• Page:

TOPIC: Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 2 weeks 5 days ago #89386

• Ser Arcturis
  • Elite Member
  • Occupation? No, just visiting.
  • Thank you received: 50
How/where did you get that blade?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OvrcAHst

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 2 weeks 5 days ago #89395

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 372
The saber looks great, but that blade is particularly awesome. What did you do to make it look like that?

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 2 weeks 5 days ago #89399

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 544
Looks like an Anakin's Armory blade?
Forum shutting down? Oh no!
Come and join THE VAULT: A Custom Lightsaber Community

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 2 weeks 5 days ago #89401

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1915
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Man, how fast do you work? :lol:
Awesome work, definitely like the name and the look of it.
:lol: Cheers mate.. and when not taking the scenic route through Rome, it really doesn't take that long (already had the concept visualised and completed in theory upon Order and waiting for its delivery ;) )

Ser Arcturis wrote:
How/where did you get that blade?
scifidude79 wrote:
The saber looks great, but that blade is particularly awesome. What did you do to make it look like that?
As KelbornX wrote, Anakins Armory Unstable blades..

Effectively used with SuperNova, JediKiller and ThundaHo.. B)

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 2 weeks 1 day ago #89628

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 187
OvrcAHst wrote:
CrimsonJax88 wrote:
Man, how fast do you work? :lol:
Awesome work, definitely like the name and the look of it.
:lol: Cheers mate.. and when not taking the scenic route through Rome, it really doesn't take that long (already had the concept visualised and completed in theory upon Order and waiting for its delivery ;) )
:lol: :P
OvrcAHst wrote:
and ThundaHo.. B)
Best name evah :silly:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by CrimsonJax88.

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 1 week 5 days ago #89709

• Trusty MCoolGuy
Can you kind of explain how you did that? For someone who is who isnt experiences with this.

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 5 days 12 hours ago #89952

• OvrcAHst
Trusty MCoolGuy wrote:
Can you kind of explain how you did that? For someone who is who isnt experiences with this.
:lol: I'm pretty inexperienced with it myself.. I simply wanted an alternate aesthetic and did what i thought was the best way to achieve it..

SuperNova disassembled.

Left to Right:
Base hilt with stock emitter shroud removed; pommel shroud; covertech; switch body shroud; secondary anchoring cuff; emitter shroud.

Hilt exterior was received in the weathered finish. I sanded it using 400grit (-600 grit) wet/dry paper to remove the bulk of it and expose the raw aluminium before finishing with circular blending using fine and superfine steel wool. Concentration was placed on exposing the open surface area to simulate the build up around the recessed grooves.

The pommel was realligned to the orientation of the body by adjusting an internal C-clip (female thread shortening).

The primary tool used for the modification was an electric rotary tool (Dremel) with various attachments alternated. The stock emitter shroud originally was symmetrical in appearance and featured 3 flared ridges that raised the outer diameter of the hilt slightly. Two incisions were made at positions 3 and 9 o'clock. With keeping the underside raised, the upperside was filed and sanded to reduce the OD to better marry the ID of the shroud I cut.

The brass used were offcuts of miscellaneous sleeves/cuffs/parts found. Everything was cut by hand (without the precision of CNC) with the intention of slotting together during assembly and reusing the existing pilot holes from the default hilt ie LED retention hole.

An 8/32 Brass thumbscrew through a cuff reinforces the anchoring of friction-fit pieces, screwed into said LED retention hole (after removal of the default setscrew).

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 5 days 12 hours ago #89953

• OvrcAHst

The slotted plate under the switch section locks into the emitter shroud and the pommel shroud is secured by the default covertech and hole.

By sliding the default emitter shroud off first, this slides downwards into the brass emitter shroud where the emitters flange locks it in place. Then the whole assembly slides back onto the default blade holder.

Here's a sneak-peek of another I've been working on that forms part of the Brass-Accents Collection, a 7Chambers Vestige. B)

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 5 days 9 hours ago #89955

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 746
Amazing work, almost totally unrecognizable from the original.

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 5 days 3 hours ago #89961

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 305
OvrcAHst wrote:
Hilt exterior was received in the weathered finish. I sanded it using 400grit (-600 grit) wet/dry paper to remove the bulk of it and expose the raw aluminium before finishing with circular blending using fine and superfine steel wool. Concentration was placed on exposing the open surface area to simulate the build up around the recessed grooves.

So, THAT'S how he does it! :ohmy:

Good to know for wiping down my upcoming weathered hilt that I don't want fully 'weathered.' I always wondered how you did it, exactly. By this line of thought, the more sanding and use of steel wool, the less 'residual buildup' is left and the shinier the rest of the hilt is left, right?

Did you use a clear coat finish after the fact? I assume so.

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 5 days 2 hours ago #89963

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 544
Dremel space wizard over here. :lol:

Love how that all fits together.

I've been doing my own additions with brass (and copper), I'll post some pics later. (much simpler than this haha)

Eddlyss64 wrote:
By this line of thought, the more sanding and use of steel wool, the less 'residual buildup' is left and the shinier the rest of the hilt is left, right?

Did you use a clear coat finish after the fact? I assume so.

I'm sure Orvc will chime in with his own thoughts, but...

Yes, the more you sand it the more of the anodizing you're gonna take off of it. It's hard to get in the grooves with hand sanding, so it will naturally get that "build up" style look no matter how shiny you do the rest of the hilt. Metal files or a sanding drum/disc on a dremel is best for getting into those spots, if desired.

Or if you want to entirely remove the anodizing, the easiest way is to submerge the saber into commercial grade degreaser (Easy Off!, Greased Lightning, etc.. get the gallon bottle not the spray can) and scrub it with something to agitate it (toothbrush works well); don't leave it in too long or it will begin to oxidize the metal. Though if you're planing to weather it afterwards that can be a good base; such as if you want to take the "perfect" black off of the Dual Tone finish and hit the saber with Aluminum Black instead.

I personally don't like my weathered sabers to be too "shiny" on the non-weathered areas. I usually do a kind of matte brushed/worn look... since it's a tool that's been handled but (obviously) not very cared for. Typically I stop at 00 (fine) steel wool or even just a scotchbrite pad; 0000 (super fine) steel wool is good for blending the weathering though. From an RP standpoint, if you're gonna polish your saber... might as well clean all of the gunk off of it too lol.

I am not a fan of clear coating, and iirc Orvc isn't either. It leaves a kind of fake "candy glaze" look to it that I just can't stand. While fingerprints are the bane of a polished saber, a wipe-down with a polishing/microfiber cloth is easy enough before putting it back on the shelf.

Even with sabers weathered with Aluminum Black (which will wear off from handling) I dislike clear coating. For that I use a light coating of the Gun Stock Wax from the same company (Birchwood Casey) to "seal" the weathering if it's on areas that will see frequent handling (main grip, etc). After about 24hrs the wax isn't very "waxy" anymore, though it is still a bit "grippier" than bare aluminum. Which is nice for dueling actually. By doing this I'll wear down the wax from use instead of the weathering, and just put another coating on as needed.
Forum shutting down? Oh no!
Come and join THE VAULT: A Custom Lightsaber Community
Last Edit: 5 days 2 hours ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Veteran USA | Weathered w/QC DR/Y LEDs 5 days 13 minutes ago #89968

• jedielijah
  • Thank you received: 14
Whoa! :ohmy: You have taken that Nova to a whole new level! :whistle: You,like so many on this forum have such a passion for customizng these sabers. I enjoy seeing such great work and skills. Thank you! B)
Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Chassis Available! (7 Posts)
    • I hope my Redeemer ordered in January will be fitted with that one....
    • I'll still be here on May 1st. The force may be strong with you all, but the denial is stronger with...
    • Shoto saber design, ISO i... (57 Posts)
    • The lighting in the photo isn't very good. I think BCII is a little too dark and BCI is a little too...
    • The true spirit among us never dies. :P
    • Still here till the end Thanx Brax

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.4k
  • Total Topics: 5842
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146