Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Champion Double Reveal Graflex

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89168

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1784
Do you remember the first time you saw a light saber? It was probably the first time you saw Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope), if you saw them in order of release. The graflex design was the first light saber ever seen on the big screen, and it sure left a big impression on me! That blue-white light, and that sound! A few moments later when Obi-Wan made short work of Panda Babba, we knew what a light saber really could do! It was awesome, and frightening at the same time, seeing the bloody arm lying on the floor. Nothing by today’s standards, of course, but just the kind of thing that excited a teenager like me back in the late 70’s, and starts them on a life-long path as a Star Wars nerd, with a passion for sabers.

I kind of always knew that I wanted a graflex in my collection, especially once I had the Redeemer, and the Prodigal Son. And while the Saber Forge take on the design might not be 100% screen accurate, it certainly hits the major highlights. The glass eye, the bunny ears, the brass pins, the red faux button, the clamp arm/activation box, and the D-Ring. The weight of the saber certainly makes it feel real, and the blade plug that Saber Forge created just for this saber does the trick nicely.

My original opinion that sabers with activation boxes are more suited to be shelf queens, rather than practical duelers is not diminished here. It is not as uncomfortable as you would imagine, but it would hurt a bit if you, and an opponent were dueling hard. Especially with a longer, heavier blade (which takes the balance point well past the tip of the emitter). This one feels better with a 32” dueling blade, or perhaps a thin-walled blade that was longer would not feel so awkward, but would obviously not be as suited to heavy dueling.

Bottom line, I am very satisfied with this saber, and feel like another piece of my childhood dreams have become a reality.

So, without further adieu, the Saber Forge Double Reveal Graflex!

The finish is, for all intents and purposes, flawless. No scratches, or dings, or scuffs. Just shiny, easy to smudge, and covered with fingerprints. Nothing a soft cloth can’t deal with.

The Medium Blue LED is very bright, and the color is beautiful, and shines very nicely around the blade plug.

To be continued in the next post.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Greysider, For Tyeth, Eddlyss64, DK44, scifidude79

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89169

• Brax
  • Administrator
All the various surface features.

I replaced the standard light side sound fonts with the "Force Awakens - Graflex" (NEC) font from SaberFonts, on all three banks. The only distinguishing difference between them is they each have a different blade effect. Bank one with no blade effect. Bank two with slow shimmer. Bank 3 with slow pulse. With the sound volume turned all the way to 100, the sounds are quite loud and satisfying!

The crystal chambers show brightly when the saber is ignited. When turned off, the circuit-like design surrounding the lower chamber comes to the forefront.

The blade plug, while just a covertech wheel repurposed, actually adds a nice touch! Quite reminiscent of an actual Graflex blade plug.

Last Edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by Brax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Dauntless 7, Execute66, Greysider, For Tyeth, Eddlyss64, DK44, Jas-Ot, scifidude79, Rhyno

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89171

• DK44
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 222
That is a beaut sir! And that shiny finish—fantastic! The double reveal Graflex & MPP MK1 & 2’s are probably the nicest sabers I’ve seen from Saberforge. Enjoy!

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89174

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1090
Hi Brax,

Congrats, this is a really nice hilt and as I thought the lower chassis/chamber section looks so much better than the black version found on the MPPs. The silver shows up the "circuitry" detailing so much more.

I hope you have many years enjoyment with it.

For Tyeth

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89175

• Rhyno
  • Platinum Member
  • MTFBWY
  • Thank you received: 131
Congratulations Sir Brax!
Hope it serves you well for may Eons
There is no Light, There is no Dark, There is only the Force!

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89177

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 372
Yeah, she’s a beauty all right. Definitely a shelf queen. Even if not for the box, but also because it’s so easy to accidentally unscrew the sections.
Brax wrote:
The blade plug, while just a covertech wheel repurposed, actually adds a nice touch! Quite reminiscent of an actual Graflex blade plug.

Or at least reminiscent of the bladed stunts with the blade rod chopped off that got used for tours and displays. ;) But, you’re right, it is a really nice plug.

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89179

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 523
OOOOOOOOOOOO

I want to weather than soooooooo bad....

Love me a Graflex MMMMMMmmm mmmm MMMMMMMMMMMMM
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89181

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 136
I have never wanted a Graflex... but your's is just beautiful. Really starting to like that super polished sheen look for some sabers. Thanks for the share. B)

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89199

• EJT
  • Thank you received: 4
Looks amazing! I was going to pick one up last week but they were sold out. Doh! Congrats.

Also, isn't the TFA font at saberfont the same as Heirloom on the SF site? When I listen to them both, they sound the same to me. So I thought Heirloom was derived from the TFA font. And if I'm right, then you probably already had that font included with the light side fonts when you got the saber. Am I crazy?

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89200

• Brax
  • Administrator
They are very similar. Couple of subtle differences, but had I listened to the Heirloom font more closely, I probably would have stuck with that one. Ah well! Now I can mix and match the sounds from both, taking the better sounds for each category to come up with an amalgam of the two. Hopefully, any weak sounds in one, can be solved with a sound from the other. There aren't many. The hum of the TFA is a little lower in volume than Heirloom, so I will probably replace that. Comparing each sound one for one should prove interesting.

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89201

• Danielbs80
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 30
I have the heirloom font installed on both my sabercore 3.0 and my NBv4 and I can tell you that despite be switching the regular speaker that came preinstalled out to a high bass speaker on the sabercore, it still is not as deep sounding at my NBv4 so it's either the way the sounds are made for the Sabercore or the hardware processing itself. However, when I first got it it had the normal speaker installed and I thought that sounded just terrible almost like a toy so installing a highbass speaker defiantly helps if you wern't lucky enough to have one already installed. From what someone has said they just install whatever speaker they have on hand and there's no way to tell unless you pull off the speaker and look on the back because it looks exactly the same as the high bass one. I have pictures and whatnots in another thread I made. But I do love the heirloom soundfont and the light for NEC on saberfonts are good too, those may have some deep sounds as well.

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89210

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 746
Can't go wrong with that saber, congratulations! We shall have another thing in common (mine on order is also in 12W+ Medium Blue). :)

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89214

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 187
Damn, although the lightsaber that really made me fall in love with the concept of them was Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ (thing was I watched Star Wars back when I was 8-9 years old on VHS back to back in one day - and the rest is history :lol: ), the Graflex has really become one of those sabers that you just need to own ;)
I mean, ever since discovering this hobby, I sort of got confused at first with people going 'Graflex this and Graflex that' and me going; I never heard that name in a Star Wars movie...

Nowadays I can't keep my eyes off 'em and as you say Brax; it might not be screen accurate, but I feel SF has given you one of their best sabers yet; the shine, the details, the feel of it :woohoo:
I can't wait to hopefully get some money back on taxes and a good chunk of vacation pay in June so that I can see what the future might hold for me (cause this Graflex is definitely enticing, but then there's ASP and other sabers from SF that I want and just.. aaargh, so much choice :silly: )

Awesome photos Brax and thanks for the review, definitely helps with making those of us who don't have one yet drool with anticipation.
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 1 day ago #89236

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 523
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Damn, although the lightsaber that really made me fall in love with the concept of them was Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ (thing was I watched Star Wars back when I was 8-9 years old on VHS back to back in one day - and the rest is history :lol: ), the Graflex has really become one of those sabers that you just need to own ;)
I mean, ever since discovering this hobby, I sort of got confused at first with people going 'Graflex this and Graflex that' and me going; I never heard that name in a Star Wars movie...

Nowadays I can't keep my eyes off 'em and as you say Brax; it might not be screen accurate, but I feel SF has given you one of their best sabers yet; the shine, the details, the feel of it :woohoo:
I can't wait to hopefully get some money back on taxes and a good chunk of vacation pay in June so that I can see what the future might hold for me (cause this Graflex is definitely enticing, but then there's ASP and other sabers from SF that I want and just.. aaargh, so much choice :silly: )

Awesome photos Brax and thanks for the review, definitely helps with making those of us who don't have one yet drool with anticipation.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

You gotta get a Graflex! It's a well know fact that there are Zero good arguments for not having one....

Z...
E...
R...
O...

Not that they are in anyway addictive.... nope.... :blink: :dry: :woohoo:
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 17 hours ago #89276

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 305
Jas-Ot wrote:
CrimsonJax88 wrote:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

You gotta get a Graflex! It's a well know fact that there are Zero good arguments for not having one....

Z...
E...
R...
O...

Hm...sounds to me like I need to put "Graflex" somewhere on my saber list... :dry: :lol:

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 3 weeks 5 hours ago #89324

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 187
Jas-Ot wrote:
CrimsonJax88 wrote:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Z...
E...
R...
O...

Haha, ain't it true :woohoo:
Like said, my main problem right now is that I've got 5 hilts in commission (4 with one sabersmith and 1 with our own Squidious) and even though the wife has 1 commission as well with Squidious, it's getting hard to make a good argument of buying more lightsabers if the one's I bought/commissioned 1,5 years ago haven't even come in (btw, that's not Squidious were talking about, he's doing stellar work that's on schedule and everything, just to make sure nobody starts thinking he takes that long at a time to do a commission ;)

So right now I'm hoping my other sabersmith will soon have those hilts done and then I can focus on either this Graflex, a Prodigal Son or a new ASP design, but damn... then there's also me wanting an Anovos Darth Vader (or Death Trooper) helmet and aargh :silly: :blink: :S :pinch:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Champion Double Reveal Graflex 2 weeks 3 days ago #89484

• Chuthmac
Hey Brax!

Beautiful saber, and thanks for all the pictures, I ordered mine 7 weeks ago and I am patiently waiting for it to ship! I was wondering if the glass eye, brass pins and clamp card are removable or if they are permanently attached? I want to swap out some cosmetic parts when mine arrives!

Thanks again!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Shoto saber design, ISO i... (61 Posts)
    • Hi Major, The shade on the Gladius body block ring doesn't look too bad (in your comparison...
    • Quote: Ah I see what you mean Major_Tom....it is a tad dark! But I could only judge on the photo you...
    • Ah I see what you mean Major_Tom....it is a tad dark! But I could only judge on the photo you...
    • Quote: The lighting in the photo isn't very good. I think BCII is a little too dark and BCI is a little too...
    • Chassis Available! (7 Posts)
    • I hope my Redeemer ordered in January will be fitted with that one....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.4k
  • Total Topics: 5842
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 11
  • Yesterday Answer: 14