Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Please create a new topic to post your review of the Avenger.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: 12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43047

• makten
  • Thank you received: 17
A couple of days ago, the wait had finally ended for me, I have received my first replica grade lightsaber ever!!

The Toblerone arrived my office on Monday the 22nd and shipping to Hong Kong was fairly reasonable. I ordered my saber on Dec 7th and received notification about it being made on Feb 7th then the saber was picked up on the 15th. Overall there wasn't much delay in the build and the delivery except that USPS kept giving me weird notifications.

I have always loved the saber used by Obi-Wan in EP 1, the clean and modern feel to it just catches my attention. I have had my eyes on this saber for a month or 2 until I finally decided on making the purchase. I have done my share of research before that and compared it to other maker's version of this saber; I have to say that the Avenger by Saber Forge looked the best to me amongst the others.

Let's get on to some of the specs of my order.

Tier: Champion
Hilt Finish: Standard
Blade Colour: Artic Blue
Blade Type: 32 inches
LED: 12W (Upgraded to 12W+ by SF) :woohoo:
Quick Connect: No
Belt Clasp: Yes
Sound Font: Viridium
In-hilt Charging: Yes

Now when I ordered the saber, I was contemplating on putting Quick Connect on or not and ended up deciding not to do it because I didn't feel like I would need to change the colour of it. I did get nervous a little about the colour I chose and thought that the shade of blue wouldn't be similar to what it looked like in EP1. I also was unaware that there was a 12W+ when I made the purchase and when I found out, SF already discontinued the post-ordering add on service. HOWEVER, SF ended up upgrading my saber to a 12W+ anyway because the old 12W had officially been discontinued, so I guess I saved a little bit of money from this. :P

I opened the box and took out the items in it and there it was.

The hilt was fantastic! It was unexpectedly hefty for me as I had only held the Hasbro's and MR's light sabers before. The whole design to the saber was closely detailed with reference to the one onscreen and books. The blade plug did a very nice touch to the entire feel to it, the black and silver matched the Avenger really well. The whole hilt and it's parts were made with crisp and clean cut edges, but I must say that some of the edges might have been too crisp to the point that it was sharp. On my saber, the grip area was the sharpest which affected a little bit of my experience on holding onto it. I later took a 1200 sandpaper and sanded out some of the edges on the grip as well as the little rectangles on the pommel.

Charged the hilt until the power supply was green and I ignited the saber with the blade plug on. WOW it was bright, I mean I knew it was going to be bright but seeing it in person just blew me away. The light came out from the blade plug and looked amazing!

Now this got me excited about finally putting the blade in there and see how it looked ignited like that. So I quickly looked for the Allen key for the blade retention screw. Wait-a-minute...where's the blade retention screw...where's that hole? I looked around the whole hilt and I only found one, and it wasn't for the blade...I panicked and thought I might have to send the saber back because there wasn't a hole drilled for the blade retention screw (though I did thought about why the blade plug would be stuck in the hilt). Luckily, OvrcAHst came to the rescue and gave me insights about what might have been the issue.

Apparently, SF had changed the design a little and instead of drilling another hole on the emitter area, they made the 3 silver hex-screws on the emitter area the retention screws! Although an Allen key was provided when the package arrived, it was the size for standard rentention screws for the hilts. In the Avenger's case, the 3 retention screws requires a bigger Allen key which is 3mm. Good thing I had a set of Allen keys in the office so I was finally able to get the blade plug out. One thing to note is that the blade plug might be a bit tighter to get out the first time (at least in my case it was).

With the 32 inch blade plugged in, now I'm ready. I must say, SF did deliver something beyond my expectation. Upon igniting the Avenger with the 12W+ Arctic Blue, I was soooo overjoyed! The Viridium sound font was good, it did give me the vibe that a lightsaber should. I played around with the settings and I figured that I was happy with the flickering at 5, sound on low, impact sensitivity and motion sensor at 9.
I was testing the saber in the conference room so I took it out with me ignited, my colleagues mostly gave me the "omg what are you doing" kinda look; they were probably used to it though since my cubicle were just filled with toys and stuff.

Overall, unboxing the Avenger was very exciting for me. Wielding it in my hand did make my day and I am now seriously thinking about utilizing the ASP later on and perhaps making a control box-less Graflex or an original hilt with red blade. To some people, the saber's price might be a bit expensive but I do feel that I was happy with this product and worth while for someone that appreciates the design.

Thank you Saber Forge!

Hope you guys liked this review! ;)
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by makten.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, Kered, OvrcAHst, ajeekenobi

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43048

• makten
More pictures from the unboxing and wielding the Avenger!

The warranty and the hilt

The 32 inch Infinity Blade V4

The blade plug

The Covertech belt clip

Power supply for the in-hilt recharge and Allen key for standard retention screws

Pommel with some of the sharp edges sanded out

The following user(s) said Thank You: ajeekenobi

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43050

• Kered
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 117
Wow what a nice saber can't go wrong on the artic blue nice review lots of good pics
The force is strong in this one.but the dark side is always there
The following user(s) said Thank You: makten

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43051

• makten
Just one more picture for the review :P

One more thing for people who might run into situations with sanding out sharp edges.

Make sure you have steel wool handy to buff out some of the marks left by the sanding process, buff it out at the direction that the surface has and not against it, otherwise it will look very messy.
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by makten.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonrice, DK44, ajeekenobi

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43054

• DK44
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 138
Makten that saber is awesome! I've always liked the look of Kenobi's saber from episode I. Great review and congrats!

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43055

• makten
Thanks!

Need to save up for a Jedi outfit or the ASP saber now :lol:

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43065

• darth kee
  • Thank you received: 3
very nice pics thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: makten, ajeekenobi

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43073

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 300
Sweet Avenger. Really nice pics also. Congrats!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43112

• Eythor20
  • Thank you received: 7
Did they change the design? I'm thinking about getting one, the pic on the saberforge website has 9 cut outs in the black grip on the hilt but all the pics in the reviews here on the forum have the more accurate 7 cut out... Wich one is it haha?

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43116

• evangelion_jeff
  • Thank you received: 1
It's really a shame they ship sabers that are so sharp they're uncomfortable to hold. That's kind of the whole point of having a lightsaber. It seems like a common complaint especially for the Avenger. Did sanding it down get it to the point where it was comfortable? Or is it still a little sharp and uncomfortable to grip? Couldn't help but notice you were wearing gloves in the pics.

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43155

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 144
Thanks for the new pics! There going to hold me over for a few more weeks until I receive mine! Do you think you're going to purchase other LEDs to change up the color? I may have missed it when reading your review but did you get quick connects?
- Light em up

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43182

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1603
makten
Excellent Review and it's great knowing that you have been reunited (finally) with your much anticipated delivery. The 32 V4 you chose appears to be the ideal pairing with this hilt and, referencing the image where you clutch it with your hand-wraps on, looks to be a lethal combination.

Thank you for the mention. Credit though is not mine to receive as I simply forwarded you the link where it contained the troubleshoot answers that resolved your hurdle.
Glad you successfully corrected it.
One of the many rewards of this Forum community is the collective knowledge and willingness to share 'paying-it-forward' by further expanding this knowledge pool as an invitational gesture that increases its membership.

It's evident from your posts that the famed Toblerone is in fact very much alive, disproving the mourning service that was held a little while back when it was suspected to have been replaced by a rectangular box.

There are some inconsistencies with USPS but nothing to cause discouragement or precedence that its a regular occurrence. I've received items in the past where information isn't current, has been delivered but not updated to 'delivered at target destination' until a week later.
The important thing is delivery was successful.

Your first-hand applications specific to the additional Retention Screws and Edge Softening will undoubtedly assist future Avenger owners when encountering similarities.

Depending on what you are considering for your Robe, there are many resources listed in the Forum that will assist prospective DIY-er's or places to acquire from. Coincidentally, very recently I stumbled across this (during an alternate search) which may interest you.

Many happy times ahead for you.

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43218

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1095
That is a seriously sweet saber my friend! The Avenger is a synergistic mixture of simplicity and complexity, all in one design! I fully intend to have one in my collection at some point, and after seeing yours, it feels like it will sooner, than later.

You have my envy, and my congratulations on an awesome saber!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Brax.

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43247

• makten
evangelion_jeff wrote:
It's really a shame they ship sabers that are so sharp they're uncomfortable to hold. That's kind of the whole point of having a lightsaber. It seems like a common complaint especially for the Avenger. Did sanding it down get it to the point where it was comfortable? Or is it still a little sharp and uncomfortable to grip? Couldn't help but notice you were wearing gloves in the pics.

I tried sanding out one of the black bits but then came to realize that I could sand off the black coating on the grip so I gave up on that. I mainly sanded out the grip area where the silver and the black met, it's a lot more comfortable to hold onto now.

As for the gloves, those are just the sleeves of my outfit - Gloved sleeves LOL
I didn't intentionally wear them for holding the sabers but it does feel very comfortable if you do.

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43248

• makten
Eythor20 wrote:
Did they change the design? I'm thinking about getting one, the pic on the saberforge website has 9 cut outs in the black grip on the hilt but all the pics in the reviews here on the forum have the more accurate 7 cut out... Wich one is it haha?

Hmmm I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. I'm guessing they had some design changes going on since the retention screw placement had changed too...Haven't said that 9 cut outs might've been a lot better than 7 cut outs. With the gaps between the cut outs closer together it should make it more comfortable to grip onto.

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43249

• makten
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
Thanks for the new pics! There going to hold me over for a few more weeks until I receive mine! Do you think you're going to purchase other LEDs to change up the color? I may have missed it when reading your review but did you get quick connects?

No I didn't end up getting quick connects, seeing that I will most likely not change the colour to this saber. I will just hope that I do not need to repair LEDs any time soon.

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43251

• makten
OvrcAHst wrote:
makten
Excellent Review and it's great knowing that you have been reunited (finally) with your much anticipated delivery. The 32 V4 you chose appears to be the ideal pairing with this hilt and, referencing the image where you clutch it with your hand-wraps on, looks to be a lethal combination.

Thank you for the mention. Credit though is not mine to receive as I simply forwarded you the link where it contained the troubleshoot answers that resolved your hurdle.
Glad you successfully corrected it.
One of the many rewards of this Forum community is the collective knowledge and willingness to share 'paying-it-forward' by further expanding this knowledge pool as an invitational gesture that increases its membership.

It's evident from your posts that the famed Toblerone is in fact very much alive, disproving the mourning service that was held a little while back when it was suspected to have been replaced by a rectangular box.

There are some inconsistencies with USPS but nothing to cause discouragement or precedence that its a regular occurrence. I've received items in the past where information isn't current, has been delivered but not updated to 'delivered at target destination' until a week later.
The important thing is delivery was successful.

Your first-hand applications specific to the additional Retention Screws and Edge Softening will undoubtedly assist future Avenger owners when encountering similarities.

Depending on what you are considering for your Robe, there are many resources listed in the Forum that will assist prospective DIY-er's or places to acquire from. Coincidentally, very recently I stumbled across this (during an alternate search) which may interest you.

Many happy times ahead for you.

Thank you mate, I do hope this can help out members or others considering on buying this saber. :lol:

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43253

• Vanguard
  • Thank you received: 2
Eythor20 wrote:

I believe they did to get the length more in line with the actual prop length. The older model was a little bit longer.

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 4 months ago #43261

• Dr. Anthropologist
  • Premium Member
  • Hope is not lost today. It is found
  • Thank you received: 32
Fantastic saber you have! Always been a big fan of the Obi TPM hilt. Yours looks great! Congrats!
"You can do this. Within you is the heart of a champion"

12W+ Champion Tier Avenger Review 1 year 1 month ago #55854

• jonrice
  • Thank you received: 4
I just got an Avenger in Feb. and mine has 7 cut outs.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5307
  • Latest Member: RobdertHeX
  • Total Posts: 56.3k
  • Total Topics: 4718
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119