Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Some info others might find useful

Some info others might find useful 2 weeks 1 day ago #57903

• SilverlightPony
  • Thank you received: 20
(Mods, if you think this would be better in Electronics DIY or something, feel free to move it)

So, I got my ASP order today. $2,500, 10 sabers--5 with sound, 5 light only.

A couple of things I noticed while putting them together and installing the electronics:

First, the 18650 battery trays SF is using are clearly not intended for use with batteries that have both the button-top and the protection circuit. My friend Jon took the PCB off of one of the SF batteries, and it fit far better. [EDIT] The point here is the length, not that removing the PCB is necessarily wise.

Also, these trays (at least when they haven't been bent out by squeezing one of the SF batteries into them) work just fine with flat-top 18650s--when we were having trouble getting an SF battery into one of the trays, we tried one of the flat-tops we use for our vapes, and it worked perfectly.

Thirdly (and perhaps most importantly) at least a few of the Warrior-tier electronics kits I received had their battery trays wired backwards. At first we followed the + and - markings inside the tray, and we thought we may have gotten some bad LEDs or switches, until Jon thought to try flipping the battery around and, lo and behold, all the LEDs and switches worked! So a note to ASP and SF Shop Warrior-tier customers with 12W+ LEDs: If you hook it all up and don't get any light, try flipping the battery around.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 16 hours ago by SilverlightPony.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Some info others might find useful 2 weeks 23 hours ago #57910

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 290
First, the 18650 battery trays SF is using are clearly not intended for use with batteries that have both the button-top and the protection circuit. My friend Jon took the PCB off of one of the SF batteries, and it fit far better.
Yikes, while this may help the batteries fit in the tray it is ill advisable to take off the PCB. Proceed with caution if ya'all decide to take off the PCB, understand you run the risk of fire, explosions, etc.

Some info others might find useful 2 weeks 17 hours ago #57944

• SilverlightPony
h2soy wrote:
First, the 18650 battery trays SF is using are clearly not intended for use with batteries that have both the button-top and the protection circuit. My friend Jon took the PCB off of one of the SF batteries, and it fit far better.
Yikes, while this may help the batteries fit in the tray it is ill advisable to take off the PCB. Proceed with caution if ya'all decide to take off the PCB, understand you run the risk of fire, explosions, etc.
We're quite aware of the pros and cons of removing the PCB. Besides, part of the point was that if removing the PCB and leaving the button top made it fit better, then a protected flat-top battery should also fit better than SF's batteries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Some info others might find useful 2 weeks 17 hours ago #57945

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 295
Trustfire protected 18650s should fit fine in the holder while providing enough current for even a 12W+, at the expense of some runtime.

Some info others might find useful 2 weeks 16 hours ago #57950

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 290
We're quite aware of the pros and cons of removing the PCB.
I'm sure you are. However, there are plenty of people out there who don't have your level of expertise who may read this thread and go ahead and remove the PCB because they didn't receive the appropriate warning that it's a bad idea.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 16 hours ago by h2soy.

Some info others might find useful 2 weeks 16 hours ago #57953

• SilverlightPony
h2soy wrote:
We're quite aware of the pros and cons of removing the PCB.
I'm sure you are. However, there are plenty of people out there who don't have your level of expertise who may read this thread and go ahead and remove the PCB because they didn't receive the appropriate warning that it's a bad idea.
Fair 'nuff. Edited original post to clarify.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 16 hours ago by SilverlightPony.

Some info others might find useful 2 weeks 14 hours ago #57980

• Seraphyn303
  • Thank you received: 28
Whats the mah of the saberforge provided batteries? I was thinking of getting a couple of spares and I might try grabbing a flat top.

Some info others might find useful 2 weeks 14 hours ago #57983

• SilverlightPony
Seraphyn303 wrote:
Whats the mah of the saberforge provided batteries? I was thinking of getting a couple of spares and I might try grabbing a flat top.
3400mAh
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Exhalted Hero Tier Spark ... (8 Posts)
    • Fantastic review, very well thought out and written. I also would have liked to have the Redeemer...
    • Exhalted Hero Tier Spark ... (8 Posts)
    • Such a Glorious Day! and exponentially more so for you by taking delivery of a Great Hero of such...
    • Wait Begins! 3.0 (1816 Posts)
    • My saber is in transit! Expected delivery is Monday. (Will make for the best Monday on record for...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4266
  • Latest Member: Master Zardin
  • Total Posts: 43.7k
  • Total Topics: 3171
  • Total Sections: 20
  • Total Categories: 102
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 8
  • Today Answer: 38
  • Yesterday Answer: 82