Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Difference Between Momentary/Latching Switches?

Difference Between Momentary/Latching Switches? 1 month 1 week ago #76095

• Vandomar
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys, so I'm looking to get my first ASP saber soon. I'm new to the scene and want to make sure I'm understanding everything. I recently asked about substituting a light-up switch for a regular silver one, as I think it first the type of saber I'm making better.

However, it seems you can only get a momentary silver switch with a sound build. I was hoping to get a latching, but it occurs to me that I may be mistaken in what I believe these terms mean. So, I have a few questions I hope you fine gents can answer:

1. Does one press of a momentary switch turn on the saber, or do you have to constantly hold it down for the saber to stay on?

2. Is there a way to get a latching silver switch for a sound build, assuming a momentary is undesirable?

3. Which do you prefer, momentary or latching, and why?

Thanks all. I really appreciate your time and help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Difference Between Momentary/Latching Switches? 1 month 1 week ago #76099

• Vechaljian
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 155
If your doing a sound build a momentary switch is preferred, but if doing a custom hero- Hence a spark color 2 install you can use a latching for ignition, but I prefer momentary however, you can get non lit switches, but I can't say from SF, since it seems they have went to a dual tactile switch which works but doesn't always match what your going for.

Long story short if your doing a sound install a latching can work, but it's dependent on the sound card, if your just doing a led that lights the blade a momentary would require constant pressing, lastly I personally love sound so I prefer momentary. And while I know you can get non-illuminated 12mm switches I don't know if SF offers as option, but I could help you disable the illumination circuit of the switch if you desire.

Difference Between Momentary/Latching Switches? 1 month 1 week ago #76100

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 224
1. Yes to the first part, no to the second
2. Yes, for certain boards (explained below)
3. Depends on the saber. I honestly prefer low profile tactile switches more than any type of AV switch. Excited for a few builds coming up that are going to be using just tacts.

Short version: At least one momentary switch is required for sound sabers, only stunt sabers use just a latching switch.

Basically, the momentary switch sends a control signal to the sound board that causes it to do different things based on variables in the board settings. Short press for power on, hold for menu, etc.

Different boards have different requirements though. Every board needs a momentary switch for the Aux effects (blaster deflect, blade lockup, etc) and menu options. The NEC Spark Color 2 (the soundboard in the Hero tier) can be configured to use a latching switch for the Main switch (blade on/off) but the second switch still needs to be momentary. Any board that just uses a single switch has to have a momentary though (like the Plecter Labs Pico Crumble and Nano Biscotte, or the NEC Spark 2 setup for single-button operation).

Plecter Labs Crystal Shard, Prizm, and Crystal Focus boards all support momentary or latching for the main activation switch. The Ascend saber by Genesis Custom Sabers (using the CS3.0) even comes default with a latching slide switch for activation.
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by KelbornX.

Difference Between Momentary/Latching Switches? 1 month 1 week ago #76101

• Vandomar
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the help, guys! I was just worried getting a momentary switch meant that the sound-enabled saber would only turn on as long as my finger was holding the button down. It seems like that's not the case. Thanks!
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• (12 Posts)
    • That's something they have wanted to do since the beginning, but were some development issues with...
    • (12 Posts)
    • My buddy had a great idea that would really benefit ASP. Tweak the builder so that when you design...
    • (12 Posts)
    • I think it would be great to try and promote it a bit using the fact that a youngling has to make...
    • New Member Introduction T... (2415 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: Hey there buddy! Another newbie here, stalking that guy above me, with a similar story. Hello and...
    • New Member Introduction T... (2415 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: Hey all. :) Just joined. What's new? I'm in my forties; have loved Star Wars since I was six;...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5341
  • Latest Member: DavidGox
  • Total Posts: 56.5k
  • Total Topics: 4737
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 120
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 22