• Page:

TOPIC: NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83961

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1559
!!NEW SABER ALERT!!

The new Youngling saber. Perfect for the youngling in your life

59.99 includes sound and in hilt recharge.

This is not a SaberForge brand saber and does not include SaberForge electronics or warranty.

Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, scifidude79, Rhyno

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83964

• Kirabi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 36
Interesting that SF is carrying this hilt. Is it a business collab with the original seller? Are we allowed to talk about that?

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83965

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 678
Interesting Saberforge is carrying this.
"I am the Senate"

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83966

• ZrenTobas87
  • Thank you received: 3
Just saw this myself and got very interested :P I have medium sized hands so should fit me perfectly anyway. I want to give one a try but not order out of country so, plus the light blue :P I might do silver hilt red blade though. Definitely interested in one for sure though
Count red, Descendant MB, Epoch cyan, Adept green, Reborn DR, Archon BO, Exhalted DB, Justicar MB, Bane MKII red, Princess DB, Ares AB

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83967

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 469
Kirabi wrote:
Interesting that SF is carrying this hilt. Is it a business collab with the original seller? Are we allowed to talk about that?

Not sure... but... who you think is the original seller likely is not who the actual manufacturer is (a common misconception I've seen on the FB groups). These are an OEM product that the factory sells to several distributors across the globe.

SF is the first US distributor to not carry these with an obscene markup, which is nice.

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83968

• Kirabi
  • Premium Member
KelbornX wrote:
...who you think is the original seller likely is not who the actual manufacturer is (a common misconception I've seen on the FB groups). These are an OEM product that the factory sells to several distributors across the globe.

Not surprised by this tbh, and I had a feeling that was the case. I just hadn't looked around enough to find the OEM. For what it is though, and the price it's at, it can't be beat.

$60 for a hilt w/ light? Sign me up (Ok, not really, my budget is more than that, plus I'm building my own anywho.) But for a the exact audience it's meant for it's great.

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83969

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 247
Hm, very interesting. The original seller is in China, so the shipping should be cheaper from SF.

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83970

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Wattage is not necessarily an indicator or brightness but at 5W compared with 12W+ sounds like a long way off. The price is hard to beat, I mean two Saberforge Day Blades cost more than the Youngling. Or a Graflex ASP switch box costs the same :ohmy:
"I am the Senate"

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83982

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
Warning that it's equipped with a thinwall 7/8" blade. SF isn't likely to start stocking extra blades for it, and while you'd be fine Youngling vs. Youngling, you'd never want to wack a thinwall against a thick wall like the standard SF Infinity.

It's also super slim. I often see it listed as 1" OD, but I'm pretty sure that's measured at the recesses. Looks more like 1 1/8" OD. Still way slimmer than any Apprentice hilt.

All in all, a good deal for the $80 shipped (okay, more for international) it'll run you, as long as you're fully aware what you're getting.

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83989

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1827
Kouri wrote:
SF isn't likely to start stocking extra blades for it,
Would be handy if SF started offering 7/8's amongst their blade range however since all of their blade sockets = 1", the likelihood is pretty low. Still... would be a nice alternative for aesthetics pairing said 7/8 with a 1" adapter?? :woohoo: :whistle:

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #83996

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1014
Brax wrote:
This is not a SaberForge brand saber and does not include SaberForge electronics or warranty.

Just wondering what sort of cover you'd actually get if you purchased one, would SF assist customers to contact and deal with the original manufacturer if anything untoward should happen :unsure:
EDIT: Just seen Rhyno's latest post with text taken from SF's site stating a 90 day guarantee.

Also I have seen reviews of "similar" hilts including the "Big Little One" and the reviewers have said you only get around 1 hour use before having to recharge the battery. The battery has a 1000mah capacity and you can't use a regular wall charger you need to trickle charge it from a computer's USB or you'll fry the internals. (This info gleaned from a reliable UK distributor of a similar model)

I might be wrong and as KelbornX mentions the "Youngling" may be assembled/offered by yet another different manufacturer with different specs. This was just the info I found while considering getting one of the "Big Little One" hilts myself a few months back.

For Tyeth
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by For Tyeth. Reason: Added shout out to Rhyno's post

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #84008

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 766
For Tyeth wrote:
Also I have seen reviews of "similar" hilts including the "Big Little One" and the reviewers have said you only get around 1 hour use before having to recharge the battery. The battery has a 1000mah capacity and you can't use a regular wall charger you need to trickle charge it from a computer's USB or you'll fry the internals. (This info gleaned from a reliable UK distributor of a similar model)

Yeah, last time I bought a couple of sabers from this manufacturer, they came with just the USB cable, no actual charger.

If the 1000mAh rating is accurate, you're fine with a computer's USB 2.0 port since it's only putting out 450-500mA. Older phone chargers have the same rating and should be fine.

I'd say 1000mA (1A) is the highest rated charger you'd want to use, so don't go sticking this on a tablet charger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #84010

• Kirabi
  • Premium Member
I guess I just don't understand why Saber Forge decided to carry this cheap OEM Chinese saber. Surely they have the resources and finances to develop their own incredibly simplistic sound board. They already have the line of Shoto sabers they can use as a base for a 'child size saber.'

Being the arguably the largest and most visible company one would find when searching for this type of product it seems as if they've simply gone this route to try and oust competitors who have carried this saber for much longer by lowering the price in comparison to those competitors.

From the beginning Saber Forge has prided itself on being an American company, but now they've brought in two imported items and one one they've simply slapped their logo on. I just don't see the need for Saber Forge to go this route as large as they are already. I understand that a majority of people who'd buy this are one time buyers who don't know, or haven't looked for other companies and that saddens me, but that's not me anymore. I know better.

I only bring this up because I want to see Saber Forge improve and this seems opposite to that.

/rant

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #84011

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 247
Maybe SaberForge just wanted something that's ready to ship. Everyone who has ordered from SF knows you order and wait. Not as long as some companies, but usually at least a couple weeks, (Initiate tier) sometimes a few months. This is something they have to do nothing with but ship it out. They don't have to build it and really don't even have to do quality control on it, as that should have been done by the manufacturer. It makes sense from a business standpoint to have at least some RTS stock.

I plan to order one on my next paycheck. For $80 shipped, what have I got to lose? I was going to order one anyway, but the shipping from China is literally double what SF is charging. I put one in the cart last night and took it far enough into checkout to see the shipping charges. $20 to ship it from SF. I can handle that.

This is obviously not a choice that will be to everyone's liking. That's why they have such a diverse catalog to choose from, and the ability to make your own from parts. You can literally have it any way you want with SF, including now an inexpensive prebuilt option.
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by scifidude79.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Biscosity

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #84013

• Sharangir
  • Thank you received: 7
Just imagine, you don't reach the 500 bucks necessary to get a free mistery saber by only 50 bucks.

Now, you could add a stand, an ASP part, a second LED with a different plug, OR a youngling saber with light and sound.

:D

I guess, a few of these for some fun duels with the girls would certainly be loads of fun.

The plastic toys I had as a child were around 40-50 bucks too..

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #84015

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Kirabi wrote:

From the beginning Saber Forge has prided itself on being an American company, but now they've brought in two imported items and one one they've simply slapped their logo on. I just don't see the need for Saber Forge to go this route as large as they are already. I understand that a majority of people who'd buy this are one time buyers who don't know, or haven't looked for other companies and that saddens me, but that's not me anymore. I know better.

I only bring this up because I want to see Saber Forge improve and this seems opposite to that.

/rant

The Youngling description at the main site clearly states that it is not a SF product nor will it be honored by the standard SF warranty. I don't think this is quality gone wrong issue at all. Several other companies have also done the same and offered the same saber for more than $59. SF is keeping the price low, that's a good thing for those buying it. I can't see how it would also affect the lead times of SF sabers because it comes out of China all ready made, just like it is advertised similarly with the other companies selling it.

There are haters out there ridiculing it just because Saberforge is offering it. But the same people are not criticizing the other companies offering the same hilt at a higher price. They pick and choose who to criticize....
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Execute66.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scifidude79, Rhyno

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 1 week ago #84016

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Now this is a very clear and honest advertisement. You don't read the same from other companies offering it. Buy it if you want, you have been advised (font coloring are mine). :P

"These are intended as starter sabers for younglings, they are not on par with SaberForge brand sabers in terms of quality, durability, or brightness."
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Execute66.

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 6 days ago #84020

• Kirabi
  • Premium Member
I guess after watching a video on the subject of these sabers as well as reflecting on my own views on it, I just dislike the idea of this product being carried by Saber Forge. I have zero problems with the transparency that Saber Forge is showing regarding these or with the product itself. I'm fully aware I'm not the target audience.

My issue is that I just didn't think they needed to. I would've thought that they're a large enough company that doesn't need to outsource for this type of saber. I had hoped that if they wanted to enter this market the could have developed one in house. Why sell something that you KNOW isn't on par with the rest of your products? Profit, and that makes me sad.

I could get into the nitty gitty that was brought up in the video I watched but I won't. I'm in the minority of thinking this is a poor move and that's ok, this is just my opinion. I'll still visit the store in person once I ETS out of the Army and move up to my wife in southern Washington.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Ven_Zallow

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 6 days ago #84021

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
^ I see what you mean. You asked a good question about why. I recall when BMW (the German car maker) announced they are producing front wheel drive cars for entry level models, fans denounced the decision as parting from tradition (rear wheel drive) and was a sellout to lower end mass production to compete with the price points of Japanese cars. Today every man and his dog are making sabers, doing installs, etching hilts, making parts, sourcing from China etc. Competition is good as long as brand dilution is not at stake.
"I am the Senate"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kirabi

NEW SABER ALERT!! The Youngling 1 month 6 days ago #84029

• Escher26
  • Thank you received: 11
I bought four of these little guys when I was in town last month. So far no one has had any complaints. My niece and nephew (both 9) get good mileage out of them. I was actually glad to see SF have these in the store because it allowed me to give them both (and my older niece, and a friend) a 'fully functioning' saber for WAY less than a full on one.

-Esch
There are many paths to becoming a Jedi, none of them are easy.

-Robert Escher
The following user(s) said Thank You: Snajeelay, Biscosity
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Annoying startup??? (23 Posts)
    • I would also rather not have them at all personally, but to each their own. I wonder if they could...
    • Annoying startup??? (23 Posts)
    • To be honest, I rarely use the blaster, lockup and force push sounds and i'd just leave them as is.
    • Solo? (25 Posts)
    • Very excited about this movie, as I've said before; mostly cause I'm curious to see how the movie...
    • Another Star Wars Trilogy... (29 Posts)
    • Quote: Funny, how perception differs. I found CA: civil war to be a total waste of time, as was Avengers...
    • Newly Arrived Adept (7 Posts)
    • Need to catch up on my Rebels (only in season 2 now :blush: :oops: ) but I definitely like the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6569
  • Latest Member: Sinternum
  • Total Posts: 65.4k
  • Total Topics: 5536
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 139
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 22
  • Yesterday Answer: 32