Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 4 weeks ago #69315

• Ricardus
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm curious what the finish of the silver areas are on the components labeled DUAL TONE? For example I want to build a Graflex saber, and I prefer the look of brushed over matte, but what finish is the silver on the dual tone Graflex body and the dual tone Graflex emitter?

I'm also curious about the silver tone finish on the dual tone Jade Emitter, and on the dual tone Body 10.

Does anyone know?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 4 weeks ago #69316

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 511
On duel tone parts, the silver parts will have the brushed finish, since the parts start as all black then are sanded down.

Body 10 is an exception, since it is actually 2 parts; the black inner knurled grip and the outer sleeve, which will be the matte.

EDIT: On further inspection, the ASP Jade Fire emitter might fall into that category are well, though the main site version of the saber is brushed.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
Last Edit: 11 months 4 weeks ago by Jaden Korr.

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 4 weeks ago #69321

• Ricardus
In an ideal world I don't want to mix brushed and matte, but it looks like I might have to, depending on what I am building...

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 4 weeks ago #69324

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 693
I'd recommend picking up a black Body 10 and sanding down the sleeve. I personally like that extra bit of black in the sleeve recesses.

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 4 weeks ago #69329

• Ricardus
Kouri wrote:
I'd recommend picking up a black Body 10 and sanding down the sleeve. I personally like that extra bit of black in the sleeve recesses.

That is a nice look but I figured I would do my own weathering to give it the "stored in Ben's cabinet for 30 years" look. :-)

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 4 weeks ago #69332

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 693
In that case, I'd still recommend black and just sanding off the excess. Makes for a nice lightly-worn look if you don't go all the way down to brushed-smooth.

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 3 weeks ago #69361

• Ricardus
Jaden Korr wrote:
On duel tone parts, the silver parts will have the brushed finish, since the parts start as all black then are sanded down.

Body 10 is an exception, since it is actually 2 parts; the black inner knurled grip and the outer sleeve, which will be the matte.

EDIT: On further inspection, the ASP Jade Fire emitter might fall into that category are well, though the main site version of the saber is brushed.

But on the Graflex handle, the T-Grips are separate parts that are screwed on. So are we still sure the silver part is brushed?

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 3 weeks ago #69382

• Lumen_Cordis
  • "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
  • Thank you received: 7
Like you said, the grips are screwed onto the main handle (silver part). It looks in the pictures like the silver part is brushed, and I would bet that it is (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). They most likely finish the silver part mechanically, giving it the brushed appearance, and then screw on the grips. Unless a "silver" finish is requested, Saberforge doesn't have any reason to go back and make the silver part matte.
If you're wanting to start black and sand down for a finish, that should be easy enough once you unscrew the grips.
Please note: I don't have this handle, I'm simply inferring from the picture on shopsaberparts.
"Life is about trying things to see if they work."
-Ray Bradbury

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 3 weeks ago #69389

• Ricardus
When I order my parts I kinda want my silver areas to match. That's the reason I'm so interested in this. Maybe not everyone is as particular as me about this sort of stuff...

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 3 weeks ago #69423

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
oh, most of us are very particular on this kind of stuff :)

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 2 weeks ago #69560

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 109
Don't know if this is the correct topic for it, but here goes ;)

I've been waiting anxiously for Thin Neck Adapter 02 to come back in stock for my ASP design (see image)

Today I finally saw that it is back, with (to me) a big footnote added;
They only have the silver finish available - black, dual tone and weathered are still sold out.

My question is how the finishes work and what for instance the basic look is of an indivual part; I figure weathering is removable, but do the parts start out black or silver or dual-tone?
I'm afraid that if I get the silver finish, it won't fit with the dual/tri tone design of the rest of the saber.

On that note does anyone know if the Thin Neck Adapter 02 is soon coming back in stock for all different finishes?
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 2 weeks ago #69565

• Burns3558
  • Elite Member
  • The force is strong in my family...
  • Thank you received: 57
CrimsonJax88 wrote:

I've been waiting anxiously for Thin Neck Adapter 02 to come back in stock for my ASP design (see image)

They only have the silver finish available - black, dual tone and weathered are still sold out.

My question is how the finishes work and what for instance the basic look is of an indivual part; I figure weathering is removable, but do the parts start out black or silver or dual-tone?
I'm afraid that if I get the silver finish, it won't fit with the dual/tri tone design of the rest of the saber.

On that note does anyone know if the Thin Neck Adapter 02 is soon coming back in stock for all different finishes?

The parts come out of a mold and have a silver textured finish. If the part stays silver then it is anodized clear.
If the part is dual tone then it is anodized black first then "machined" -sanded down on a lathe to have a smoother brushed finish and the recessed areas stay black.
If the part is black or weathered they dip the molded part in black anodize. If it's black then obviously it stays that way. If it's weathered it is sanded down on a lathe to create the weathered appearance.

Silver parts and dual tone will look different because of the molded texture that is taken off the dual tone parts by sanding.

The anodizing may be sprayed not dipped, I forget.
Last Edit: 11 months 2 weeks ago by Burns3558.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CrimsonJax88

Silver finish on parts that are DUAL TONE 11 months 2 weeks ago #69590

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 109
Burns3558 wrote:
CrimsonJax88 wrote:

The parts come out of a mold and have a silver textured finish. If the part stays silver then it is anodized clear.
If the part is dual tone then it is anodized black first then "machined" -sanded down on a lathe to have a smoother brushed finish and the recessed areas stay black.
If the part is black or weathered they dip the molded part in black anodize. If it's black then obviously it stays that way. If it's weathered it is sanded down on a lathe to create the weathered appearance.

Silver parts and dual tone will look different because of the molded texture that is taken off the dual tone parts by sanding.

The anodizing may be sprayed not dipped, I forget.

Thanks, just send a mail to SF CS and got back info that the other finishes (Black, Weathered and Dual Tone) will be back in stock 1-4 weeks from now.
So if you say it's not only the colour but also the texture of the Silver Finish being different, I'll rather wait and grab the Dual Tone once it's available.
Now here's just hoping the other parts of the design don't go out of stock by that time ;)
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Black and Chrome Bane Mk2... (7 Posts)
    • I want one. Initially, I wanted a weathered one, but not anymore. Must have a chrome one. Thanks...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (22 Posts)
    • George Lucas is an awesome visionary and he created a great franchise. The original film is pure...
    • SaberCore 3 spare parts (4 Posts)
    • From my own experience, to charge yes it seems like any usb cord will work but to use the editor...
    • New Star Wars Trilogy Com... (22 Posts)
    • Quote: Hey! Let's not forget Qui-Gon and Mace Windu. Those are a couple great characters. Actually, I...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5951
  • Latest Member: Hetsin
  • Total Posts: 61.4k
  • Total Topics: 5122
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 12
  • Yesterday Answer: 25