Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Vindicator and Maelstrom

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #64994

• SnowDog
  • Thank you received: 25
May I introduce to you Vindicator and Maelstrom:

I am new to high-end sabers, and these are my first ones. They are both empty ASP hilts (initiate tier), and I will be saving up to get electronics later. I will comment on each one separately below.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, =Ottomatix=, OvrcAHst, DK44, ToyKeeper

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #64996

• SnowDog
VINDICATOR

I was getting impatient with the saber shop going live and I think I got in at the very end of the Indigogo campaign. Here is the what it looked like in the ASP Builder:

I chose the following componets:
- Avenger Emitter (standard)
- Vigilant Switch (black)
- Body 7 (standard)
- Pommel 9 (black)
- Blade Plug 6 (black)

Here is what I received:

I also received a set of timing shims, two black button hole covers, and an allen wrench. Since it was just an empty hilt, it all came in a rectangular box. I ordered it on Monday 7/18/16 and got it within two weeks (7/29/16). I've added a couple of buttons for the time being from www.dripp3d.com. I really like the red button and that will probably stay. I'm thinking the other hole would best be used for a recharge port, but I'm going to have to learn about electronics and soldering before that can happen. I've got a little more fine tuning to get all of the parts lined up perfectly, but otherwise I love it!

Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by SnowDog. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Borommakot, OvrcAHst

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #64997

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1698
Great use of Parts and designed assembly is aesthetically pleasing. Well Done. Bookmarked and looking forward to a continued following as it comes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SnowDog

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #64998

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 540
Wow , spectacular sabers SnowDog

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #64999

• SnowDog
MAELSTROM

After receiving Vindicator and then getting the 15% off Indigogo coupon, I couldn't resist and I ordered another saber hilt, just this time off of the live ASP site. I was looking for a darker saber, and this is what I came up with on the ASP Builder:

The parts I chose were:
- Mauler emitter (weathered)
- Gladius switch (weathered)
- Sorcerer body (weathered)
- Pommel 8 (weathered)
- Blade Plug 1 (weathered)

This is what I received:

I also ordered a set of timing shims. I was expecting to get everything in another shipping box, but the parts came in a padded envelope with each part individually bubble wrapped. I did not receive an allen wrench with my order, but since I already got one with Vindicator I'm not going to complain. I ordered this (empty hilt) on a Sunday (7/31/16) and it also came within two weeks (received on 8/12/16). This hilt is definitely beefier than the Vindicator hilt, but not too heavy. I'm kind of digging the copper switch that I currently have inserted, but I may get a brass switch to see how that looks. Here are a couple of additional pics:

A couple of comments...I have seen people talk about getting weathered ASP pieces with different colored weathering. I have a similar issue, but I'm not sure if I will do anything about it since it's not a major issue. The bottom section of the emitter looks to be a slightly lighter shade of weathering than the other parts. I don't think it looks blue, but let me know what you think:

One other issue. Alignment between the body and the Gladius switch section may be an issue. The shims need to be placed on the threaded section of the Gladius switch. The problem is that the outer diameter of the threads are almost the same diameter as the choke section of the switch section (see below):

If the shim is totally centered on the part, it can get pushed over the choke section when tightened securely. I might try to find a rubber o-ring that fits better...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, OvrcAHst, ToyKeeper

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #65001

• SnowDog
Thanks for the warm reception of the saber designs! Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #65002

• Roger Redux
  • Premium Member
  • There is no Ignorance - There is Knowledge, There is no Fear - There is Power, I am the Heart of The Force, I am the revealing fire of Light, I am the Mystery of Darkness, *
  • Thank you received: 44
Sweetness! :woohoo: Vindicator is absolutely gorgeous, and Maelstrom is the perfect balance of being clearly "Sithy" yet understated. B)
* In Balance with Chaos and Harmony, Immortal in The Force
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Roger Redux.

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #65004

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 643
Very nice designs and sabers! I like them! You have a Sith saber and a Jedi saber!

On the weathering, I actually don't think it looks that out of place with the slightly different finish. Weathering in "reality" is not even, different parts get exposed to war and elements differently.

Congratz again!
"I am the Senate"

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #65006

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
Really nice sabers, congrats! Maelstrom turned out particularly cohesive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ToyKeeper, SnowDog

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #65007

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1379
These parts go together very well! I will be watching your progress on finishing out these builds with great interest!

Congrats!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #65042

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
These two just look like they go together. Great job adding your own touches as well! Very nice!

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #65047

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165
Great looking sabers SnowDog! Man these ASP sabers are turning out fantastic! Congrats & Enjoy!

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #65374

• SnowDog
Thank you, everyone, for you kind words. I've been a fan of Star Wars for a long time, but I never felt the need to buy a traditional (canon) saber. However, once SF rolled out their ASP line where you could design your own saber with cool components (i.e., not all generic looking) at a relatively reasonable price, I was hooked. I love that you can take parts from totally different sabers, put them together, and come out with a new design that looks like it was meant to go together.

Hopefully I'll pull some money together by the end of the year to get electronics for these hilts. But its hard when you have a family and also need to save funds for the occasional bottle of Scotch! ;) I'm thinking I'll use a green LED for Vindicator and either a red or blood orange LED for Maelstrom.

Vindicator and Maelstrom 1 year 3 months ago #65458

• RolandofGilead
  • Thank you received: 9
Those look excellent! I could see the Vindicator at home in the prequel trilogy, and the Maelstrom in the sequel trilogy (it kind of reminds me of the top section of Rey's staff.)
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• K4 build (13 Posts)
    • Ooo I just saw Jas OT's mid-era exile weathered K4, that's a gorgeous take on the hilt. The...
    • Too Much of a Good Thing,... (6 Posts)
    • Hi All, I just have to laugh at all these Star Wars Theorists that in one YouTube video say "REY'S...
    • My Wife's Princess Rainbo... (15 Posts)
    • And to think the wife is only this girly on these kind of subjects; daily life it's all death metal,...
    • Custom Ascend MadCow GCS|... (26 Posts)
    • You're always on an entire league of your own :woohoo: Damn that is nice and making me think copper...
    • Relic Wrath VV|Story so f... (28 Posts)
    • The Wrath has just such a cool design; be it on its own as a cool-ass mace or as a pillar of doom -...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6001
  • Latest Member: Scottpilgrim2
  • Total Posts: 61.8k
  • Total Topics: 5148
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 2
  • Today Answer: 37
  • Yesterday Answer: 23