Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 8 months 1 week ago #68522

• Snakeeyz99
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Growing up as a 90's kid in a family of Star Wars fans was amazing. For me, the highlight of the time period was visiting my uncle and getting the chance to give Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 a spin.

It game starts much like the first one, but with vastly improved controls and graphics. You play Kyle Katarn, a smuggler on a mission to recover his father's data disk at any cost, even if it means defying the Empire. It starts as a normal FPS. You fight grans, gammoreans and bounty hunters right off the bat as you escape Nar Shadda in the opening scenes, then return home to find your old droid and play your father's last words.

This is when the game really takes off, because the father's message informs you that you are in fact force sensitive (as he had been), and he gifts you an old jedi's green lightsaber. As you progress from this point you obtain force powers on either the light or dark side, depending on whether your actions are good/neutral or evil (basically just slaughtering the few idle NPCs in the game). These choices have a huge impact on the game's story, and in the end you fight Jerec at the Valley of the Jedi , a source of immense power left by the thought-bomb set off by Darth Bane millenia prior. You battle either to obtain the power for yourself or to protect it from evil for all time.

For me, this was the first game where I felt the consequences of my actions (and it was also the first game I was able to completely cut someone's arm off in, which was pretty cool). You could even redeem one of the Sith, which ends up with you getting his yellow lightsaber instead of your green one.

I recommend this game for anyone who likes classic FPS games, even if it hasn't aged the best. I think you can pick it up pretty cheap on Steam during the seasonal sales.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 8 months 1 week ago #68523

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 268
That series of games was bad ass.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 8 months 1 week ago #68524

• ukyavuz
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 42
It was an interesting series as well lets see if i rmeember correclty.

Dark Forces (I hate to admit but never played this)

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 (played this multilayer more than single enver finished story but it was one of my favorite games back than)

Jedi Knight: Mysterious of the Sith (this was actually an expansion pack for dark forces 2 but i think it deserves to be counted as a separate game. Also not played this much single player I got stuck in one of missions and got bored out of it)

Jedi Knight II (what it makes this dark Forces 2-2?) Jedi Outcast (Damn this was a good story and I think this one was first one that was making it easier to play in third person shooter while holding lightsaber)

JediKnight: Jedi Academy (For me this was the best game in the series both for story and ability to use different sword types along with sword styles probably finished it more than a couple of times which is rare for me and played it alot multiplayer it was fun)

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 8 months 1 week ago #68525

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1063
You can pick up all of the LucasArts games at GoG pretty cheap. What I like about getting them there, vs. Steam is 1.) No Steam required. 2.) They come with all the documentation that came with the game (including the strategy guides if they were written for the game).

They come in the form of a compressed file that you unzip to a HD on any computer, double-click on the executable, and you are off an running.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 8 months 1 week ago #68526

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 76
Fond memories of this game, Rogue Squadron and Rebel Assault II - The Hidden Empire.
All three were epic in their own fantastic way, with Rogue Squadron giving you the flight experience and Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight giving you the battle aspect - with at the time indeed the first time that you could handle a lightsaber and cut someone's arm off!
Rebel Assault then mixed those two (without the lightsaber though), which was at times brilliant and at times frustrating - especially the flying missions were not as smooth as in Rogue Squadron.

I still remember how incredible that Jedi Knight was, just feeling special cause you weren't just playing as Luke Skywalker in the NES/SNES games, but an actual new character that was learning the ways of the Force.
Besides, the cinematics in that game really made it feel even more epic than it already was - those actors really delivered and made it feel like you were playing Episode 7 (or a Star Wars Anthology).

If there's one EU character that I really want to see join canon besides the likes of Thrawn, Quinlan Vos, etc. it's Kyle Katarn (or, some Knights of the Old Republic and Legacy characters are higher on the list but Revan and Cade Skywalker don't have to appear in film for me to feel they are canon).
Kyle would just be awesome, his storyline in both Dark Forces 2 and Jedi Outcast was amazing and man... if SaberForge would make his lightsaber hilt, it would buy it in a heartbeat :D (Qu Rhan's lightsaber that you inherit in the game as well for that matter).
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 7 months 6 days ago #69585

• MusicallyInspired
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 77
Dark Forces (the original) was the first I played and my favourite in the series. I remember playing the demo on an E2 magazine demo CD-ROM along with Full Throttle. Always dreamed about playing the full game after playing that first free mission for so long. Then one day I came home from school and my dad was playing mission 2! I was so excited.

Font memories of all the Jedi Knight games, actually. I remember playing DF2 multiplayer with a good friend of mine and we had some fun. Those levels were massive in that game! Years later I bought Jedi Outcast with money I got from my first job. And then still more years later I finally acquired a jewel case release of Jedi Academy. All good games. My favourite and fondest come from the original Dark Forces, though. Love the level design, the custom soundtrack (the only one in the entire series that doesn't rip completely off of the movie scores!), and great art direction. Still replay it from time to time to this day.

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 7 months 5 days ago #69605

• Zeddicuus
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Man I got Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight when I was in High School and got really involved in the skinning community. Released all kinds of stuff onto Massassi.net, which I think still exists. I even got into cogging to create custom weapons, force abilities etc etc. You could make the game do a lot! I knew several people that got deep into level building and created some of the coolest multiplayer levels I ever saw. Played it for years in multiplayer, all kinds of mods and everything. I still play it from time to time, even though the players are knew have long since moved on.

Recently played through Jedi Outcast and Academy again after they gathered dust for a few years. Great fun! I didn't get into skinning these ones like I did in Jedi Knight, but the mods and levels were all pretty cool.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Trades (3 Posts)
    • I get that, like I just figure to say something cuz I wouldn't mind it but most people wanna build...
    • Custom Saber Build: Self (3 Posts)
    • Yes, I am trying to go through and fix these images now. One way or another, my posts will be fixed...
    • Custom Saber Build: Self (3 Posts)
    • Looks cool in the model viewer (as well as the other two you posted). If all of those dead links...
    • hitoren? (42 Posts)
    • Haven't gotten mine yet, though they just sent out another Kickstarter update the other day....
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (746 Posts)
    • I just ordered an Initiate tier Acolyte hilt from the Etsy shop. It will be interesting to see how...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5272
  • Latest Member: AlbertKt
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4699
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 12
  • Yesterday Answer: 10