Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber)

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87184

• Victor
  • Thank you received: 7
I'm waiting for the lead time on orders to drop before ordering a saber ... so going a bit nuts looking through ASP and pre-built options. I see a few new sabers have dropped ... so the waiting is turning out to be a good thing.

The new Progeny looks fantastic (well done SaberForge!) and I'm considering ordering one for my son. (I believe this is Anakin's saber from The Clone Wars?) However, the switch alignment feels a bit off to me. Would it be possible to get this saber with the switch facing you instead of the right-hand side as it's currently placed? Is it currently placed the way it is because it would be problematic or daft to consider it how it makes sense to me?

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87189

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "There is no death, there is the Force...no one's ever really gone."
  • Thank you received: 303
Specifically, this is a Graflex-inspired design (the Anakin-Luke-Rey lightsaber) that is more dueling oriented because of the lack of a control box, like what you would see on a normal Graflex saber. Excellent choice for you budding Jedi (or Sith...don't be afraid if he says he's more inclined to a red lightsaber, let the dark side flow through him... :P )

Anyway, that's a really good point that you've made. The Graflex traditionally has the control box and thus the switch aligned with the glass eye (or lack thereof, a window instead in the Progeny's case). Here, however, the switches are at a 90 degree angle. That kind of bothers me now that you mention it...

I'm not sure that such a thing could be altered, as Apprentice hilts are usually designed as two pieces, the hilt itself and the pommel. However, this looks inspired from the ASP system, so there's a chance.

I have to ask, have you asked your son what color saber he would want to have, or is this a surprise? If it is a surprise and you're trying to emulate the Clone Wars TV show, I would probably recommend a Medium Blue or Deep Blue LED. The Deep Blue will be more akin to what you see in Episode 3.

Xiphos, Eris, Oracle Shoto
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Eddlyss64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Victor

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87190

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 543
Eddlyss64 wrote:
Anyway, that's a really good point that you've made. The Graflex traditionally has the control box and thus the switch aligned with the glass eye (or lack thereof, a window instead in the Progeny's case). Here, however, the switches are at a 90 degree angle. That kind of bothers me now that you mention it...

Assuming the "bunny ears" are 12:00, the Graflex has the clamp/switch oriented at roughly 9:00 in the ANH version (left side) and 3:00 in the ESB/TFA/TLJ versions (right side) and even on the ROTS Anakin "Skinnyflex". In no version of the Graflex saber is the control box oriented at 6:00 with the "glass eye".

Eddlyss64 wrote:
I'm not sure that such a thing could be altered, as Apprentice hilts are usually designed as two pieces, the hilt itself and the pommel. However, this looks inspired from the ASP system, so there's a chance.

Being an Apprentice hilt at an Apprentice price it is most assuredly a one-piece design. The detailing is simply milled accents, not seams for separate parts.

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87191

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
KelbornX wrote:
Assuming the "bunny ears" are 12:00, the Graflex has the clamp/switch oriented at roughly 9:00 in the ANH version (left side) and 3:00 in the ESB/TFA/TLJ versions (right side) and even on the ROTS Anakin "Skinnyflex". In no version of the Graflex saber is the control box oriented at 6:00 with the "glass eye".

Whoops, should've fact-checked better. Apologies.

All things considered, without a control box on the Progeny the 90 degree switch section still bothers me.

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87197

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1089
Hi Victor, Everybody,

Nice choice with the Progeny, it looks to be a solid saber. However I still believe it is actually based on CADE SKYWALKER's hilt from the Dark Horse Comics series.

Cade Skywalker was the last of the Skywalker line and reluctantly faced off against Darth Krayt in a final(?) battle to restore balance to the Force. And as such being the last of his bloodline he would be the Ultimate Progeny....no?

Here is a pic of his saber from Wookiepedia:

And again my version of it designed in ASP.

If the Progeny is a Cade tribute the orientation of the switches could be down to the illustrations in the comics as the images were drawn inconsistently with switches at 0, 90 or 270degs depending on the artist and the action taking place in frame.

Hope your son enjoys his saber when he gets it!

For Tyeth

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87243

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 367
Have you considered ordering one from the Etsy store? Shorter wait times. They're available in every tier on there now, even Initiate. (that wasn't an option when I ordered mine, but that's OK)

I like where they put the buttons on this one, it's a nice nod to the original appearance of the prop, even if the grips are more reminiscent of later appearances. I would assume they moved the clamp to the other side for TESB so as not to interfere with how Mark Hamill chose to grip the saber for the duels.

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87247

• Victor
Thanks for the replies and to those astute in the lore referencing the sources. Much appreciated. I'm settling into the switches being fixed and getting my head around it. I like the Graflex inspiration. Several parts I'm interested in for an ASP build are on pre-order, so I'm playing the waiting game and am keen to see the new pieces coming to ASP and whether new sabers are going to be added.

After sleeping on it I chatted to my son and showed him a few options. He leans toward the dark side at least in terms of saber choice and, oddly and surprising to me, really likes the Youngling Sabre in Violet. (I'd be proud if he turns out to be an accomplished Sith Lord.)

I'm now thinking of ordering the Progeny in Deep Blue alongside the Youngling black-violet. If I do the Quick Connect upgrade I can change out the LED later and hand the Progeny down to him as I'm sure I'll be ordering another saber (I really like the Exhalted and have an ASP concept in mind).

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87254

• Victor
Just one more question ...

Does anyone know what the Optional Belt Clip System refers to on this particular saber? I understand that to mean the Covertech Belt Clip. Would this mean the saber would be adapted to include the Covertech Wheel? Or is it just a stock coded option in the ordering process and the saber should be purchased without this included?
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Victor. Reason: Spelling & clarification :)

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87257

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 367
Victor wrote:
Just one more question ...

Does anyone know what the Optional Belt Clip System refers to on this particular saber? I understand that to mean the Covertech Belt Clip. Would this mean the saber would be adapted to include the Covertech Wheel? Or is it just a stock coded option in the ordering process and the saber should be purchased without this included?

That's the actual thing you put on your belt to hang the saber. I believe they have a new Covertec thing that includes a hook for the D-Ring. Unfortunately, they haven't updated their site, but I think you get one of those now when you select that option, as opposed to the old Covertec belt clip.

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87260

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Victor wrote:
Thanks for the replies and to those astute in the lore referencing the sources. Much appreciated. I'm settling into the switches being fixed and getting my head around it. I like the Graflex inspiration. Several parts I'm interested in for an ASP build are on pre-order, so I'm playing the waiting game and am keen to see the new pieces coming to ASP and whether new sabers are going to be added.

After sleeping on it I chatted to my son and showed him a few options. He leans toward the dark side at least in terms of saber choice and, oddly and surprising to me, really likes the Youngling Sabre in Violet. (I'd be proud if he turns out to be an accomplished Sith Lord.)

I'm now thinking of ordering the Progeny in Deep Blue alongside the Youngling black-violet. If I do the Quick Connect upgrade I can change out the LED later and hand the Progeny down to him as I'm sure I'll be ordering another saber (I really like the Exhalted and have an ASP concept in mind).

Yesss, let the hate flow through him... :evil: :lol:

Just bear in mind that the Youngling sabers are not produced by Saberforge, and they use a thinner walled blade than the V4 Infinity Edge blade used in SF's sabers. Might I recommend a saber shoto for him instead? More expensive, but he'll be able to battle you without holding back since the shoto sabers use a V4, and if he is truly a Sith Lord at heart, then he will be able to dual wield later on. Just a suggestion!

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87364

• Victor
That is definitely something to consider ... gonna sleep on it and see how I feel.

With the recent Graflex double reveal and the apprentice Progeny I'm wondering whether SaberForge is going to release a Graphlex elite blade. Seems like parts are on pre-order on ASP so not going rush a decision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eddlyss64

Progeny questions :) (new apprentice saber) 1 month 3 weeks ago #87371

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
Victor wrote:
That is definitely something to consider ... gonna sleep on it and see how I feel.

With the recent Graflex double reveal and the apprentice Progeny I'm wondering whether SaberForge is going to release a Graphlex elite blade. Seems like parts are on pre-order on ASP so not going rush a decision.

I believe there was some discussion of the very topic over on one of the reveal threads not too long ago. Phil was discussing a price bump for the Graflex/MPP since they are more difficult to make, and he was also considering Elite tier Graflex and MPP due to popular demand.

Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Saber Forge Forum Shuttin... (59 Posts)
    • Right, so I'm currently going through and saving every topic as a resource for my future use via the...
    • New Series Announcement!!... (7 Posts)
    • Sounds like it might be ok and I'll definitely give it a chance and a watch. The plot itself...
    • Goodbye forum! :( :( This is really bad news, now I have less to read on the internet. I'll join...
    • I have joined the Discord! Also, for reference, here's a link to my old Google Plus community if...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.3k
  • Total Topics: 5837
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 146
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 60
  • Yesterday Answer: 68