Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Custom Machining?

Custom Machining? 1 year 3 months ago #8837

• Boba Scott
  • Thank you received: 1
Ordering through the website, you can request custom anodizing, weathering, buttons/d-rings etc..., but has anyone ever had them alter the actual body of the hilt.

I really like the Fury, however, I'm not crazy about the spikes/fins in the emitter. I would prefer it to just be one solid piece (or ultimately more swoop shaped like the Monarch).

So I'm just curious if anyone has had them do work like this?
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Custom Machining? 1 year 3 months ago #8842

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
  • Thank you received: 122
I know they sometimes accept to swap pommels and stuff like that! Write to them and tell them what you have in mind! They'll tell you if it is doable or not!

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Keep us updated my friend :)
"Honor is a fool's price. Honor is of no use to the dead."

- Custom SaberForge Monarch
- Vader's Vault REV-N Elite + Graflex
- Korbanth Kylo Ren

Custom Machining? 1 year 3 months ago #8873

• Miraluka
  • Platinum Member
  • "Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is."
  • Thank you received: 75
I can't guarantee they will do what you ask but they CAN do custom machining and they will probably charge you for the manual labor.

So just email them with a detailed description and see what they say.

Custom Machining? 1 year 3 months ago #8967

• DarthMario95
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 200
Custom machine work is usually on a case by case basis whether they can do it or not. The more details you can provide on what you have in mind, the easier it will be for them to let you know whether it's something they can accommodate or not, and if so what the price would be.
"Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi…"

Custom Machining? 1 year 3 months ago #9012

• Boba Scott
I did contact them and I got a reply last night (emails below). Unfortunately it looks like they can't accommodate either option. :/

They didn't even give a price option. It should be super easy to at least leave the emitter without cutting that single slit which makes the points... but I guess they are likely too busy at the moment to worry about custom machining?

In any case, it looks like I'm definitely starting my collection with the Consular rather than the Fury. Both are beautiful, but I can't get over the spikes on the Fury... maybe when I do a red saber =)

My email:
"Hi,

I had a quick question regarding some custom modifications to the Fury.

I really like the hilt, however, I'm not crazy about the spikes/fins in the emitter. I would prefer it to just be (1) one solid piece or (2) more swoop shaped like the Monarch emitter. It doesn't have to be Graflex style exactly but not just a diagonal cut.

Could you let me know if either, or both of those options might be possible?

Thanks!"

Their response:
"Thank you for you question, However we cannot make the requested modifications to that hilt style.

Sorry for the inconvenience."
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man." - Jack Handey

Custom Machining? 1 year 2 months ago #9021

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
Cuts like that may be premachined before they get the pieces in hand, which may be why. Just a thought, as I'm not actually sure why :)

Custom Machining? 1 year 2 months ago #9022

• Boba Scott
It's possible, I have no idea how they handle their processing. I assumed they do this in-house, but I base that on nothing. :)

I also figured maybe if they are threaded that I could swap out with something else, but either what I'm looking for is a different size, or this is not the case.

Doesn't take away from how excited I am to get my Consular, but I really love the Fury... it's just those damned forked emitters I don't really like.

Custom Machining? 1 year 2 months ago #9024

• Knytiri
  • Banned
  • "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
  • Thank you received: 471
I say this because I know they order the pieces in runs and they're premachined elsewhere.. lowers costs for us. then when they get the pieces in they assemble, clean, finishing touches, etc.. so if that particular cut isn't part of their finishing touches, that may be why they're unable to do that.

Custom Machining? 1 year 2 months ago #9026

• DarthMario95
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 200
The Fury shroud is pre machined with the cut, and is used not only for the Fury but also for the Venomous Fury, so it's not possible to get it made without the cut without spending a lot of extra money on an entire run of shrouds without the cut, which I can understand they wouldn't want to do just for one or two customers who might like it without the cut.

As for machining a more curved shape to the shroud, while it may physically be possible for them to do so in their shop, it is entirely at their discretion based on their current work load to decide whether to accept a customer's requested custom machine job or not, and it looks like with a lead time of 12-14 weeks and Celebration looming that they decided not to take on this particular custom machine job. Doesn't mean it might not be possible in 6 months once they've opened additional machining shops or hired more crew or cut down on their lead time. Their operating procedures change based on the times and circumstances, so if you're dead set on having a more curved shroud like the Graflex style on the Monarch I see no harm in contacting them again in a few months if you haven't already placed an order for the Fury.
"Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi…"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Boba Scott

Custom Machining? 1 year 2 months ago #9030

• Boba Scott
Thanks Mario and Knytiri. That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't ordered yet... that was going to be my decision between the Fury and Consular. I may try them again in a few months (for my second saber).

...and it doesn't have to be Graflex style, I would be happy with it being the same just without the cut... but if they already come that way I get the trouble with changing it. Maybe I'll just go with an Epoch (ah there are so many choices, I may need to get a night job to support this)

Honestly, I figure that this year is probably going to be pretty tight on anything too custom with the impeding release of VII. They are likely swamped with all the hype.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Fallen SF Custom|Story so... (6 Posts)
    • Thank you Ex66, Quote: Great review and write up! What a unique saber! Was your new fallen that special...
    • Great review and write up! What a unique saber! Was your new fallen that special one-off? You have a...
    • [attachment] [attachment] vv Two Indigo's under different Lighting Conditions between a 32" and 37"...
    • [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] ...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4333
  • Latest Member: Jedi_master_515
  • Total Posts: 42.8k
  • Total Topics: 3123
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 1
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 21
  • Yesterday Answer: 87