Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: LED Retention thin neck

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 3 months ago #64235

• Darth Khlōros
  • Thank you received: 27
Is there a way to hold the LED in place? there is no screw for retention on a redeemer emitter (ASP) that I can see other than blade retention. FYI I am doing a stunt only setup, NO sound.
I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Darth Khlōros. Reason: add text
The administrator has disabled public write access.

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 3 months ago #64248

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
As I am aware, there are two ways.

1) You get an ASP LED from Saberforge where you specify that the top be threaded. Then the LED screws onto the bottom of the neck inside the grenade section.

2) You get a Snap Ring / C-Ring / C-Clip that you can push up against the bottom of the LED to hold it in place. You may need snap ring pliers (I recommend it if you do this). Make sure both the ring and pliers are internal and not external, which relates to the position of the holes and how the pliers work.

Here is what one looks like:

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by HotRod.

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 3 months ago #64252

• Gnost-Dural
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 48
You'll need an additional part to "complete" your emitter, called an Adapter. From the shopsaberparts website:

"A thin neck adapter is required for thin neck emitters, it contains the LED and it mates a thin neck emitter to a switch section"

I believe the thin neck, which holds the blade, screws into the adapter, which holds the led.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Gnost-Dural.
The following user(s) said Thank You: invasion11

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 3 months ago #64338

• Darth Khlōros
  • Thank you received: 27
Thanks for all that
I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him.

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 3 months ago #64799

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 637
HotRod wrote:

1) You get an ASP LED from Saberforge where you specify that the top be threaded. Then the LED screws onto the bottom of the neck inside the grenade section.

I'm not understanding this properly. ASP think neck adapters have two female threads. One of the female threads is for the thin neck emitter itself, and the other is for the LED and Switch Section. If I am understanding this correctly, then the special threaded LED is screwed inside the adapter-grenade section, but it must be screwed in deep enough such that the Switch Section also screws into the same thread. But how can this be done? Does it mean we may need to use a suitable plier to screw the LED into the adapter before we can screw in the Switch Section?

I have no idea how wide the adapter's inside is. If the inside diameter is wide enough, then how would the threaded LED be screwed in anyway? Wouldn't it fall loose? This makes me to guess that the second solution you wrote might be the better one; just use a C-Ring clip to "lock" in the normal non-threaded LED inside the adapter and then the Switch Section screws in as per normal.

Am I talking nonsense? :lol:
"I am the Senate"
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Execute66.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Unleashediv

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 2 months ago #64838

• invasion11
  • Thank you received: 2
Gnost-Dural wrote:
You'll need an additional part to "complete" your emitter, called an Adapter. From the shopsaberparts website:

"A thin neck adapter is required for thin neck emitters, it contains the LED and it mates a thin neck emitter to a switch section"

I believe the thin neck, which holds the blade, screws into the adapter, which holds the led.

just got an email from india of saber forge customer service.

Hello, all of our plug and play ASP LED units have threading that will work with the thin neck emitters.

May the Forge be with you!
India

now my question is, does the adapter have a LED retention screw?
Obi-Wan: [returning Anakin's lightsaber] This weapon is your life.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by invasion11.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darth Khlōros

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 2 months ago #64851

• SnowDog
  • Thank you received: 25
Here is a picture of a thin neck emitter from the website:
As you can see, there are 2 sets of threads on the bottom of the emitter: a smaller diameter set at the very bottom plus a larger diameter set above it. I believe the larger diameter set of threads connects to the adapter, leaving the smaller diameter set of threads exposed inside of the adapter. The LED unit can then be inserted into the adapter and threaded onto the smaller set of threads.

I don't actual have a thin neck, but from the picture and other posts I've seen, this seems to be how it works.
The following user(s) said Thank You: invasion11

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 2 months ago #64852

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
Can confirm what SnowDog said. On mine, the emitter needed to be screwed onto the adapter, and then the LED module could be screwed onto the underside of the emitter; have the module already attached, the base was too wide to go into the adapter.

Edit: and to add on to that a direct answer to your question, Invasion11, no, there is no LED retention screw.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Borommakot.

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 2 months ago #64857

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Borommakot wrote:
Can confirm what SnowDog said. On mine, the emitter needed to be screwed onto the adapter, and then the LED module could be screwed onto the underside of the emitter; have the module already attached, the base was too wide to go into the adapter.

Edit: and to add on to that a direct answer to your question, Invasion11, no, there is no LED retention screw.

Did you make a note in the comments box that you needed this particular LED module to be threaded?
"I am the Senate"

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 2 months ago #64864

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
No, this is an LED I purchased from h2soy, presumably from one of his ASP preorders. The ASP LEDs sold on the ASP site automatically come threaded, but I don't know if they're available through the main site using order notes.

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 2 months ago #64868

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
Boro, you're right. I had a closer look at my ASP Plug & Play LED module. They already come threaded at the internal tip of the module, adjacent to the LED cover glass. This means we can simply insert the LED module into the Adapter from the bottom, and then screw it to the very bottom thread of the emitter. I think that's what you did confirm above. :)
"I am the Senate"

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 2 months ago #64895

• invasion11
  • Thank you received: 2
regardless i think you need to glue the emitter to the thin neck adapter. theirs no way to avoid that. not that i know of, with that being said, i dont know if you be able to switch LED's.

EDIT: with 2 sets of threading on the thin neck emitter, you can detach the LED from the bottom without unscrewing the thin neck emitter. whoever thought of this operation is genius! :blink:
Obi-Wan: [returning Anakin's lightsaber] This weapon is your life.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by invasion11.

LED Retention thin neck 1 year 2 months ago #64932

• HotRod
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 343
Execute66 wrote:
HotRod wrote:

I'm not understanding this properly. ASP think neck adapters have two female threads. One of the female threads is for the thin neck emitter itself, and the other is for the LED and Switch Section. If I am understanding this correctly, then the special threaded LED is screwed inside the adapter-grenade section, but it must be screwed in deep enough such that the Switch Section also screws into the same thread. But how can this be done? Does it mean we may need to use a suitable plier to screw the LED into the adapter before we can screw in the Switch Section?

I have no idea how wide the adapter's inside is. If the inside diameter is wide enough, then how would the threaded LED be screwed in anyway? Wouldn't it fall loose? This makes me to guess that the second solution you wrote might be the better one; just use a C-Ring clip to "lock" in the normal non-threaded LED inside the adapter and then the Switch Section screws in as per normal.

Am I talking nonsense? :lol:

Sounds like a change has been made since the last time I ordered a heat sink regarding the threads at the top. Sorry about that. :-)

I have a bunch of non-threaded black LED heat sinks, but it looks like they are all coming threaded now, which is great! Also, replace the word "grenade section" with "adapter". I ordered from the ASP site while it was still in the Indegogo phase before they went to the "adapter" terminology on the ASP site and my adapter / grenade section came together when I ordered just a thin-neck emitter.

None-the-less, I believe the assembly is still the same...the LED slides up into the adapter and does not attach to the adapter. You can use a snap ring if you choose, but it's not necessary. You then screw the thin-neck / emitter into the adapter / grenade section and the neck, as SnowDog points out, is threaded for both the adapter and LED.

My silver LED Heat Sinks have a slot for a screwdriver so you can tighten them down from within the adapter. I am not sure if they all have that. I wish I could show pictures, but I would have to take one of my saber apart. :-)

- RGBA+ Monarch, FW Epoch, Juggernaut, Exhalted
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, invasion11
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (8 Posts)
    • hard to say if it’s Old Republic era... considering they wholesale wipes it all, claiming it’s...
    • Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • Your poll seems to be broken. It's just showing me results. As for the black and chrome Bane, I'd...
    • Episode IX may indeed end the Skywalker saga. Because, remember, Kylo Ren is a Skywalker. He's...
    • Chrome Bane Mk2 (2 Posts)
    • So Brax just leaked a sneak peak at his new amazing chromed Bane Mk2, inscribed with the sith creed:...
    • Quote: It's gotta be Old Republic for Sith and Jedi mass combat. The Skywalker saga is worn out. Maybe even...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5950
  • Latest Member: Jessedaync
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5120
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 10
  • Yesterday Answer: 24