Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..)

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86514

• Snajeelay
  • Elite Member
  • Embrace the shadows...
  • Thank you received: 35
Took me a good 5 months to save for my saber, and then ordered it on sale.

Custom ASP saber with Champion 2.0.

Well worth it, and cant wait to play with it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86515

• Ser Arcturis
  • Elite Member
  • Occupation? No, just visiting.
  • Thank you received: 49
Looking at your stories, I am actually in a better position than I had thought. I just need more self-control.

I make 880€ or so per month (fixed salarx for the apprenticeship) with the occasion of some extra €s when I worked nightshifts or weekends.
I have 2 possibilities now: put away money weekly, like 20-30€ like one of you guys said.
Or I put away the money for one part per month (given that I am most interested in ASP sabers)
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86516

• Lord Metallica
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12
Save it. What would you do only having an emitter and body section? Just wait till you can order the whole thing. Then you have less of a chance of losing, or messing up a part whilst showing it off to someone before you have it all put together.
Money jar for change is even a good start. I have found myself LOOKING for coins in parking lots and malls and restaurants. I’ve even found a $5 under a car. It was a Cadillac and kinda feel bad... :dry: oh well, more for me! But I still recommend putting a couple of dollars (or what ever currency you have where you live) in the jar each week and splurge when you have enough to get what you want to get.

Wow I need to get my posts shorter...
This is a problem!
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Lord Metallica.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86518

• Ser Arcturis
  • Elite Member
Yeah, I brought home a money jar shaped like a meth barrel from last years GamesCom in Cologne where I went with some friends. It has around a hundred bucks in it atm and I want to put in like, 35€ for an emitter this month, 50€ for a body next month etc :) then binge-buy when I have it all.

I'll also need to save up to pay the saberforge custom shop to machine me my custom pommel set you can combine into a coupler
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometres away using an aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86519

• Shai Kah
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 82
yeah, thats really the best way to go that I have found, is putting bit each paycheck away. currently I get 15 hours/week (thats all the school will allow me) at a pay of $7.25/hr, which isn't great, but its about $100 each week, payed bi-weekly males it $200/paycheck. $10 out of that is nothing. heck, $30 is really nothing out of that, leaves me with $170/paycheck to go towards whatever else I want or need. I'm doing $10/check, but if you want to do more, heck yeah go for it, especially with you getting more than 15 hours, and depending on where you live, a higher pay.

Putting it into perspective, I am adding $5/week so I'm getting $260/year, enough for a warrior tier of almost any elite saber. If you put $15/week then you'll be getting $780/year, enough for a Champion tier of ANY saber SF has to offer.

If I want my Bane in Black/Chrome, Champion, energy vibration, and belt clip system, ($484) by doing $15/week, I'll have it ordered in 8 months, and thats not if I did stuff over summer, which I'll be putting down more as I will be working full time! I may have the bane sooner than I thought! :lol:

Also, your school should have a list up on their website somewhere for students to see what on campus jobs there are. Check that when you start and see what jobs there are on campus before looking off campus. If there is a way to contact your school's facilities department, do so, facilities almost always could use an extra hand (that's where I am working now at my campus), and they will typically have you doing custodial work.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Shai Kah.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86520

• Snajeelay
  • Elite Member
  • Embrace the shadows...
  • Thank you received: 35
Sell your old books to younger years.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86521

• Lord Metallica
  • Premium Member
Yeah, having that jar is nice. Again, I have one too, that’s glass. So when I look at my dresser, I see it filled with cash and coins. I had to replace some of the singles for a twenty. Also, my birthday was of feb 9th, so that helped my jar get heavier! But it’s a reminder, a reminder that dreams are still possible. Because it wasn’t that long ago, I was in a little town across the country sleeping on a couch in a mobile home with $47 in my bank account.

Nah just kidding...anyone get that reference?

But seriously, it is a reminder that if you save up, you can achieve your dreams.
And I still believe that if you put it into a bank account, you have a higher chance of spending it on stuff as simple as lunch. DON’T get me wrong; lunch is still important. I’m just saying that me, personally, I think that that glass jar provides me with “a new hope” that when I am down, and feel sad and lonely (I don’t have a girlfriend) in this cold world and go to my bedroom two hours before I fall asleep because I don’t want to be by people (I’m introverted), I just look at the jar and occasionally, I will go be by my family, because I have that jar that brings me joy.

Enjoy your ASP parts and cheers on saving up for it!
(Does anyone else’s phone autocorrect “asp” to “ass” or is it just me, lol XD)

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86522

• Lord Metallica
  • Premium Member
This is what I was referencing. The reference starts at 0:38.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Lord Metallica. Reason: Wrong time

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86523

• Ser Arcturis
  • Elite Member
Lord Metallica wrote:

Enjoy your ASP parts and cheers on saving up for it!
(Does anyone else’s phone autocorrect “asp” to “ass” or is it just me, lol XD)
Nah that's just you.
I have 3 bank accounts and only use one for calculating what I can spend.
The other two are for saving and can't be accessed via Paypal or debit card.

BUT: I'll go to an ATM today after I checked what the Epoch emitter costs :) gotta start somewhere.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86530

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 303
Right, so my current paycheck is give or take $100/month, which means I'm usually pulling out a bit less than half of that just for gas money per month. I used to have a considerable amount of money socked away before Christmas last year...I even tried to be frugal and only buy what I needed to, but the buys kept adding up. Oh, well. :unsure:

@Shai Kah , that's a good plan. Like I said, I'm totally cool with custodial work since I've been doing that kind of thing for years now. That will probably be my aim to start with since I'm not enough of a people person to be a cashier or a busboy...

@Lord Metallica, this whole coin jar thing has honestly been really beneficial for me. I've always despised coin, but with an actual coin bank I can look at it and say to myself "wow, change does matter." I never use coin like I said, so being invested like it is now is actually incredibly motivating!

UPDATE: I think I want to really start my Saberforge collection with a Veteran Xiphos in Yellow, the weapon of my Jedi Sentinel in SWTOR. That's $275 not including shipping, but it is my goal to start!

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86538

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1089
Hello Master Eddlyss,

Keep strong and you will get your character saber eventually. It took me 33 years to get my first "real" saber. It will probably take me that long again to get my second!

But that's because of everyday living expenditures like buying a new cooker - my oven blew up on Christmas Eve so I had to eat a microwave meal on the 25th! That wiped out my saber funds....Oh well back to the beginning....1 cent and counting!

kind regards,

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86540

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
For Tyeth wrote:
Hello Master Eddlyss,

Keep strong and you will get your character saber eventually. It took me 33 years to get my first "real" saber. It will probably take me that long again to get my second!

But that's because of everyday living expenditures like buying a new cooker - my oven blew up on Christmas Eve so I had to eat a microwave meal on the 25th! That wiped out my saber funds....Oh well back to the beginning....1 cent and counting!

kind regards,

For Tyeth

This is true, and I do remember you telling me about your oven escapade...I do hope I won't have to wait quite that long for my first Saberforge lightsaber! :cheer:

The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86541

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1089
Hi again Master Eddlyss,

Maybe I should have saved the money instead..."Ping-Cusine" microwave meals aren't so bad...just a bit like Jedi food capsules I suppose!

For Tyeth

p.s. And I have looked at the Xiphos in a different light too since it's re-appearance, it just seems to have something about it.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86555

• Sharangir
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
And here I am, struggling not with the money, but the price tag itself...

I can easily afford a saber, but I'm hesitant as to whether I SHOULD buy one..

I spent thousands on game/movie collectibles and they all sit in a cupboard collecting dust.. nobody wants to buy them anymore (but I'll have another look, since the Alien egg might still catch some coins).

If I buy a lightsaber, I guess it would now be a Champion Unleashed (that's 500 bucks!!!), since I'm a guy who settles for just one "real" one, instead of a bunch.

The issue is, should I really spend half a grand on a toy that will collect dust 360 days of the year?

I know none who owns a saber and am not a cosplay guy (no time, no peers), so it would really just be for that "have you seen my lightsaber?" Moment with visitors..

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 1 week ago #86557

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Sharangir wrote:

I spent thousands on game/movie collectibles and they all sit in a cupboard collecting dust.. nobody wants to buy them anymore (but I'll have another look, since the Alien egg might still catch some coins).

If I buy a lightsaber, I guess it would now be a Champion Unleashed (that's 500 bucks!!!), since I'm a guy who settles for just one "real" one, instead of a bunch.

The issue is, should I really spend half a grand on a toy that will collect dust 360 days of the year?

I know none who owns a saber and am not a cosplay guy (no time, no peers), so it would really just be for that "have you seen my lightsaber?" Moment with visitors..

This is really where I see difficulty in owning these things, as well. Problem is, once you have one, you cannot just stop the craving for more! Or at least, that's what I've heard... :dry:

Frankly, I can still see you getting significant use from such a thing if you are at all athletically inclined. Even without friends to spar with, learning how to use a lightsaber would probably still be an excellent pastime for you. Become like Obi-Wan Kenobi, or our own Master For Tyeth, and take up sabering as an art form. You may be surprised.

Me personally, I am hoping to take up the idea of sabering with my post-secondary school down the line, and I would love the chance to show off with a couple stylish sabers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sharangir

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 6 days ago #86571

• Lord Metallica
  • Premium Member
Eddlyss64 wrote:
Sharangir wrote:

This is really where I see difficulty in owning these things, as well. Problem is, once you have one, you cannot just stop the craving for more! Or at least, that's what I've heard... :dry:
I don’t know if that’s the case. I have two, and I’m really trying to get rid of the second one.

For Tyeth wrote:
Hi again Master Eddlyss,

Maybe I should have saved the money instead..."Ping-Cusine" microwave meals aren't so bad...just a bit like Jedi food capsules I suppose!

For Tyeth
Who said ramen is bad as every meal, right? Haha :lol:

Eddlyss64 wrote:
@Lord Metallica, this whole coin jar thing has honestly been really beneficial for me. I've always despised coin, but with an actual coin bank I can look at it and say to myself "wow, change does matter." I never use coin like I said, so being invested like it is now is actually incredibly motivating!
Those Pennies and nickels (and dimes and quarters) really add up. Out of that $49 in my jar, at least $12 in change alone.

Ser Arcturis wrote:
gotta start somewhere.
Exactly. Well said.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 6 days ago #86575

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
I've gotta have at least forty bucks in coin in this jar. It's been a long time coming, frankly.

I guess what I'm looking to do is find some extra jobs to do over the summer in addition to my summer job, and find some way to scrounge some coin until then.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 6 days ago #86580

• Lord Metallica
  • Premium Member
Eddlyss64 wrote:
I've gotta have at least forty bucks in coin in this jar. It's been a long time coming, frankly.

I guess what I'm looking to do is find some extra jobs to do over the summer in addition to my summer job, and find some way to scrounge some coin until then.
Yeah, want to know what I’ve done the past 4 summers to make some $$$?

*looks at the ground and mumbles:* “I grew and sold corn...”

I made about $400/ summer tho, so not bad. But the going out to my uncles farm twice a week in a hot Midwest sun to stomp down pesting weeds (we grew organic corn; no pesticides, that’s bad for the earth (runoff) and for pregnant women (side effects of roundup includes *possabilities* of having a newborn with an ASD)) for about an hour at a time for about 15 weeks, occasionally in the rain had me thinking, “is this really worth it...?” But I have some buyers who buy from me every year, and get new ones recommended by the regulars, and then I have my family (both immediate, and extended). (P.S. I grow and sell my own corn, so I don’t have to pay anyone a certain amount when I sell it (except to pay for part of the seeds and fertilizer)) It’s killer bank, but I have to sit out all day so when neighbors come home from work and kids get dismissed from school with their parents, I can flag them down and produce some sales.
Luckily, the selling is only at the end, since it’s growing for most of the season.

God, I really need to get my posts shorter... *facepalm*

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 6 days ago #86581

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Lord Metallica wrote:
Eddlyss64 wrote:

Yeah, want to know what I’ve done the past 4 summers to make some $$$?

*looks at the ground and mumbles:* “I grew and sold corn...”

I made about $400/ summer tho, so not bad. But the going out to my uncles farm twice a week in a hot Midwest sun to stomp down pesting weeds (we grew organic corn; no pesticides, that’s bad for the earth (runoff) and for pregnant women (side effects of roundup includes *possabilities* of having a newborn with an ASD)) for about an hour at a time for about 15 weeks, occasionally in the rain had me thinking, “is this really worth it...?” But I have some buyers who buy from me every year, and get new ones recommended by the regulars, and then I have my family (both immediate, and extended). (P.S. I grow and sell my own corn, so I don’t have to pay anyone a certain amount when I sell it (except to pay for part of the seeds and fertilizer)) It’s killer bank, but I have to sit out all day so when neighbors come home from work and kids get dismissed from school with their parents, I can flag them down and produce some sales.
Luckily, the selling is only at the end, since it’s growing for most of the season.

God, I really need to get my posts shorter... *facepalm*

Don't worry about post length, have you seen some of mine?

That actually sounds like a pretty decent gig. I personally would want to be aiming higher than $400 a summer, but that's still good money.

I'm no salesman, but I can do caretaking all day long if I have a charged-up phone and earbuds. That's the kind of job I'm good at. I'm the kind of person who's willing to sweep the same courtyard every week as long as it keeps getting dirty.

Tips For Snagging Saber Money (Doing This Again..) 2 months 6 days ago #86585

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1773
Post length....Hold my beer! *cracks knuckles*
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Forge Forum Shuttin... (59 Posts)
    • Right, so I'm currently going through and saving every topic as a resource for my future use via the...
    • New Series Announcement!!... (7 Posts)
    • Sounds like it might be ok and I'll definitely give it a chance and a watch. The plot itself...
    • Goodbye forum! :( :( This is really bad news, now I have less to read on the internet. I'll join...
    • I have joined the Discord! Also, for reference, here's a link to my old Google Plus community if...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.3k
  • Total Topics: 5837
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 60
  • Yesterday Answer: 68