Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Custom costume robe/tunic makers?

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43164

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 43
Does anyone know of a good custom costume maker for star wars garb that is currently taking on custom orders? Looking to get an Obi Wan ANH (aka old ben) costume, and haven't been able to get any of the places I've found online to respond to a request for custom work. Seems like there's a billion options for a generic jedi, anakin, or prequel kenobi, but nobody has the ones I'm looking for. I already got a schnazzy screen accurate belt for this, but have struck out completely on the other soft goods.

Looking for:
Wool Robe: Brown with "pointy" hood, and custom hidden pocket for saber blade
Full length beige tunic: as screen accurate as possible
Full length beige tabbards
Beige obi

I've tried:

Twin Roses
Cloakmaker
Aethereal Designs

I emailed them all in early January, and have yet to hear back from any of them. Twin Roses and Aethereal Designs don't seem to be taking on custom work right now (per what it now says on their websites), and Cloakmaker didn't respond to an email either.

I'm colorblind, don't sew, and don't have enough spare time to learn, so making my own is pretty much out of the question. Willing to spend the $ if I can find a place willing to take on the work and put some effort in to making it look right.

Thanks in advance for any help in this regard.
The topic has been locked.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43167

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 569
Have you already gone through the ones here: https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/cosplay-gallery/143-cosplay-resources

There's another list here, though I imagine it has a lot in common: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11068.0

There's also Rubies that's pretty well known.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43170

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
I have... a lot of dead links, ones that don't do Star Wars stuff any more for legal reasons, companies I've already contacted, or ones that make products that look like cheapo halloween costumes out of synthetic materials.

The few that do seem to make good stuff seem to be booked up. I like what I've seen from twin roses the best, and found them in December when it said on their website they weren't taking any work until Jan 4th. I politely waited, and emailed them on Jan 4th... still haven't heard back. Now it says on their site that they're not taking custom work as they're too busy keeping up with demand for their standard offerings.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43174

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, the Star Wars craze is real again. I don't know of any other resources outside of the Rebel Legion forums, which are bound to be just as hit or miss. That said, the Jedi sections are the most active, so they're still more likely to have up to date resources.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43211

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1662
Salacious B
I mentioned this to 'makten' on his Avenger Review. It's on Etsy, here, might help and responses are typically pretty quick. Just depends on level of accuracy of your customising. There's quite a few others through that area too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salacious B Crumb

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43217

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 238
I was about to mention Etsy as a good place to shop for a costume. I was browsing and noticed a wide variety of Sith/Jedi costumes.
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43312

• jbeem
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 45
Thats strange Salacious, I too discovered twin roses during late December while they were closed. The thing was, I ordered a wool robe from them right around Dec 28th or so. As in bought and paid for right from their site (not a custom order request). I got an email back saying that they were closed until Jan 4th so was that ok that it wouldn't be mailed out until then? I said yes of course. On Jan 4th my robe was mailed out first thing and after seeing it ship, I emailed her asking about having a jedi outfit made. We had a few back and forth emails working out the details (sometimes it took up to 5 days to get a response back because she was slammed with work) but it eventually went through and I got a sweet grey jedi outfit from her.

That said, my outfit is so badass that my wife decided she wanted one too even though she has a rey outfit being made as we speak. I emailed twin roses again to see about having another outfit done and I haven't had any response. Its been probably a week and a half or so.

Also just now my wife looked on the Twin roses facebook and she said theres a message that says shes super busy right now but when she gets her current order batch done she will be reopening orders.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43329

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
This guy posted on Facebook yesterday in the custom saber owners group about where he got the parts of his costume.
I've had a few messages asking where my Jedi gear comes from so here is a run down:
Cloak: Mind Maps Uk, based on a design by Saints Customs Us
Tunic: Saints Customs Us
Boots: eBay, same quality and price as the ones by the Jedi robe but I think these look nicer.
Belt: Jedi robe Uk
Lightsaber: Saberforge Exile warrior tier

It's the brown outfit with the green saber on this page: https://www.instagram.com/flash_turtle_cosplay/
Last Edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Borommakot.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43335

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
Maybe it's just best to be patient and wait for Twin Roses to get back to me. I definitely like what I've seen from their work best, though there's a few other ones not too far behind on etsy.

thanks all for the suggestions, really appreciate it, and now have a couple other good resources to look into for my wife's Rey costume as Twin Roses doesn't do those.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43345

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Best of luck! From what I understand, they're pretty much top of the line, so it'll be well worth the wait.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43438

• Mihoshi
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 23
You should check out Speedy Costumes on Etsy

I got my cloak there

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpeedyCostumes

They make full costumes too.

Here is the cloak I got, this thing is amazing and really well made.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RotundChap

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43845

• Salacious B Crumb
  • Premium Member
I actually ended up finding a very nice example of this costume made custom by KhloesCustomClothing etsy shop, so I went ahead and placed an order for my own with her. So far communication has been great, she seems totally on board with my few points of emphasis for screen accuracy, and on making a custom hidden stash pocket in the robe for my saber blade. I will be sure to update as things progress, but so far so good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borommakot, DarthTtocs

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #43890

• DarthTtocs
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Khloes stuff looks great. Im looking forward to hearing and seeing how this goes!
The wounded Jedi looks up at the massive man wielding a 6' long light saber! The last words the Jedi hears is "Yes, I am Sith, and oh, so much more"

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #44132

• jbeem
  • Elite Member
Hey Salacious and anyone else interested: Andrea from Twin Roses just finally got back to me today (3/1/16). I had emailed her a few weeks back asking if she could do another outfit for me only this time make one for my wife. She told me that shes obviously been buried beneath orders and emails but she is just now getting ready to start opening custom orders up again. I guess since i'm a repeat customer she's giving me a heads up. She just needed 2 additional measurements that I forgot to give in the last email but other than that it looks like she's ready to take on my order.

So anyone wanting to get an amazing quality jedi/sith outfit for a great price, might want to shoot Twin Roses an email very soon before the order rush comes in. She gets overwhelmed FAST and has to stop accepting.

I love my outfit from Twin Roses and my wife noticed recently that they posted my specific outfit up on their facebook page to show it off. Its just a few posts down on the front page. Its the charcoal grey linen tabards/obi with the black tunic.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #44143

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Wow...I feel like those prices have gone down since last I looked. I'm tempted now. I'm about to start working on my own robe, which was about $60 for the material (but it's a linen rather than wool). I know I'll want another one down the road, so depending how this first turns out, Twin Roses is definitely on my radar.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #44188

• jbeem
  • Elite Member
Oh man now I feel really bad. I just got another email back from Twin roses (we're finalizing the details of my wife's order) and she added this line at the end:

"P.S. Don't alert the forums, I still have at least 15 emails yet to go and I've been emailing all day! :)"

Oops.

I guess I was right, she really was giving me a heads up before she reopens custom orders.

Btw borom- Twin roses prices are amazing for how high quality her stuff is. Here is a copy/paste of my prices per item from my last outfit straight from my invoice:

"inner tunic, gray crinkle cotton $50
black linen tunic $75 (no shoulder tucks)
reversible charcoal twill/textured linen tabards, solid charcoal twill obi $100"

So thats pretty damn nice for the whole deal. Those prices will vary +/- $5-10 each depending on your fabric choices. The ones I chose (mostly linen) are the highest price while getting something in kona cotton would make the tunic for example drop down to 65 or so.

While searching around for a jedi outfit I saw some rather well known sources on etsy charging damn near 370 dollars for the exact same setup I got yet with inferior fabrics (cotton/polyester blend). Alot of people seem to recommend that vendor which I don't want to knock publicly, but damn they really over inflate their prices and I don't get why people go for it.

Oh Borom you mentioned a robe, I got my 100% wool black robe from Twin Roses also. It is the robe i'm wearing in my profile pic. It was a bit pricey though at $185 bucks. For me it was absolutely worth it though. The day it arrived and I put it on in front of the mirror I lit up like a small boy staring at myself and pretending to be emperor Palpatine. I was giddy with excitement. It definitely looks and feels "exact" to the movie standards. Alot of the cheaper so called jedi robes around from costume companies etc look like garbage mainly because the hoods are way too small.

I have a crappy brown one that came with my first jedi outfit which was an obi-wan kenobi (sort of) white outfit from a chinese seller. I must say, the costume itself was pretty decent for being 59.99 and it came with literally everything you need including the pants and belt. Oh, no boots, thats all thats missing. Still, it was a good deal for a quick and dirty jedi outfit. It wouldn't pass rebel legion standards but it was for sure much better quality than the cheesy costume companies like rubies. I was impressed and I would actually recommend the seller to anyone who doesn't have the money to spend on Twin Roses level, yet doesn't want a piece of junk halloween costume style jedi outfit.

Custom costume robe/tunic makers? 1 year 7 months ago #44194

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
Well, wool is significantly more expensive than linen, so I'd expect that to be pricier. I originally looked for wool material, but couldn't find anything in the color I wanted that was even passingly affordable. But my wife tells me fabric gets cheaper during the summer. So if my linen robe turns out, I'll probably try to make a wool one myself. If not, I know who to ask XD
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• switching soundboard (2 Posts)
    • Hello KEJ I recently installed an ASP plug n play champion kit in my wife's arbiter, had to do a...
    • My Grey Jedi Cosplay (8 Posts)
    • I think my message came out wrong. I understand that grey jedi are the inbetween of the light and...
    • Darth Vader's light saber... (2 Posts)
    • Take a look on this page. MPP Mk1 and Mk2 These were a pre-oder run starting a few months ago, but...
    • Shoto saber design, ISO i... (30 Posts)
    • If its asp it should be easy to slip it over whatever you need covered, but I'm new to this. What is...
    • Darth Vader's light saber... (2 Posts)
    • So i'm doing a Darth Vader cosplay for the next comic con in my area. I was wondering if you...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5837
  • Latest Member: AmbientStudios
  • Total Posts: 60.7k
  • Total Topics: 5037
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 10
  • Yesterday Answer: 32