Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: The First of a New Triology

The First of a New Triology 5 months 18 hours ago #53387

• DarthSauron
  • "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural"
  • Thank you received: 36
I'll tell my story starting from the day Disney bought Lucasfilm, it was 2012, I was a freshman at highschool back then, and of course, I was a huge star wars fan as I still am. I was on twitter when I got the news and I was devastated by them, also, I had some star wars haters around me and they kept saying things like "even lucasfilm has given up on star wars" so, it was a bad day for me.

Then they announced a sequel movie, and I was like "um thats nice, I guess", I had worries about it since Disney was making the film. (Even though they made brilliant movies such as Pirates of the Caribbean and The Avengers) I was just not fully comfortable with someone other than Lucas making a Star Wars movie.

Fall of 2014, the first teaser was dropped, and oh my god, I must admit that teaser still gives me chills whenever I watch. Seeing new faces in familiar places, seeing the falcon, seeing a new droid with an awesome design and seeing a very impressive dark warrior who wields a new type of lightsaber. All of these things combined with the Star Wars theme at the end of the teaser left me shaking.

April 2015, the second teaser was released, it was giving more details about what we had seen in the first one while adding more mysterious content, like melted mask of Darth Vader. That was one hell of a scene, the internet had earthquakes over Darth Vader's mask. And as the first teaser did, the second one left me shaking too.

October 2015, 59 days before The Force Awakens' release date, the trailer was released. It was rumored to be released around 9pm in the US, and I live in Turkey which is 7 hours ahead of the US. So I set my alarm to 4am and it was there when I woke up. I couldnt watch half of the trailer in my first attempt because of the tears on my eyes. I had to calm myself down and rewatch it for hours, so I did, and my roommate found me lying on the floor, shaking with hype. The trailer was just perfect, I still watch it from time to time.

The movie was released on 17th of December in Turkey, but I wasnt able to see it until 19th since I live in dorm and we're not allowed to go out on weekdays. I had deleted my twitter, facebook, instagram to stay away from spoilers but I was spoiled that Han was going to die over iMessage by someone I used to call "friend".

To be honest, I wasnt very happy when I first watched it. Partially because my gigantic expectations, and also because the similarities between Episode 4 and 7. But the more I watched it the more I liked it. I accepted the similarities by taking them as facts, like real facts. And now TFA is ranked 3rd in my ranking of star wars movies. (5-4-7-6-3-1-2) I enjoy it, and I really like it, but I cant hold myself from saying that it could have been better.

I guess I should end writing my thoughts bc it has been a really long post, also, English is not my native, so I'm sorry if I made grammar, spelling or any mistake at all.

Champion tier Venom, SaberCore Crimson, Weathered Finish, 12W+ Red LED
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The First of a New Triology 5 months 17 hours ago #53398

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 823
Glad to see that you came back to Star Wars!

A couple of things to note though, and this is all FYI kind of stuff. I am not railing, or ranting on anyone, or anything here.

Disney did indeed purchase LucasFilm, but it still exists after the purchase, and they still have all of their own infrastructure. Kathleen Kennedy, along with JJ Abrams (along with the writers) made the creative decisions, and crafted this movie. Disney might have had to sign-off on the final product, but LucasFilm made The Force Awakens. Much like Marvel studios operate independently from Disney for the most part. The most controversial thing Lucas did following the purchase was to relegate the Extended Universe content to "Legend" status, and folks thing that Disney was behind this. I have doubts about Disney's involvement, and think instead that it was something LucasFilms needed to do so that they did not have to trip over 35 years of stories that went every direction imaginable, in order to craft their new trilogy.

Secondly, I understand how you, and a lot of folks feel about TFA, in that it was a little to deritivative of A New Hope, an that it felt incomplete. Well, the common themes/beats from the original movie were intentional to bring "Prequel-phobes" back into the fold, by letting them know this was the Star Wars you have always known. Right or wrong, it was what they intended, and for me personally, it worked just fine, so long as they don't do that in all three new movies. As for incomplete, well I think we lose track of the fact that we tend to look at the Original Trilogy, and the Prequel Trilogy as two stories told by three movies for each. We have the luxury of looking back at two completed trilogies for their stories, and we are not there yet with this new one. We are judging it before we have the last two chapters. We seem to want answers to all the questions posed by this new story in the first chapter, and that is kind of unrealistic.

I am hopeful that the next two chapters in the saga are going to take the story in different directions, and be told in a different style than was TFA. I believe they feel they needed to hit the familiar beats to get folks back into the fold, before doing something fresh. I think when we have the perspective of looking back on all three films in the new trilogy, we will conclude that it holds up very well when compared to the other two chapters in the overall saga.

The preceding was intended to express my outlook, views, and perspectives, and not to cast aspersions on those of others. If you agree, great! If not, feel free to tell me why!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 5 months 16 hours ago by Brax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot, Kered, DarthSauron

The First of a New Triology 5 months 16 hours ago #53406

• DarthSauron
  • "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural"
I totally agree with you, the movie works well with me. And I think they added some similarities on purpose too, in order to give the same feelings that the Original Triology gave us. I'm really okay with all of those except the destruction of the Starkiller Base. I still think they shouldnt have had it blown up. And as you said, TFA was a great movie to start a triology, its character introductions were beyond brilliant. And they've left so many unanswered questions which I hope they answer in the last 2 films.

The First of a New Triology 4 months 3 weeks ago #54076

• Jedi Assassin
  • Both sides offer power. The most powerful jedi harness the abilities of both & stay on the light side.
  • Thank you received: 9
The reason the new movie gave you a similar feeling is because it's pretty much Star Wars 4 a New Hope. A astromech droid escapes on a desert planet, is caught by junkers, rescued by a unknowing force sensitive, finds friend(s), escapes on the millennium falcon, enemy super weapon destroys rebel plant(s), at rebel base every one is finding a way to destroy the super weapon & later it is destroyed in a trench run by a single rebel pilot.

The First of a New Triology 4 months 3 weeks ago #54121

• RyanRising
  • Platinum Member
  • How hard can rocket science be anyway?
  • Thank you received: 140
Isn't there a really common story type that both TFA and ANH follow? The Hero's Journey or something like that? Despite the overwhelming similarities, however, I feel that it's quite different enough to make it a unique experience.
The above post may be subject to editing. A lot of editing.

The First of a New Triology 4 months 3 weeks ago #54133

• DarthSauron
I share pretty much the same thoughts with HelloGreedo, the similarities dont really bother me, except the starkiller base being destroyed. By the way, I strongly recommend following HelloGreedo's channel for he makes unique Star Wars videos.

The First of a New Triology 4 months 3 weeks ago #54252

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
Everything in the film felt fresh, used but fresh. I agree, the way Starkiller base was destroyed dragged on and when it was finally destroyed it at least for me felt anticlimactic since I figured I knew what was going to happen, and it did. It's not uncommon for films to use inspiration from others.
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

The First of a New Triology 4 months 2 weeks ago #55715

• Sciath
  • Thank you received: 2
I have to say, watching the trailer to 7 was the first time in years I got goosebumps from a film preview. I was ALL aboard the Hype-train haha. I think I may have sat and watched it well over 50 times xD And I love how the new movie provides an amazing "jumping-on" point for a new generation of fans.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Adding in hilt recharge t... (22 Posts)
    • Is there anyway that I can send my preorder asp champion over and get the in hilt recharge at a...
    • Quote: Thank you guys for the feedback, I will be adding warrior PnP with in hilt recharge and energy sword...
    • Saberforge sale timeline (4 Posts)
    • hoping there's one for october and november. and surely there's a christmas one.
    • Starkiller saber project (15 Posts)
    • Quote: Going to replace the marble with an opalite sphere, as well as put some type of backing on the...
    • Quote: Thank you guys for the feedback, I will be adding warrior PnP with in hilt recharge and energy sword...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4541
  • Latest Member: DarthHavok
  • Total Posts: 47.7k
  • Total Topics: 3514
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 112
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 18
  • Yesterday Answer: 30