Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80011

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1763
Phil just posted this on the FaceBook feed:
Shameem Moshrefzadeh ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!! ? I always hated the anodized silver finish. Hope to see this new shiny finish on your Ka'Tano as well.

Phillip Isherwood I am planning a run of Ka'Tano with the same finish as the Count, going to do several in this finish, going to call it the platinum series.

Shameem Moshrefzadeh Beautiful!

Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, =Ottomatix=, scifidude79

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80012

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1763
I have thought about the Phoenix in the past, but that anodized silver finish always kept me from seriously considering it. Now this I can get behind!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80013

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 364
I want one. I hate the finish on the Phoenix but like the design.

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80014

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 537
I've kind of regretted selling the one I picked up on the Flash Sale ... but, not so much now that this is an option haha. A serious possibility for the future.

Though I'm curious if the brushed finish is also carried over to ALL parts of the hilt? Specifically the "bunny ears" and recessed areas of the pommel. If the Archon and Princess hilts are any indication, the "extra bits" like bunny ears and control boxes as well as the "low points" on the hilts don't get the brushed treatment. I can't quite tell from the pics on FB.

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80016

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 740
Beautiful, perfect coincidence. Currently another Phoenix of a different finish to the standard one on offer, which never really clicked with me.

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80019

• TandT98owl
  • Thank you received: 6
KelbornX wrote:
I've kind of regretted selling the one I picked up on the Flash Sale ... but, not so much now that this is an option haha. A serious possibility for the future.

Though I'm curious if the brushed finish is also carried over to ALL parts of the hilt? Specifically the "bunny ears" and recessed areas of the pommel. If the Archon and Princess hilts are any indication, the "extra bits" like bunny ears and control boxes as well as the "low points" on the hilts don't get the brushed treatment. I can't quite tell from the pics on FB.

Hmm...good point. From pictures on main site, looks like bunny ears and entire pommel don't get brushed finished.

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80020

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 319
Bunny ears and pommel cubes remain matte finish, the shroud and pommel cap are now shiny brushed. The matte is actually a result of media blasting to remove machine marks, much like a painter removing brush marks. On a cylinder we can hand lathe the part to give it a brushed finish and remove machine marks that way, but on parts that are not cylindrical with nooks and crannies they will be matte.

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80028

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
That finish is OK on parts like bunny ears, that's how my Prodigy is. I just don't want the whole hilt in that finish.

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80033

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 537
SFGrandMaster-Phil wrote:
Bunny ears and pommel cubes remain matte finish, the shroud and pommel cap are now shiny brushed. The matte is actually a result of media blasting to remove machine marks, much like a painter removing brush marks. On a cylinder we can hand lathe the part to give it a brushed finish and remove machine marks that way, but on parts that are not cylindrical with nooks and crannies they will be matte.

Understandable. It definitely streamlines the finishing process doing it that way. I'm not opposed to hand sanding or taking a metal file to it and finishing up with steel wool on my own if need be. :)

It would be pretty cool if that media blasting could make it's way into the "Hilt Finish" options... just putting it out there. ;) There's a few hilts that I think could do nicely with media blasting as a base for weathering with aluminum black.

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80034

• wamphyri13
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Wasn't the silver finish that used to be offered just a media blast finish?
"Hold on to 16 as long as you can, changes come around real soon make us women and men." - John Mellencamp

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80080

• Blue Wielder
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Am I missing something?

Instagram says the brushed Phoenix is available on the main site but I can't find it. The Phoenix is on sale but I don't see brushed as an option. Is it the new standard?
Current SF Sabers: Aeon V1 Mint Green, Vengeance QC Cyan
Mystery Box Loot: champion exhalted in indigo with energy vibration upgrade, shoto bastion

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 4 weeks ago #80081

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Blue Wielder wrote:
Is it the new standard?

I think it may be, because I noticed last night that the pics on the site show the shiny finish. I hope it is, because I ordered one in standard finish a few hours ago. ;)

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 3 weeks ago #80367

• BZArcher
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 92
Well, I ordered an empty Phoenix in standard finish with the flash sale, so I'll let you know when it gets here...

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 3 weeks ago #80368

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 282
Seems to me that I heard that the sale Phoenix is the anodized version till they sell out.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 2 weeks ago #80508

• BZArcher
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 92
Judge for yourself, but this looks awfully like the new style finish to me, comparing the announcement pictures to some older reviews.

Unfortunately I am having a devil of a time getting my spare ASP warrior kit into this thing. Much respect for the folks doing installs on these every day!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 2 weeks ago #80516

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
It looks like the brushed finish to me. The way you can actually tell is to compare the "bunny ears" to the hilt. If it's like my Prodigy, those parts will have the "anodized" finish an the rest of the hilt will be the brushed finish. (plus, Phil said something to that effect B) )

Darth Squidious wrote:
Seems to me that I heard that the sale Phoenix is the anodized version till they sell out.

Or they may have gotten in a fresh stock of the hilts in the new finish and decided the way to get those into the hands of people was with a sale. :)
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by scifidude79.

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 2 weeks ago #80526

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
That's brushed silver finish. You gotta realize the photos posted at the top was taken under very bright light. You can compare the light's reflection off the black anodized grip section in the SF photo versus member BZArcher's photos. The latter is more "accurate" under normal light conditions.
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Execute66.

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 2 weeks ago #80527

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
It's not different stock - they're all the same part in different parts of the process.

1) Machine hilt components

2) Media-blast to erase tool marks (this is what causes the matte texture)

3) Send parts out for anodizing (Black parts are anodized and dyed. Silver-finish may or may not be anodized at all)

4) Put part on the lathe to sand-smooth blast texture. Black parts become weathered or two-tone. Silver parts become brushed. Small and/or non-round parts like bunny ears may omit this step.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scifidude79

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 2 weeks ago #80528

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
OK, thanks Kouri.

Either way, I can confirm that the Flash sale Phoenixes are in the new brushed finish. This thing is gorgeous:

One with my Prodigy to compare the finishes. Only the shroud and part of the pommel are brushed aluminum, but that's fine:

I have big plans for this hilt. I forgot to ask them not to glue it, but that's fine. It looks like the hilt is mainly one piece, with only the shroud, pommel and greebles removable. I already broke the glue holding the shroud on, but that's not a big deal. It will be held in place by the black screw up front and I can always buy more glue at work. ;)
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by scifidude79.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

Brushed Aluminum Finish Phoenix 6 months 2 weeks ago #80529

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
^ D A N G !!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Forge April Sale!!!... (24 Posts)
    • Well I just hope it works out. I hate myself... Just can't decide whether I want to order (and sink...
    • Saber Forge April Sale!!!... (24 Posts)
    • Quote: Where can you verify what you typed in the notes at check out? Hmmmm. Same here. Maybe it doesn't...
    • Brass Covertec Wheel/Blad... (12 Posts)
    • #8-32, technically. #8 size shaft, 32 threads per inch. Not "eight thirty-seconds". (helps when...
    • Etsy site. (1 Posts)
    • Lots of new listings.
    • Brass Covertec Wheel/Blad... (12 Posts)
    • Blade retention and covertech are 8/32 Length and type will depend on your build.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6833
  • Latest Member: Commander Juice
  • Total Posts: 69k
  • Total Topics: 5813
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 18
  • Yesterday Answer: 39