Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: ASP - Wayward

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64569

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 575
The short thin neck adapter came in the mail today, completing my second hilt, which I have called the Wayward. It had a different name when I first designed it, but it always felt a little off. It was quite a while before I realized I was already using the perfect name in my story!

So here it is:

Graflex pommel, black leather wrapped Gladius body, Switch 10 and what the builder calls Prodigal Son Emitter 1, and the shop page calls Thin Neck Adapter 1 and Prodigal Son Emitter, all weathered.

I liked the grenade grip I originally designed it with, but it was just too long. This version clocks in at about 11.25", and has the perfect amount of space to grip and wield comfortably, two handed or one.

My only concern while waiting for parts was that the weathered finishes on each one might not look consistent, but they turned out fine. I may mess with the weathering a bit, sand down a couple of patches. We'll see.

When I first planned out my ASP hilts, I originally hoped to build just two sets of electronics for the four of them, and swap them between two hilts at a time, but this one has demonstrated that may not be viable. The body has only about 3.5" of useable space in it, meaning no chassis (that I know of) will fit in it.

That won't be a problem if the space is snug enough to secure the electronics just inside a plastic shield. But there's also very little space between the top of the body and the bottom switch. This hilt is going to need it's own, dedicated installation. I'm thinking of maybe forgetting the second switch and trying to incorporate a recharge port somewhere.

At any rate, the hilt as is turned out great, I'm really pleased with it. I don't know if I could choose a favorite between this and the Martyr :D
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Borommakot.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, =Ottomatix=, Eddlyss64, OvrcAHst, jonnys95s10, Vechaljian, Thelegorn

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64573

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 744
Very nice, Boro! Did you have to glue the thin neck into the adaptor?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64575

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Not so far, but I haven't played with it much with the blade in, and I doubt I'll duel with it. It seemed pretty secure just screwed on. There's a broad lip at the top of the threads that keeps it from going all the way into/through the adapter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64577

• jonnys95s10
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 110
Great job Borommakot! Your thin neck looks amazing! I'm going to have to go back and look at my thin neck designs as that might have to come next.
Borommakot wrote:
When I first planned out my ASP hilts, I originally hoped to build just two sets of electronics for the four of them, and swap them between two hilts at a time, but this one has demonstrated that may not be viable. The body has only about 3.5" of useable space in it, meaning no chassis (that I know of) will fit in it.

That won't be a problem if the space is snug enough to secure the electronics just inside a plastic shield. But there's also very little space between the top of the body and the bottom switch. This hilt is going to need it's own, dedicated installation. I'm thinking of maybe forgetting the second switch and trying to incorporate a recharge port somewhere.

GOTH 1.11 modular chassis you might be able to piece together a chassis here as the measurements show them to be smaller than the all in one options.

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64578

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Thanks, I'll look into that. I hadn't considered the modular chassis. It could work if I don't use a speaker module; that's what creates the problematic length on the all in one chassis I have.

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64582

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
Nice! I really like the look of a (relatively) compact thin neck.

Is that one of you VV day blades in the bottom picture?
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64583

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 298
Beautifully crafted saber you have here, Borom! It's nice to see 'your' weapon from Trials in real life for the first time.

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64584

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Jaden Korr wrote:
Nice! I really like the look of a (relatively) compact thin neck.

Is that one of you VV day blades in the bottom picture?
Thanks. Yep, that's one of the "enhanced day blades".

Eddlyss64 wrote:
Beautifully crafted saber you have here, Borom! It's nice to see 'your' weapon from Trials in real life for the first time.
Thank you, Edd! I felt the same thing when I assembled it. I'm really eager to get it installed and working, and really brought to life.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Borommakot.

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64593

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 346
I'm loving the thin-neck with without the grenade section. That just looks like a comfortable and fun hilt. Very cool indeed! Glad to here it locks together well. I had to use plumbers tape on one of my thin-necks to get the rattling to stop.

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

ASP - Wayward 1 year 8 months ago #64603

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1914
Very Nice Borom! Great to see the adjustments work successfully and not only is Bo'rom's newly constructed LightSaber achieved in Fiction but now equally so for real, by the Writer; through the eye's of the Writer.

ASP - Wayward 1 year 2 months ago #72673

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Finally got around to starting an install on this hilt and realized...I bought the wrong chassis. The one I purchased. Has a recharge port flush with the OD, meant to line up with an exterior RCP hole, which my hilt does not have. So with a kill key in, this chassis doesn't fit into the hilt. I could technically still use it, if I just made the second switch the RCP, but I really want two switches. So I just bought a new, hopefully correct, chassis. Shapeways tells me it probably won't come until March, though XD. So another long way.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Forge April Sale!!!... (46 Posts)
    • You can just google germanys import and customs tax and apply it to the numbers on price of your...
    • Pre-Order Sabers Question... (5 Posts)
    • I ordered a Graflex Pommel that was on pre-order last May. It was delivered in October. I didn't...
    • Saber Selfies (308 Posts)
    • Not to worry, Master Tyeth! I certainly wasn't having the greatest day yesterday; however, this...
    • Veteran USA | Weathered w... (31 Posts)
    • Quote: Hilt exterior was received in the weathered finish. I sanded it using 400grit (-600 grit) wet/dry...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.2k
  • Total Topics: 5825
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 27
  • Yesterday Answer: 31