Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question?

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 6 days ago #76783

• scifidude79
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Darth Squidious wrote:
Having thought about it a bit, guys like me and the others who think building is part of fun of this hobby, or those of us who refer to it as a "hobby" probably don't represent the majority of SF customers. I imagine that the typical customer buys a saber to play with and gives it a hallowed space on the bookshelf, never to be heard from again.

The learning curve for even an ASP with a P&P kit is probably more than the casual customer wants to sign on for.

Still, absolutely blasphemous.

This is probably hitting the nail on the head here. In various saber groups, I've seen more people who simply buy sabers loaded with the options they want, as opposed to building their own. Some lack the ability, some lack the free time, some just lack the desire to do their own thing. Sure, SF offers assembly for ASP, but that costs extra and most people would probably rather just get that hilt inspired by their favorite character or that just looks cool to them with the features they want and not worry about things. There are only so many of us DIY types out there.

Another thing to remember is how many people the forum posters actually represent, as far as SF's actual customers. Probably not as many people who just buy sabers even join the forum. Meanwhile, us DIY types can't wait to show off our projects for the community. :cheer:

Personally, ASP is one of the reasons I'm here. Sure, I've bought a couple of Apprentice hilts to get me started, but I want to start ordering ASP parts soon. I have a build planned that's going to be close to $200 in ASP parts, but well worth it. I've looked at similar systems elsewhere, and nobody has SF beat for range of parts available and prices, nobody. You can literally buy any emitter, switch section, body and pommel and create a saber that's uniquely you. Plus, any and all holes you need are in the parts already. Some places get those of us without drill presses by charging us for every hole. Not SF, it's all ready to go out of the box. Plus, anodizing is standard. That's one reason I'm here, and this goes for SF's regular hilts as well, the amount of work that goes into each hilt and ASP piece is excellent and a cut above some other places, all for a good price.
Last Edit: 1 week 6 days ago by scifidude79.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 6 days ago #76784

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1148
We represent an infinitesimal percentage of the customer base, here in the forum. I would love to change that, but I am not sure what I can offer here, that folks don't already get on the CLSO Facebook feed.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 6 days ago #76785

• Valaris
  • Thank you received: 7
Brax wrote:
We represent an infinitesimal percentage of the customer base, here in the forum. I would love to change that, but I am not sure what I can offer here, that folks don't already get on the CLSO Facebook feed.

I don't know much about website design but I feel maybe the link to the forums being on the top bar rather than left navigation menu might help. At the bottom of the latter it feels buried under a lot of other options, most people might not even see it.

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 6 days ago #76786

• Darth Squidious
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 67
Valaris wrote:
Brax wrote:

I don't know much about website design but I feel maybe the link to the forums being on the top bar rather than left navigation menu might help. At the bottom of the latter it feels buried under a lot of other options, most people might not even see it.

This is a fair point, worth taking a look at, maybe even slap a graphic on the homepage, make us look exciting! By the time they realize what they've gotten themselves into, it will be too late. Muahahahaha!

Scifidude and I seem to be on the same page, IMO for the money SF offers the best sabers out there from both a fan perspective and a machining/quality/detail perspective. ASP offers a lot more detail and variety than other modular systems, which don't have much that floats my boat.

Its also worth mentioning that when I first got into this hobby, there was a lot of so/so to downright hateful opinions of SF out on the interwebs. Luckily I take those things with a grain of salt (a happy customer will tell 3 people, an unhappy one will tell 30) because I have yet to have a negative experience.

Still, its a shame we won't see ASPv2 because the thought of a custom cross guard build gave me that special feeling.
If there is only one hot chick in the galaxy... And she's your sister.

You might be a redneck.

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 6 days ago #76788

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 529
@Brax thanks for your reply. I've not got a clear answer to my query on the ASP Mauler parts from CS rep other that the usual, parts are restocked after 4 weeks Yada Yada Bla bla. That's why I posted, here to get a definitive answer from the man himself. Your efforts are always appreciated though, because you are here for us, the lost and unappreciated SF forum. As for the FB lightsaber group, you previously mentioned, some of us are not privy to that info. They have a very strict policy about people's comments, whether it be a hostile remark, or just the mention of another company, and ((BANNED)) So maybe set up a Thread pertaining to that site specifically. Again thanks for all you do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 6 days ago #76790

• Brax
  • Administrator
When I become aware that the link is live on the main site (and I scan the CLSO FB feed frequently just for that), I will make sure it is known here as soon after that as circumstances permit. We might be a comparatively small group, but I try to get you the late breaking information as soon (if not sooner) than they find out on the FB page. You deserve nothing less.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=, Gen Croix Man

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 1 day ago #76962

• Brax
  • Administrator
Couple of things to report.

1. Phil was putting out a potential date for the Vader MPP pre-order link on the main site. That was as follows:
Phillip Isherwood Were going to do a few more beauty shot renders and a video clip of the saber showing every angle and were going to do a demo of the coa you will get, I would say by the weekend it will be live.

2. I could have sworn someone was asking about the rewards program. If so, the reason it is unavailable is as follows:
Phil Isherwood: We had some black hats use exploits to circumvent the point caps and the limit on referrals and we had to end the program. I can name names if you guys want to gather your torches and pichforks.
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Brax.

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 1 day ago #76974

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 233
Brax wrote:

2. I could have sworn someone was asking about the rewards program. If so, the reason it is unavailable is as follows:
Phil Isherwood: We had some black hats use exploits to circumvent the point caps and the limit on referrals and we had to end the program. I can name names if you guys want to gather your torches and pichforks.

That's what I figured happened... always someone has to find an exploit and ruin it for everyone. Hopefully it comes back, if referrals can be disabled.

Guess another question I'd have is if CS could generate gift card codes using remaining points on people's accounts? I know I was just shy of a $25 off.

CS reached out a few weeks ago to people with pending pre-orders offering either compensation for the delay in the form of store credit (as a gift card code) or the option to exchange what you were waiting for to an in-stock item. So I know they can pull account records like that, at least.

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 1 day ago #76977

• Darth Squidious
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 67
Yep, I was just about to cash in for 25$ and place an order when I found out they'd shut it down. Feel free to name names, nothing like a good public shaming.
If there is only one hot chick in the galaxy... And she's your sister.

You might be a redneck.

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 1 day ago #76987

• Gen Croix Man
  • Your focus determines your reality
  • Thank you received: 12
It sucks when everyone has to pay the consequences for a few who took advantage of the system. Hopefully there is something they can do to reinstate the rewards program and carryover for the ones that did things the right way.
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

"Do you hear that? That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way."

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 week 16 hours ago #77002

• BoostinIX
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 182
Woulda been nice to cash out my points... :\

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 4 days 11 hours ago #77094

• ZrenTobas87
  • Thank you received: 2
Yeah. What's with the new no in hilt re-charge battery option? Is it standard stunt AAA battery set up again like years ago as to make it cheaper on some people? :P I sense an Exhalted finally in a couple months for me. Also any chance of a dueling version Sidious saber or inspired by anyway? Close to original design just more duel worthy?
Want: Bastion deep blue, Epoch cyan, Descendant medium blue, Venom red, Exhalted light blue, Katana white, Mercenary green, Oracle purple

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 3 days 21 hours ago #77108

• armsofilum
  • Thank you received: 1
I seem to remember Phil stating on FB that everyone in the saber business would be doing LED strip blades (think NeoPixel) by the end of the year. Does SF have a timeframe for that and is pixel support something that will come with Sabercore 3.0?

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 2 days 2 hours ago #77161

• Roger Redux
  • Premium Member
  • There is no Ignorance - There is Knowledge, There is no Fear - There is Power, I am the Heart of The Force, I am the revealing fire of Light, I am the Mystery of Darkness, *
  • Thank you received: 38
Will the shoto sabers only be based on the Apprentice sabers, or is there a chance of some shotos based on Elite hilts also? I'm specifically thinking the Phoenix or Ka'Tano.
* In Balance with Chaos and Harmony, Immortal in The Force

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 day 3 hours ago #77218

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 234
Shoto will be limited to apprentice, although an apprentice version of the katano is definitely possible. Were looking at machining processes to fake shrouds so we can do lower cost one piece designs that look like they are multi part assemblies. We are looking at doing that with the silver knight, which with the Rebel is one of our more requested discontinued designs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Roger Redux

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 day 3 hours ago #77221

• Brax
  • Administrator
See guys! If you're nice, good things happen. In this case, you get answer straight from the big guy himself! B)

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 day 3 hours ago #77222

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
armsofilum wrote:
I seem to remember Phil stating on FB that everyone in the saber business would be doing LED strip blades (think NeoPixel) by the end of the year. Does SF have a timeframe for that and is pixel support something that will come with Sabercore 3.0?

The new NEC igniter is going to support neopixel so that is probably something we will offer as an optional upgrade on hero sabers.

For Champion and Warrior sabers we are working on a single color LED strip blade, we hope to have those to market by the end of the year. Our prototypes are 2-3x brighter than a 12w+ blade. Pricing is whats holding us up right now, at current pricing the blades would cost customers 75.00 bucks, and while its cool to have a super bright blade, and be able to change the color with a simple swap, I duno if people are going to be into paying that much.

ALSO fairly important, with the current design thin neck sabers are not strip blade compatible, so thats another thing we have to work on.
Last Edit: 1 day 3 hours ago by SFGrandMaster-Phil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, Greysider

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 day 3 hours ago #77224

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
=Ottomatix= wrote:
@Brax thanks for your reply. I've not got a clear answer to my query on the ASP Mauler parts from CS rep other that the usual, parts are restocked after 4 weeks Yada Yada Bla bla. That's why I posted, here to get a definitive answer from the man himself. Your efforts are always appreciated though, because you are here for us, the lost and unappreciated SF forum. As for the FB lightsaber group, you previously mentioned, some of us are not privy to that info. They have a very strict policy about people's comments, whether it be a hostile remark, or just the mention of another company, and ((BANNED)) So maybe set up a Thread pertaining to that site specifically. Again thanks for all you do.

Were working on a redesign of the Mauler to make it more economical to produce, the eta is not till the end of the year, but pricing should come down a good bit, especially for the emitter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 day 3 hours ago #77225

• SFGrandMaster-Phil
  • Administrator
scifidude79 wrote:
Darth Squidious wrote:
Having thought about it a bit, guys like me and the others who think building is part of fun of this hobby, or those of us who refer to it as a "hobby" probably don't represent the majority of SF customers. I imagine that the typical customer buys a saber to play with and gives it a hallowed space on the bookshelf, never to be heard from again.

The learning curve for even an ASP with a P&P kit is probably more than the casual customer wants to sign on for.

Still, absolutely blasphemous.

This is probably hitting the nail on the head here. In various saber groups, I've seen more people who simply buy sabers loaded with the options they want, as opposed to building their own. Some lack the ability, some lack the free time, some just lack the desire to do their own thing. Sure, SF offers assembly for ASP, but that costs extra and most people would probably rather just get that hilt inspired by their favorite character or that just looks cool to them with the features they want and not worry about things. There are only so many of us DIY types out there.

Another thing to remember is how many people the forum posters actually represent, as far as SF's actual customers. Probably not as many people who just buy sabers even join the forum. Meanwhile, us DIY types can't wait to show off our projects for the community. :cheer:

Personally, ASP is one of the reasons I'm here. Sure, I've bought a couple of Apprentice hilts to get me started, but I want to start ordering ASP parts soon. I have a build planned that's going to be close to $200 in ASP parts, but well worth it. I've looked at similar systems elsewhere, and nobody has SF beat for range of parts available and prices, nobody. You can literally buy any emitter, switch section, body and pommel and create a saber that's uniquely you. Plus, any and all holes you need are in the parts already. Some places get those of us without drill presses by charging us for every hole. Not SF, it's all ready to go out of the box. Plus, anodizing is standard. That's one reason I'm here, and this goes for SF's regular hilts as well, the amount of work that goes into each hilt and ASP piece is excellent and a cut above some other places, all for a good price.

100% accurate, with the success of our Kickstarter I was expecting ASP sales to meet or exceed regular saber orders but that has not been the case at all, once the hype died down ASP ended up being a pretty tiny fraction of our overall sales, as a result its getting a pretty tiny fraction of our R&D and production budget. People want pre built sabers, at least thats what the data suggests. I'm as heartbroken about this as you guys, obviously I started this company because I wanted to make my very own sabers and I expected more people to share my DIY spirit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roger Redux, Darth Squidious, Rapine

Want to Ask Phil a Saber Forge Question? 1 day 1 hour ago #77228

• Valaris
  • Thank you received: 7
SFGrandMaster-Phil wrote:
Shoto will be limited to apprentice, although an apprentice version of the katano is definitely possible. Were looking at machining processes to fake shrouds so we can do lower cost one piece designs that look like they are multi part assemblies. We are looking at doing that with the silver knight, which with the Rebel is one of our more requested discontinued designs.

So it would look the same but just be one piece instead? That sounds amazing for the silver knight.
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Member Introduction T... (2461 Posts)
    • Welcome Vivectius, and Isola815. Seems like all of new members know each from other forums lately....
    • New Member Introduction T... (2461 Posts)
    • D7! Good to see you girl! didn't realize you skulked around here too, though I should have known....
    • Charger Question (4 Posts)
    • I assembling it myself. The kill key works, just not the charger part. It's a pnp kit. I checked...
    • Custom Installers & S... (16 Posts)
    • I think this is a brilliant thread. It puts members in touch with each other, and lets us know not...
    • Custom Installers & S... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Better? B) Quote: That is a gorgeous saber. Can you imagine having a shoto done with the same finish?...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5399
  • Latest Member: TridentPT
  • Total Posts: 57k
  • Total Topics: 4765
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 120
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 5
  • Yesterday Answer: 41