Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Han Solo Movie Loses Directors

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76319

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1338
Apparently, with weeks of principal photography already in the can, the co-directors have exited the project, due to...surprise..."creative differences". Although, this is apparently not unprecedented, it does not sound like a good thing at all.

Holywood Reporter Story
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76320

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 335
I was already skeptical about a Han Solo movie and this does not help that skepticism. Hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds and they are able to deliver a decent film.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76323

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
Oh jeez, didn't we tell everyone that George Lucas wasn't allowed back in!
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76324

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 631
Han Solo was a likeable and effective character as far as Episodes 4, 5 and 6 were concerned. He added to the story of the Skywalker family, Rebels and the Galactic Empire. Me think that a stand-alone movie about him years before all of this would be interesting viewing but I don't think it would add much to the core canon. Personally I prefer stories that add to the core canon. Rogue One did that. Clone Wars series did that etc. etc.

But what the hell do I know. I'll probably enjoy the movie anyway.
"I am the Senate"

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76325

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
Well now that 40 years of novels are removed from canon we could use some replacement back story.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muns

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76327

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 107
Damn, the directors were the main reason I had high hopes for this movie. Managing to turn 2 properties - 21/22 Jump Street and Lego Movie - into more than just a quick cash-grab from Hollywood, I really felt that if somebody could give the Han Solo a unique feel that would make it feel the movie was necessary (and not just a strategic move by Disney to make money :P ) it was these two.

I loved Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, the humor in 21/22 Jump Street set the tone for whenever Hollywood wants to do remakes/reboots of certain properties (Baywatch, Chips, etc.) and were just fantastic and the Lego Movie - which should just have been a major toy commercial - was actually a really nice and loving film about creativity and letting your inner child out.

Still, with Alden Ehrenreich (he brought a very fun charisma to Beautiful Creatures and was extremely capable of carrying a movie as shown in Hail, Caesar), Woody Harrelson (he always brings his A-game) and Donald Glover (genius in more areas than just acting) as well as Emilia Clarke and Thandie Newton, I'm hoping that the star quality will still give the film a relevant and hopefully meaningful experience instead of just a 'We're trying to churn out 1 Star Wars movie a year to keep the money rollin' in, so let's go for what people think is attractive/popular/cool'.
Not that I have any problems with seeing Rogue One or a Obi-Wan, Boba Fett or other stand-alone character movies, but I had more been hoping Disney/Lucasfilm would go into other territories that have no connection to characters or events from the normal movies.

Let's see an Old Republic movie or a movie about the underbelly of Coruscant about Bounty Hunters or a Star Trek-like movie where people venture outside the edges of the known galaxy, or Mandalorians or whatever; the possibilities are there :cheer:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by CrimsonJax88.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76331

• Brax
  • Administrator
In further developments, Joe Johnston, and Ron Howard are being touted as the front runners to take over this project. That brings an interesting twist to the story!

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76332

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149
Dang, that sucks. I wonder if this development is going to delay the film. The 1 Star Wars movie a year plan was working for me.

Hm, Joe Johnston and Ron Howard. Not bad choices, I think. I'd love to see what Ron Howard could do with a Star Wars film. I think he can make anything. Joe Johnston has also made some good movies over the years. Both are comfortable doing Sci-Fi. I hope whoever they get is a Star Wars fan who will treat the property correctly.

The moral of this story; Don't clash with Kathleen Kennedy. She is LucasFilm now that George is retired. If you clash with her, it will not end well for you.

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76333

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 933
Hi all,

I too would like to see a SW film helmed by Howard (Ha! good catchphrase that for a campaign!), especially after the Lucas/Howard connections - American Graffiti and Willow to name but two. Unfortunately I think Ron turned down Episode 1 so don't know if he'd take on Solo.

I can live in hope...

For Tyeth

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76335

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
This was the one character I really didn't want to see a "prequel" for. Han Solo is iconic as played by Harrison Ford. I felt like it was a character that was best left alone, at least on screen.

We will see I guess....

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76336

• Brax
  • Administrator
I feel like, if they make a "good" Han Solo movie, it will only solidify the nature of the man who shot first, which would obviously not be a good thing to squelch that argument in the community. If they make a movie that portrays him as a man who would be engaged in illegal activity, for shady characters, and not be willing to pull the trigger first when he knows he will die if he doesn't, then how could it really be a good Han Solo movie?

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76337

• Shadow1275
  • Form 7 Master
  • Thank you received: 29
Abrams should have taken this movie instead of the Force Awakens, He's more suited to the Action Adventure type of Genre. Star Wars in general is a bit more meatier and dramatic. For example: The Empire Strikes back.

Though imo Disney's really dropped the ball. There's a wealth of good story to draw from in the EU. For this particular Movie I'd recommend the Young Han Solo series by A.C. Crispin. An excellent read.

I agree with Execute66 (Even though he's a Naughty Sith Lord B) ) I'm getting a bit tired of them milking the heck out of the Original Trilogy. I'd like to see a KOTOR movie, or the story of how the Jedi and Sith split, etc.
"You may be called upon yet again to defend the glory of the Republic against the tyranny of the Dark Side. For this, is the destiny, of the Jedi..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: scifidude79

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76342

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Shadow1275 wrote:
I agree with Execute66 (Even though he's a Naughty Sith Lord B) ) I'm getting a bit tired of them milking the heck out of the Original Trilogy. I'd like to see a KOTOR movie, or the story of how the Jedi and Sith split, etc.

Me too. Get away from that 60 year stretch in SW Galactic history and go to some other eras. Do a movie from back when the Jedi and Sith were legion and there were massive battles of Force users. I'd love to see them do something with Exar Kun and his war against the Jedi, or maybe Revan and his role in the Mandalorian Wars and Jedi Civil War or even Darth Bane and his near total destruction of the Sith. It would be exciting to see those characters fleshed out in a movie or series of movies, and to introduce some new characters into the somewhat limited SW canon.
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by scifidude79.

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76344

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 107
Seeing the Jedi/Sith in legion would indeed be awesome :woohoo:
I still remember how 16 years ago I got fooled into thinking this here was the real trailer for Episode II.

Even though it looks cheesy as hell looking back now, I still remember how I lost it when I saw all those Jedi (just the scene from Braveheart with lightsabers pasted over their swords) running into battle.
Even though we got a little preview of that in the actual Episode II, I still felt that AOTC didn't deliver as it could've - after all, Jedi going to town on Battle Droids isn't as epic as going to town on Sith like in the Old Republic trailers.

Seeing a massive all-out war between Jedi and Sith like in Tales of the Jedi, Knights of the Old Republic, The Old Republic or the Darth Bane era would be indeed something epic for the ages :woohoo:
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76347

• Brax
  • Administrator
Well, it looks like Ron Howard is taking over the project! I will be very interested to see what he does, not only with what has already been done, but also with making it his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scifidude79

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76348

• Darth Squidious
  • Platinum Member
You know who I would have liked to see take over Han's story is Guy Richie. That would be an awesome movie.

I agree with the ideas for an Old Republic movie, there is a lot to draw from and a Revan movie would be awesome, or go way back to Exar Kun.

Others that I would love to see would be a Republic Commando movie based off of the Karen Traviss novels. She was a reporter embedded with British spec ops before she started writing novels so her books have a really authentic feel, especially for a guy who served with some of those same guys. Or I'd like to see her write the screen play for a Boba Fett movie.

Finally, why can't we get a Starkiller movie while we're milking the original trilogy.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76350

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Brax wrote:
Well, it looks like Ron Howard is taking over the project! I will be very interested to see what he does, not only with what has already been done, but also with making it his own.

That's great news, Ron is an amazing talent. Depending on how much has been filmed, he may need to do some re-shoots to nab a solo directing credit. If I remember correctly, you have to film at least 51% of a movie to not share credits. Though, he may want to do more than that so that it matches his style more. That's one reason I fear it may be delayed.

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76351

• Brax
  • Administrator
scifidude79 wrote:
Brax wrote:

That's great news, Ron is an amazing talent. Depending on how much has been filmed, he may need to do some re-shoots to nab a solo directing credit. If I remember correctly, you have to film at least 51% of a movie to not share credits. Though, he may want to do more than that so that it matches his style more. That's one reason I fear it may be delayed.

I would rather see it delayed, so that Ron can do his thing, at his pace; than to see it rushed to meet a release date that was set long before any of this titanic change occurred. It would probably be a much better movie if it were pushed back.

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76364

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
Gotta agree with Brax, I'm not that keen on the ideas of this movie to begin with (but of course I'll go see it!), and if Ron Howard wants to take an extra year even, PLEASE let him do it. He's a great director and could actually make this movie good if given the chance.

Han Solo Movie Loses Directors 4 months 1 week ago #76371

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Brax wrote:
scifidude79 wrote:
Brax wrote:

I would rather see it delayed, so that Ron can do his thing, at his pace; than to see it rushed to meet a release date that was set long before any of this titanic change occurred. It would probably be a much better movie if it were pushed back.

True, I would rather see it done right too. Rushed movies are never good and rushed Star Wars could be terrible.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Ronin covertech wheel and... (4 Posts)
    • Hi. Glad to be of help. My suggestion is to get the 16" saber which will be weathered together if...
    • Coupler question (3 Posts)
    • Thanks again! That clears that up!
    • Pumpkin Carving (3 Posts)
    • Sweet
    • Mystery Box Sabers Have R... (19 Posts)
    • Quote: So tempting. I recently got a promotion at work and my new pay rate has kicked in, and my paycheck...
    • Ronin covertech wheel and... (4 Posts)
    • Thanks for the help! It was nice to see a picture of how it would look on that saber. Do the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5879
  • Latest Member: ahopohek
  • Total Posts: 61k
  • Total Topics: 5084
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 7
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 27
  • Yesterday Answer: 16