Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Greebo's Greebles..

Greebo's Greebles.. 6 days 2 hours ago #78343

• OvrcAHst
  • War. Mostly Dark, Often Grey, Sometimes Light
  • Thank you received: 1643

Heretic | NBv4 w/ PeX | Royal Blue/Deep Red/Lime
Another Story so far…. Entry.

Credit to Stark Sabers for the Install, you know who you are ;).

Got this primarily as a shoto of sorts to the larger counterpart, Reliant as it presented a scaled down yet similar aesthetic to the TFU2 Starkiller Saber Hilt. I was also enabled by an enabler..
It’s a cute little hilt - light as it is petite. Haven’t been a huge fan* of the Apprentice Line personally as I have favoured the Elite & Crystal Sabers more for their respective sizes. Whilst I have had some Apprentices pass through my hands, their respective appeal wasn’t strong enough for me to keep them in my Collection, interest was lost and they were since moved on to their now Owners. The New Apprentices offered some additional variety but none that really wowed me enough to get them let alone want them… well except two, this – Heretic and another.

Did my bit with customising it ie. Sanded the default brushed silver aluminium (was ordered as the standard dual tone finish) and gave it a shiny polish after it had its internals loaded. Wasn’t going for a high mirror flawless finish, more to heighten IMO the dull default silver finish it comes in. Added some (okay more than some, hence the Topic Title) greeblies to promote a dual toned Brass/Silver finish that accents against the Bronze Stingray chosen wrapped grip body also.

I imagine the hilt (in handling and aesthetic) to Acolyte (wrapped Disciple) from the SF Original Apprentice Line and what makes it more appealing to me is the absence of what makes the Acolyte/Disciple what they are, the forked pork-trotter of an emitter.

Didn’t really like the stock supplied Pommel as the raised edges and opposing directional accent niche’s created a contrast against the circular appearance of the upper part of the hilt. Went in with an extra Reliant/Juggs Pommel from ASP with the intention of swapping out but its size relativity to the size of the hilt just didn’t work either. So I used and added a non-SF Pommel to make it my own. This also added some extra length too. T’was a win in my book.

I’ll refrain from going into the detail as my previous writeups specific to the measurements (if you’d like to know, feel free to raise your questions) more so since hilt length and subsequent weight will reflect different to actual due to the customised changes made. Besides, accompanying text adds little value cos it’s the pictures that verify it happened.. :dry:

Take my word for it that it’s loud, the emitter’s bright and blade illumination is full.
With the size of the hilt as it is, anything greater than a 32 inch Infinity V4 blade makes it too top heavy. The ideal pairing I find is using a 30 inch thin walled blade. Great with spins, swings and balance and general getting up to no good.

Plugged a Graflex-style brass Blade plug cos I can. :).

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, scifidude79

Greebo's Greebles.. 6 days 2 hours ago #78344

• OvrcAHst

What was a pleasant (unrelated, sort of) surprise is that my Photobucket Account is still active especially since I (like many others that also use it) started it for its free subscription for hosting images. There was (apparently) a corporate re-shuffle that saw subscriptions escalate in order for continued use and many stopped using it as a result. Don’t know how but mine still works. Anyway…

All in all, not much bad to say. Some sharp edges were present primarily around the accent switch box footprint however is a non-issue. Kinda gotten used to chamfering the edges now as it’s not my first Saber.

.. *Might be hanging onto to this one for a bit..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, scifidude79

Greebo's Greebles.. 6 days 2 hours ago #78345

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1212
This guy makes even apprentice sabers look like mini-masterpieces!

Great job! :woohoo: B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

Greebo's Greebles.. 6 days 1 hour ago #78349

• Darth Squidious
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 126
Kyberlight pommel?
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Greebo's Greebles.. 5 days 23 hours ago #78352

• CrimsonJax88
  • Elite Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 84
As you say, the Apprentice hilts don't really do it for me either; they feel too much like smaller versions of the Elite line and as such I'd prefer to have a Reliant over a Heretic for a more accentuated hilt with details.
That being said; this as always looks great, as Brax says, you manage to make even the tiniest of sabers look like a masterpiece, so props to you and whoever helped out with install/customization.
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Last Edit: 5 days 23 hours ago by CrimsonJax88.

Greebo's Greebles.. 5 days 18 hours ago #78361

• scifidude79
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 90
OK, seeing your shiny sabers is making me want to grab one of my hilts and the ample selection of high grit sandpaper (up to 3000 grit) that I have within reach. :cheer:

The Heretic is so on my list. So much so that it's quite possibly going to be my next purchase. Seeing great stuff like this makes me want it even more. This looks absolutely killer, from the shiny shiny finish (no that's not a typo) to the Reliant pommel. Plus, I like the extra detailing you did by adding some thumb screws, that looks great. :)

Greebo's Greebles.. 5 days 18 hours ago #78362

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 291
Looks great man! A little polish or a little weathering go a long way to take off that "factory machined" feel. :cheer:

I see in the pics you just have the rB, pR, and LG by themselves... have you mixed anything crazy with that combo yet? I saw on a FB post (in a terrible quality picture) that rB/LG should make a cool "ice blue" and according to Shameem pR/LG makes a nice pale viridian color.

Greebo's Greebles.. 5 days 16 hours ago #78369

• Darth Squidious
  • Elite Member
scifidude79 wrote:
OK, seeing your shiny sabers is making me want to grab one of my hilts and the ample selection of high grit sandpaper (up to 3000 grit) that I have within reach. :cheer:

The Heretic is so on my list. So much so that it's quite possibly going to be my next purchase. Seeing great stuff like this makes me want it even more. This looks absolutely killer, from the shiny shiny finish (no that's not a typo) to the Reliant pommel. Plus, I like the extra detailing you did by adding some thumb screws, that looks great. :)

Two words: buffing wheel
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Greebo's Greebles.. 5 days 16 hours ago #78370

• scifidude79
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 90
Darth Squidious wrote:

I don't have anything to attach one to. I've been thinking of picking up a Dremel at work but haven't done it yet.

Greebo's Greebles.. 5 days 15 hours ago #78371

• Darth Squidious
  • Elite Member
scifidude79 wrote:
Darth Squidious wrote:

I don't have anything to attach one to. I've been thinking of picking up a Dremel at work but haven't done it yet.

You can get a decent bench grinder at harbor freight for around 50 bucks. Being able to buff the scratches out of games and movies makes it pay for itself. I have a heavy duty one that's older than I am, I started out making knives years ago, I didn't even know sabers was a thing until a few years ago. I wouldn't discourage you from getting a dremel either, best tool ever IMO.
RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Greebo's Greebles.. 5 days 15 hours ago #78372

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 533
FAN-DAZZLE mate.You are really taking these hilts to the next level.Your blade retention looks vaguely familiar, I'm definitely a greeble junkie too

Greebo's Greebles.. 5 days 8 hours ago #78397

• OvrcAHst
Brax wrote:
This guy makes even apprentice sabers look like mini-masterpieces!
Great job! :woohoo: B)
Thank you Sir! B)

CrimsonJax88 wrote:
As you say, the Apprentice hilts don't really do it for me either; they feel too much like smaller versions of the Elite line and as such I'd prefer to have a Reliant over a Heretic for a more accentuated hilt with details.
Have a few Reliant's (& the promo-art TFU2 Saber) but this was a first for the mini-me version.
That being said; this as always looks great, as Brax says, you manage to make even the tiniest of sabers look like a masterpiece, so props to you and whoever helped out with install/customization.
Thanks mate, internals by Stark Sabers (they will reveal themselves in due course), externals by me :)

Darth Squidious wrote:
Kyberlight pommel?
Yessir ;)
Or go old school with an old tee shirt and hand polish with compound ;)

scifidude79 wrote:
:lol: Influenced and encouraged! I've never taken it up to 3000 grit personally, have always alternated between 1200 & 2000 (between wet & dry application) as the latter steps. When there's no anodising to strip I'll usually attack first using 800 grit and steel wool.
The Heretic is so on my list. So much so that it's quite possibly going to be my next purchase. Seeing great stuff like this makes me want it even more. This looks absolutely killer, from the shiny shiny finish (no that's not a typo) to the Reliant pommel.
I got an extra Reliant/Juggs Pommel but didn't use it as it bulked the base too much. The Pommel pictured and used as replied above to Squid.
Plus, I like the extra detailing you did by adding some thumb screws, that looks great. :)
Greebles. Like trail mix, it keeps you regular ;)

KelbornX wrote:
Looks great man! A little polish or a little weathering go a long way to take off that "factory machined" feel. :cheer:
Agreed!
I see in the pics you just have the rB, pR, and LG by themselves... have you mixed anything crazy with that combo yet?
On this specific Saber, No. On others the rBpR mixes a pretty awesome purple-go (have a pRGrB tri Cree on said other). L with rB & pR doesn't return a desirable result (for me) but if psychedelic is your thing, power to you :lol:
I saw on a FB post (in a terrible quality picture) that rB/LG should make a cool "ice blue" and according to Shameem pR/LG makes a nice pale viridian color.
Similar to above, am not a fan of the mixed result using those combo's because it ends up being a washed out, pastelly-sherbety concoction less appealing to the eye than an under valued/driven diode and or a low juiced battery.

scifidude79 wrote:
If you don't have a Dremel (or any other rotary multi tool) depending on your drills RPM, it's an alternative too.

=Ottomatix= wrote:
FAN-DAZZLE mate.You are really taking these hilts to the next level.Your blade retention looks vaguely familiar, I'm definitely a greeble junkie too
:lol: Greebles! Adds that Bell or whistle when said bell or whistle is needed. I've actually retained the stock setscrew blade retention (buried inside the emitters recessed accent), the thumbscrew doen't impact the blade holder in any way. Some parts from TCSS. Was disappointed to discover that they're just anodised aluminium and not actual brass.. oh well.

Greebo's Greebles.. 5 days 3 hours ago #78413

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 313
This Heretic has got big brother Reliant shaking in its boots. Great job OvrcAst! B)
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Greebo's Greebles.. 4 days 3 hours ago #78454

• OvrcAHst
Greysider wrote:
This Heretic has got big brother Reliant shaking in its boots. Great job OvrcAst! B)
Thanks Greysider and not quite shaking ;) This'll make sense once my Reliant makes its return trip home with it's upgrade is completed. :whistle:
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Forge Mystery Box S... (109 Posts)
    • Quote: Ok so this is my first post. I am new to the light saber community. So I want to say hello to...
    • 2W crackle (2 Posts)
    • Very stupid question: did you charge the batteries yet? Static/crackle in the speaker is a symptom...
    • Saber Forge Mystery Box S... (109 Posts)
    • Well, I have some good news, and some bad news... The bad news: I'm still impatient (some things...
    • Official SaberCore3 Intro... (22 Posts)
    • Can you order the new SC3 with an ASP saber? It doesn't show in the assembly options. Ryan
    • 2W crackle (2 Posts)
    • Hey everyone, New to the forum and to sabers, I've built my two first sabers. First one being a...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5526
  • Latest Member: Bdurist
  • Total Posts: 58.3k
  • Total Topics: 4853
  • Total Sections: 23
  • Total Categories: 129
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 5
  • Yesterday Answer: 41