Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: DIY Sound Board Breakdown

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 8 months 3 weeks ago #67750

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 608
13.5A limit, so should be safe enough to run two 12W+ for a saber staff or a 12W+ and two 6W+ for a crossguard. Neat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonnys95s10

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 8 months 3 weeks ago #67945

• Cirdale
Quick question!

I got an Archon, Champion tier. For some reason, the swings sometimes stop working if its being left without a kill key in for a while and it's been turned of. If I place the kill key back in and remove it and turn on the saber directly after that, the swings work again. If I turn it of, and leave it for a few minutes and turn it back on later, the swings are gone.

Is this normal?

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 7 months 2 weeks ago #69369

• Solinbeb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
So has anyone drawn up the diagram to wire the Saber Core 2 with a lit switch and a recharge port? I've been out for a while and might have missed it.
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Solinbeb.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 7 months 2 weeks ago #69372

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
SF wires them always-on with SwitchLED+ to BoardPWR+ and SwitchLED- to BoardPWR- with an appropriate resistor somewhere on that circuit.

Though I imagine you could hook the Switch LED contacts to the matching Board LED contacts (with appropriate resistor) if you want the switch to mirror the blade.

There're no dedicated accent LED pads, so resistor for a 3.7-4v battery pack. A 100ohm 1/4W is suited for the lower voltage red at full blast and should still light up blue and green. If you want the higher-voltage LEDs brighter, use a 50ohm 1/4W (or two 100ohm in parallel) instead.
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Kouri.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 6 months 2 weeks ago #70027

• DarthRiley
http://www.galco.com/buy/Motorola/TIP42C?source=googleshopping&gclid=Cj0KEQiAsrnCBRCTs7nqwrm6pcYBEiQAcQSznOmUuIamwAnRMGBXkuY01QVzQCVck-kNTD3PcQcGTNwaAgyQ8P8HAQ

Would this one work for this? I'm getting ready to install an obi wan board on my PS.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 6 months 2 weeks ago #70043

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
That'll work, but if you wanna skip shipping, your local RadioShack probably has the part on-hand.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 6 months 2 weeks ago #70044

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 268
Don't know if it helps, but Amazon usually has 5, 10 or 20 packs of these pretty cheap with free shipping if you have a Prime membership.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 5 months 2 weeks ago #71123

• Swordguy00
I’m new to the build scene so forgive me if I don’t ask the right questions. Looking to upgrade my champion saber with the Igniter 2, I want a color-mixing LED for the main channel, a second matching LED for the crystal chamber which mirrors the profile of the main, and a third LED dedicated to FoC/shimmer. Not sure which LEDs to get though, I was thinking NEC’s Z6 would be good for the main and crystal chamber LEDs and the Cree XP-E2 could be hooked up to an accent pad for shimmer/FoC. Can the Igniter 2 handle my vision?
Links to the LEDs discussed:
Z6: http://www.saberigniter.com/Z6.aspx
Tri Cree RGB: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/RedGreenRoyal-Blue-Cree-XP-E2-CopperNova-P1016.aspx

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73607

• Darth Zerus
  • Thank you received: 2
Have to mention, this is a great thread. Props to Kouri, as this has been my go-to for making a decision on my new sound board.

With my second saber, I am getting a Spark 2, so I can colour mix. I intend on a medium red with royal blue, however, of the 2 LED choices I have, what should I go with in regards to optimum brightness (optics taken into consideration etc)

1. Tri-Cree dR/R/rB
2. SF Quad 12W+ dR/R/rB/rB

3 colour fonts I will set on board will be medium red, deep blue, indigo.

Since the Spark2 puts out 12W on each channel, I'm thinking the x2 rB's on the 2nd channel will end up being brighter than if I got a Tri? I have watched a few vids regarding the whole 'brightness wars'... can anyone advise?

Additionally, has anyone had any issues with incorrect LED's being made, ordering from the main site? Should I email someone beforehand, and if so, will it be just the sales email?

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73609

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 220
Since Spark 2 is a dual channel board, your best bet for mixing a good indigo would be the SF Quad setup. You'd have 6w Deep Blue / 6w Med Red to mix with. The Tri would give you 6w Med Red and only 3w Deep Blue. So you'd really have to dim the reds on the tri to get an indigo.

The main differences that I've seen between tri and quad LEDs, besides the obvious brightness of an extra die, are the optics. A quad lens tends to give more of a base flare with a slightly dim tip (especially on longer blades) than the tri, which seems to give a more even blade but is obviously a bit dimmer overall.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by KelbornX.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73611

• Darth Zerus
KelbornX wrote:
Since Spark 2 is a dual channel board, your best bet for mixing a good indigo would be the SF Quad setup. You'd have 6w Deep Blue / 6w Med Red to mix with. The Tri would give you 6w Med Red and only 3w Deep Blue. So you'd really have to dim the reds on the tri to get an indigo.

The main differences that I've seen between tri and quad LEDs, besides the obvious brightness of an extra die, are the optics. A quad lens tends to give more of a base flare with a slightly dim tip (especially on longer blades) than the tri, which seems to give a more even blade but is obviously a bit dimmer overall.

thanks Kel, I thought that may be the case. My first hilt is going to have a dR/R/G tri-cree, a mirrored setup with Spark 2. Parts have already been ordered for this one, but not installed yet, and I'm worried that there will be a significant difference between the med red looks on either hilt. Am I being ridiculous, should I not be worried?

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73620

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
There may be a slight variation depending on the binning of the LEDs and the optics used, but nothing too drastic. I wouldn't be worried about it.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73634

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Die for die, the larger Cree XP-E2 and Luxeon Rebels are brighter than the SF XQ-E, so you can't go wrong either way. I personally didn't see a huge increase in brightness between my single Cree and 6W blues.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73635

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
I just see an issue with mixing Indigo when having 2 reds on one channel and only 1 blue on the other. I would imagine the reds would have to be dimmed rather significantly to get a good shade, at which point the X4 probably would end up being brighter. I could be totally off base though since I'm still wrapping my head around color mixing myself.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73696

• Darth Zerus
thanks Kel & Kouri. I decided in the end to go with Tri-Cree in the end, as I wanted both sabers to have matching med red blades, as they will be my dual wielding set, and I want the binning and base flare to be the same.
The 3rd dies, green and blue over the two hilts, are just basically my Jedi add-on afterthoughts. I'll post threads when they are completed :)

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73712

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
I remember watching Rebels a while black and studying the Red blades. Yellow FoC and Green blaster-block. Can totally pull that off with a R/R/G (or dR/R/G or dR/dR/G) and a Spark2. Super nifty combination.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73716

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Love the yellow FOC on Reds!

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73717

• Darth Zerus
Kouri wrote:
I remember watching Rebels a while black and studying the Red blades. Yellow FoC and Green blaster-block. Can totally pull that off with a R/R/G (or dR/R/G or dR/dR/G) and a Spark2. Super nifty combination.

Pretty much exactly what I was intending! Also great how the Spark2 is so flexible, the other font colors I was going to set to yellow/amber/red-orange and also a green/lime green (not sure what a green + tiny bit of med red would end up at)

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 2 weeks ago #73718

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
There're folks that like full-blast green with a tiny drop of red for RotJ Green.

DIY Sound Board Breakdown 3 months 3 days ago #74071

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Finally got a pic of the various soundboards side by side:

Left to Right:

Sabercore 2.0
Spark Color2 (Spark2 and Igniter2 are same board)
Crystal Focus V8
Prizm V4
Nano Biscotte V3
Pico Crumble

Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5280
  • Latest Member: EIJoseph
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4701
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119
  • Today Open: 1