Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Lower Quality LED from main site

Lower Quality LED from main site 8 months 3 weeks ago #74191

• DD003
  • Thank you received: 1
Just curious if anyone else has noticed the lower quality LED Saberforge is putting out. Back in December I purchased a Green 12w LED and when it arrived it was very nice and just looked like a quality part, everything was one color the shrink wrap on the resistor was perfectly sized the wires were the perfect length. since the beginning of the year I've purchased a Blue 12w, a purple 12w , and a red 12w and the quality has really dipped. Its made of three different colored materials, the wires are way too long and the shrink wrap is so long that it prevents the wires from naturally bending when putting it into your saber. Not to mention the LED heats up real quick after igniting the saber. I'm not too pleased and just wanted to know if I'm the only one noticing this.
1) ASP saber (no name) - Champion 12w+ Green
2) ASP saber (valor) - Warrior 12w+ Light Blue
3) Apprentice Disciple - Champion 12w+ Purple
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lower Quality LED from main site 8 months 3 weeks ago #74193

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • That guy.
  • Thank you received: 748
I'd imagine longer wires increase hilt compatibility.

Also, a cool heatsink is a bad heatsink. Heatsink's job is to pull heat from the source, so the faster it heats up, the better a job it's doing.

Lower Quality LED from main site 8 months 3 weeks ago #74194

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
What Kouri said.

I've had a couple "new" PNP LEDs come across my bench in the last couple of months. They are in better LED housings than the old style. The old style ones were in an all black housing that frankly, didn't do that great a job.

The XQ-E LEDs on the X4 star put out a TON of heat due to their small size. They are not as efficient as the XP-E series. So, they do get the heatsink and housing pretty warm, pretty quick. I would argue the opposite, that the newer PNP LEDs are superior to the old ones.

Lower Quality LED from main site 8 months 3 weeks ago #74196

• DD003
  • Thank you received: 1
So the fact that the LED heats up that much is actually a good thing? I thought that might cause a few issues in the saber if it heats up too much. I actually liked the black housing ones. I prefer my old green LED to any of the new ones but i guess that is just personal opinion. But at least I know the quality isn't declining. Thanks for the feed back!
1) ASP saber (no name) - Champion 12w+ Green
2) ASP saber (valor) - Warrior 12w+ Light Blue
3) Apprentice Disciple - Champion 12w+ Purple
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Adept - The little red th... (5 Posts)
    • [attachment]
    • Double Reveal MPP Coming ... (111 Posts)
    • According to my WELL placed source, 1-2 weeks.
    • Adept - The little red th... (5 Posts)
    • Quote: Who's saber is it based off of then? For some reason I'm failing to recognize it. It is Ezra...
    • I spend a lot of time on the FB feed too (obviously). But, I have always preferred the vibe at this...
    • lol, not quite what I meant :lol:. Being part of the FB lightsaber group though I tend to get all...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6242
  • Latest Member: JWSearcy88
  • Total Posts: 62.7k
  • Total Topics: 5269
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 3
  • Today Answer: 27
  • Yesterday Answer: 27