Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay...

Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay... 1 year 9 months ago #30234

• Darth Justicar
  • Thank you received: 1
...in miniature.

What can I say, I'm a 5'5" lady who's probably only going to look about 5'7" when it's all said and done but I decided to attempt a Kylo Ren cosplay anyway because I really like the character. :) (Yes, I know I could get platforms, higher heels than what I've got, etc., but my back will not tolerate that.)

My robes are already on order; I didn't want to go the off-the-shelf route because I felt that especially with the height deficit having a really good, proper fit was going to be important, because nothing would mess the look up worse than my surcoat or cape dragging the ground! If the robes look like they were meant for me and I feel like they were meant for me, my thought is that it'll give me that little "badass and I know it" boost that might help me make up some of the difference on attitude. ;)

I can see from the current lead times that getting a Relic, especially one at the size I'd probably need, may not happen in time for the costume's first con appearance but that is a dream to complete the look.

I am curious about your opinions on something a little different from what I'd guess most people ask you about. That has to do with the mannerisms of Kylo Ren, that might help breathe extra life into the cosplay. I would love to see if you concur with or can add to these observations since I can't afford to keep seeing the movie over and over before the con much as I'd like to do that. ;)

When he's headed somewhere, even at a walk he moves so fast he will probably plow you over if you're standing in his way. Even Vader, as direct as he was, didn't ever appear to me to be in that much of a hurry.

Even with his mask on, he's got this very dangerous sidelong glance you don't want to be on the wrong side of. It manages to be deadly yet almost a deadpan glare (under a mask!) at the same time.

The overall sense I get is that his energy is only barely restrained and almost always reflected in his movements, except for a few very specific, still scenes where he really gets to brooding. Some of this, I think, is contrived on his part, but overall there's an "electric" sense to his mannerisms that is quite opposite to Vader.

Any other key points to Ren's behavior that would remind you of the character if you saw it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay... 1 year 9 months ago #30237

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 207
This is pretty important. He is a mix of arrogance and conflicting emotions. Every part of his manner screams 'I'm better than you and if you don't agree I will slice you up and enjoy it'. Yet he's also very broken. He doesn't quite know whether he's good or evil, and that's conveyed every so often in his voice. You'll need to capture that if you want to deliver a solid Kylo Ren.

Good luck!

Emerald Knight, Chosen, Dark Paladin, Sentinel

Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay... 1 year 9 months ago #30313

• Frozen
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm also working on a Kylo Ren cosplay. Ask me if you need any help. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay... 1 year 9 months ago #30319

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 926
Hi Darth Justicar,

I see the Force powers are strong with you!
You've found this section and fooled me by your introduction (sorry I didn't catch on that you were female!)
However the advice is still the same regarding the acting, attitude etc.
I will keep an eye on this thread and offer advice where I can (I studied Theatre/Music and Performing Arts)

I feel Kylo is having a "Child-like tantrum" in that he has been slighted in the past and now has that sense of determination to make people sit up and realise his "Worth". This Vader already had, as everyone knew he was the biggest, baddest, Sith in the galaxy. As a result Vader knew what he had, and how to use it and was more comfortable within himself and projected power and importance.
This can be seen in Vader's body language, he is driven but he does things at his pace, by his design and will.(Bear in mind Vader is more machine than man by now, also affecting his movements).
Kylo hasn't got that aura yet as his journey of domination is still on-going and he is still lacking discipline and direction, lashing out like a child would. When he has his quiet moments that's him "hiding under his bed" when he feels vulnerable, asking for the direction/guidance he is lacking. He also gets knocked back slightly by the person he views as his teacher.
Kylo is driven and determined but shows urgency to get the recognition he craves. As he rushes around he leans forward a lot, rather than let his menace sink in by slowing down and implying, "Yeah I just did that and you could be next"

If you can access and use the Private Message functions, you can leave messages for me there if you would like to.

Kind regards,

For Tyeth
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by For Tyeth.

Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay... 1 year 9 months ago #30323

• Afadir
  • Elite Member
  • There can be no light, without a dark to stand beside it.
  • Thank you received: 67
Darth Justicar wrote:

I am curious about your opinions on something a little different from what I'd guess most people ask you about. That has to do with the mannerisms of Kylo Ren, that might help breathe extra life into the cosplay. I would love to see if you concur with or can add to these observations since I can't afford to keep seeing the movie over and over before the con much as I'd like to do that. ;)

When he's headed somewhere, even at a walk he moves so fast he will probably plow you over if you're standing in his way. Even Vader, as direct as he was, didn't ever appear to me to be in that much of a hurry.

Even with his mask on, he's got this very dangerous sidelong glance you don't want to be on the wrong side of. It manages to be deadly yet almost a deadpan glare (under a mask!) at the same time.

The overall sense I get is that his energy is only barely restrained and almost always reflected in his movements, except for a few very specific, still scenes where he really gets to brooding. Some of this, I think, is contrived on his part, but overall there's an "electric" sense to his mannerisms that is quite opposite to Vader.

Any other key points to Ren's behavior that would remind you of the character if you saw it?

POSSIBLE SPOILERS HEREAFTER- Ten period countdown because I have no idea how to spoiler block on here

The thing to realize about Ren is that he's trying to convince everyone (including himself) that he's something he's really not (at least not yet). His mannerisms are very conscious and intentional. He's trying to project the image of a resolute badass Sith lord, while inside he's conflicted and kind of like a scared kid trying to bluff the bullies into leaving him alone.

You're right about the fast walk. But also consider how he carries himself while walking. From what I recall: he tends to walk with his hands in fists, with very little arm swing. His shoulders are hunched slightly, but his head is up. His chest is out, and his steps are quick with a long stride, like he's in a hurry, but the situation isn't important enough to run. He also seemed to hold his arms out slightly, almost like he tried flexing his biceps in the mirror and his arms got stuck.

So, chest puffed, gorilla armed, back arched ever-so-slightly so he can keep his shoulders hunched up, but not be looking down, movements somehow both exaggerated and tightly controlled at the same time. Generally trying to make himself look bigger than he is.

Have you ever seen two douchebag dudebros at a party, posturing at each other? Like they're arguing and acting like they're going to start a fight, but you can tell neither of them actually wants to get hit, so they just make a show of getting louder and more fake-aggressive until they mutually agree to back off?

Kylo Ren walks like those guys "pick a fight".
Owned: Champion Bane 12W Bl. Org.
Champion Fury 6W Green
Warrior Chosen 12W+ Mint Green
Champion Jinsu Razor v2 (ASP build) 12W+ Red*
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Afadir.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frozen

Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay... 1 year 9 months ago #30332

• Darth Justicar
Thank you for the perspective guys, including some things I didn't pick up on and can't afford the tickets to go back and catch with repeated viewings.

It may not be ladylike but I do tend to have that fast get-out-of-my-way-or-get-run-over kind of walk under normal circumstances; I learned it keeping up with my dad and with male friends in high school. Time working in retail only intensified that, and I tend to be impatient with slow foot traffic when there is not a very good reason to be moving slow. Even in the office job I now work I have to really watch myself to make sure I don't take out the boss rounding a corner or something like that, as that tends not to be a good move for career security. ;)

I appreciate the additional details to add to that, from Afadir, and the second opinion on the character himself from Tyeth. "Hiding under his bed" seems like an apt way to put it.

For some reason I even got that vibe during the Starkiller firing sequence, like everyone else was doing all of this stuff around him and he was almost paralyzed by what he was seeing. I didn't have that sense of electricity but something closer to when Vader would start worrying about what Palpatine was going to do to his son (and whether Palpy would CATCH him worrying about it).

From a more general standpoint I suppose I will have to be mindful of eliminating "obvious female" mannerisms.

Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay... 1 year 9 months ago #30334

• Afadir
  • Elite Member
  • There can be no light, without a dark to stand beside it.
  • Thank you received: 67
Not a problem, Darth! That was by no means an exhaustive list, just what I could remember the wife and I having talked about in regards to how Kylo is obviously trying to give off an impression.

What "obvious female mannerisms" are you worried about eliminating? Not like you can stand there twirling your hair around your finger if you're in a helmet, and let's face it.. Ren's mane is luxurious enough he might just do that anyways. :p

(Also, I'm sure that when I say this in text it's gonna sound horrible, but I'm gonna share it anyways: I just mentally referred to your cosplay idea as "Gyno Ren", and now I can't stop giggling.)
Owned: Champion Bane 12W Bl. Org.
Champion Fury 6W Green
Warrior Chosen 12W+ Mint Green
Champion Jinsu Razor v2 (ASP build) 12W+ Red*

Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay... 1 year 9 months ago #30335

• Darth Justicar
Oh my that is bad. :P

Mainly making sure I don't stand the wrong way, for lack of a better description. I think I have SOME idea what to avoid (don't lean where your hips go to the side) but I am not *entirely* sure. I have not had to be strict on this with prior cosplay as while they have been male characters I have done feminized versions of their wardrobe.

Preparing for Kylo Ren cosplay... 1 year 9 months ago #30336

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 926
Hi Darth Justicar,

In my acting lessons we were taught about posture and projection of our voice. This entailed standing upright and having a good base from which to project our voice, the stance was very upright. This started with feet shoulder width apart, backside or bottom pulled in, chest out, shoulders back and head/chin up. There was one final point that was described by our tutor as "Imagine you are trying to hold a slice of lemon between the cheeks of your bottom." :sick: This provides the tight body posture like Core Muscle tension. I realise you probably won't be speaking much but the upright stance would be similar with the clenched fists to Kylo who does appear rigid/upright. Keep you shoulders square on as well.

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frozen
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Darth Vader's light saber... (2 Posts)
    • Take a look on this page. MPP Mk1 and Mk2 These were a pre-oder run starting a few months ago, but...
    • Shoto saber design, ISO i... (30 Posts)
    • If its asp it should be easy to slip it over whatever you need covered, but I'm new to this. What is...
    • Darth Vader's light saber... (2 Posts)
    • So i'm doing a Darth Vader cosplay for the next comic con in my area. I was wondering if you...
    • I had missed that, thanks. How hard would it be to get a properly sized o-ring over a sealed hilt?
    • You may have missed where I posted it earlier...O-rings can cure what ails you on the cheap.

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5837
  • Latest Member: AmbientStudios
  • Total Posts: 60.7k
  • Total Topics: 5037
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 8
  • Yesterday Answer: 32