Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Plug & Play Champion and Hero Kits Now Available!

Plug & Play Champion and Hero Kits Now Available! 7 months 4 weeks ago #68416

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
No, haven't had a chance to test for that yet. I'll reseal it with electrical tape, charge the board, and run it until it dies tonight to try it out.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Plug & Play Champion and Hero Kits Now Available! 7 months 4 weeks ago #68432

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
Snakeyeez99, besides the SD Card that was AWOL, did the Kit arrive as pictured on site with cardslot facing emitter or facing Pommel? Contemplating potential access if trigger is pulled.

Plug & Play Champion and Hero Kits Now Available! 7 months 4 weeks ago #68450

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, the card is facing the emitter as shown on the website. For me it actually works pretty well... since I have a coupler between my body and pommel the electronics kit cannot actually be pulled through the pommel. Instead I'm removing the body, coupler and pommel assembly and getting easy access that way.

Now that I have some tape around the board module there's enough friction to hold it still in the hilt, but the thick tether of wires can be used to pull the module out from the base of the body.

In terms of heating up in my trial last night there didn't seem to be too many issues. The board was kinda warm, but I think that's because it was in the hilt which was itself very hot because the LED module was running at 255 on all dies at the time. If you're planning on running it always on for Cons or something it might be worth looking into finding a way to vent the hot air inside the hilt. I doubt much is going through the pommel or emitter because of the speaker and the blade plug/LED blocking the path.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Plug & Play Champion and Hero Kits Now Available! 7 months 4 weeks ago #68451

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 259
I feel like this is where I need to put some of my previous extreme cooling of computers experience to work. Not a lot of real estate to work with, but could probably come up with some creative cooling solutions for the LED and the board.

My mind is going to some method of either using the natural heat capacitance of water, or a heat pipe transfer to the hilt/pommel.

Plug & Play Champion and Hero Kits Now Available! 7 months 4 weeks ago #68476

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1602
Snakeeyz99 wrote:
Yeah, the card is facing the emitter as shown on the website. For me it actually works pretty well... since I have a coupler between my body and pommel the electronics kit cannot actually be pulled through the pommel.
*reaching for another coffee* if the orientation of the SD slot was, as it has been (pommel-facing), wouldn't access still simply require a pommel unscrew, regardless of the coupler in between or not?
Instead I'm removing the body, coupler and pommel assembly and getting easy access that way.
Kinda like your typical Graflex assembly removal for internals access then?
In terms of heating up in my trial last night there didn't seem to be too many issues. The board was kinda warm, but I think that's because it was in the hilt which was itself very hot because the LED module was running at 255 on all dies at the time. If you're planning on running it always on for Cons or something it might be worth looking into finding a way to vent the hot air inside the hilt. I doubt much is going through the pommel or emitter because of the speaker and the blade plug/LED blocking the path.
Relative to location (and used coupler type) would vents in said coupler assist temperature dispersion or make no difference?

Plug & Play Champion and Hero Kits Now Available! 7 months 4 weeks ago #68487

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
*reaching for another coffee* if the orientation of the SD slot was, as it has been (pommel-facing), wouldn't access still simply require a pommel unscrew, regardless of the coupler in between or not?

Relative to location (and used coupler type) would vents in said coupler assist temperature dispersion or make no difference?

The big issue here is that the coupler actually has a smaller ID than the rest of the hilt. Because of this, the best I was able to do is slide the electronics through the top of the body so the speaker rests on the coupler (which ends up acting as a resonance chamber) just adjacent to the covertech knob. That would make the pommel coupler basically useless for venting. Hopefully this diagram better explains the dynamics within the hilt:

Edit: It just occurred to me that the reason the SD card faces the emitter now is because the speaker is stationary and would block SD card access at the pommel. So even if I could reach the SD card from the rear, I wouldn't be able to get past the speaker.
Last Edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by Snakeeyz99. Reason: Eureka
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Plug & Play Champion and Hero Kits Now Available! 2 weeks 3 days ago #75933

• robervega
Maybe you said but I would like to see the wiring diagram, since I still don´t understand how the rumble motor is conected to the board.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Anovos Shock Trooper Helm... (4 Posts)
    • Another great review. I really appreciate you taking the time to point out the positives, as well...
    • Black finish? (3 Posts)
    • I've seen the emerald in the black finish. Looked fantastic, love to see some others
    • Best adhesive for switch ... (3 Posts)
    • I normally use a single drop of super glue, it holds fine and I've never had one come loose but with...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5235
  • Latest Member: Robinsonfap
  • Total Posts: 55.9k
  • Total Topics: 4667
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 6
  • Yesterday Answer: 7