depth. I suppose, in the end, it depends on how they do it, and whether they can make it something that contributes to the legend, and mystique of Han, or takes away from it.

IMHO, the biggest damage Lucas did to the character, was when he amended the Greedo death scene. I liked that, while Han was a good guy for the most part, he was somebody you did not want to screw with, or you ended up like Greedo! It was perfect the way it was, but now it is forever diluted by George's need to make that scene 12-year old friendly.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Is movie this a good idea, or even necessary? 2 months 1 week ago #74594

• RotundChap
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I get that. Luckily he's learned from the mistakes of the ep 4/5/6 remakes. It seems even learned things from us fans after ep 1 (i.e. jar-jar's diminishing screen time in ep2 and ep3). I think he understands he'll piss A LOT of people off if he screws up this movie.

I try not to google or read too much about movies i know i'll like because i want to be surprised when i first see it. But do we know anything about the possible storyline for the Solo movie?

Is movie this a good idea, or even necessary? 2 months 1 week ago #74595

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 263
This is probably the one character movie I would be hesitant about. Han Solo is such an iconic character, and forever linked with Harrison Ford. On the surface I like the idea of some Han Solo back story, but I almost wish it was done as an animated series, rather than a movie. I personally feel it will be jarring to see any other person play Han Solo.

Ewan Mcgregor works with Obi-Wan, but that was partially because our firsts glimpses of Obi-Wan were as an old man. In ANH we see Han in his prime....

I'll see it, but I have a feeling this may be the first "bad" starwars film that Disney will make.

And I do hope they prove me completely wrong. I hope it's awesome.

Is movie this a good idea, or even necessary? 2 months 1 week ago #74596

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 76
Start as Yoda you have talking Brax? :lol:

I don't know; on the one hand I'm really excited seeing as the cast looks so promising and unlike say other characters in Star Wars - Palpatine, Yoda, Boba Fett (even though we got that while we didn't want it) - I feel Han isn't that much shrouded in mystery that a backstory would ruin him.

... That being said; I heard rumors that the movie might delve into the fact that Han Solo is not his real name.
Right now I'm hoping it's just Disney pumping out different rumours to keep fans of the real story, but in case it does hold truth - I don't understand why.
Han Solo has a certain aura around him that makes you think 'I don't exactly know-know this guy and don't know what he might've been up to in his life' - yet, he doesn't give you the same feel or vibe as Boba Fett, Yoda, Palpatine or Snoke (or Darth Vader when we first saw the movies and didn't found out the truth until Empire) where you can't even make educated guesses and assume certain things.

The fact that they feel Han Solo should be mysterious and that therefore that's not his real name, makes me kind of worried they'll try to make his backstory to epic and big than he deserves; after all, Han Solo to me is as Brax describes him; a tough guy that might have a moral compass that points in the right direction, but who skirts the borders of what's acceptable - and legal - and has a philosophy of looking out for himself.
To me he's the fortune-seeker in the Wild West, a cowboy who wants to make the best of life with the cards he's been dealt and will go to certain lengths to achieve that dream - he is not some sort of mystical John Wick type character with a history as whatever Disney might come up with.

So yeah, conflicted about this one as I feel so far Disney has knocked it outta the park with both TFA and Rogue One and by the looks of the teaser for Last Jedi, is actually trying to bring new depths to the saga, without losing what makes these stories work.
That and the cast just seems brilliantly picked, so I really hope this could be amazing :cheer:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Is movie this a good idea, or even necessary? 2 months 1 week ago #74616

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 523
Opening crawl then Act 1, Han's back story and meets Chewie. ACT 2 wins Falcon fair and square from Lando.Act 3 Makes legendary Kessel run, Roll credits. Disney Plz don't ¡!¡!

Is movie this a good idea, or even necessary? 2 months 1 week ago #74624

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 298
I'll see it as well. It's Star Wars. But I have to admit I'm not totally sold on this one. I'm reserving judgment for when the time comes... :dry:
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Han Solo Movie Loses Dire... (25 Posts)
    • If this is even remotely true, not only were the two directors fired for good cause, it makes Ron...
    • PS-Luke V2 done (24 Posts)
    • Final internal photo's of this install, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna put the Graflex logo clamp on once...
    • Dark Brown Leather Wraps (1 Posts)
    • Hello! I'm considering ordering a 12w medium blue warrior tier disciple with the dark brown leather...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5263
  • Latest Member: SithLordShrek
  • Total Posts: 56.1k
  • Total Topics: 4687
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 1
  • Yesterday Answer: 21