Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: US Grab Bag

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47946

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
So while I was waiting for my first and second SF saber to come in, I took the advice of some forum members and looked at US's Grab Bag option. I figured it couldn't hurt and might settle my saber thirst for a few more weeks until my PS arrives. I ordered it on Monday and it arrived today (Friday). I opted for the consular green LED, ultra-heavy grade blade (no option for length just rolling the dice I guess) since they were all the same price and the circle blade plug.
So before shipping charges, the saber would cost $84 (not bad) after all the add on options. When it arrived, I quickly opened it up and saw that the blade was already fastened to the hilt and the batteries were ready to go (4 AAA were supplied and already placed in the hilt). I fired it up and a beautiful green illuminated the 36'' blade. The brightness definitely dims about half way down the blade but I really don't care, for a grab bag what else should I be expecting? I had to look up which hilt it was and it turns out, it's an Initiate V4 in silver. I'm over 6 weeks in with SF and for the time being, it's nice holding a lightsaber that I can hit things with and not worry about breaking the blade or disrupting the stream of LEDs inside the blade. By the way, the hilt feels sturdy, about 2 pounds. A little bit fatter than I would like but it gets the job done. It could be used for a 2 handed grip but feels just as good with 1 hand. I do like the windows at the top of the emitter. As far as design, plain but again for a grab bag I can't complain. If I wanted to wait, I would definitely get a SF apprentice saber. Here are some pics.

- Light em up

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Prowl

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47947

• OvrcAHst
  • Grey - it is OvrcAHst.
  • Thank you received: 711
Andi Jae-EL, another happy recipient of a Grab-Bag and with success towards pacifying the tests of the Wait. Congratulations on such a speedy delivery. The randomness has returned favourably. Well done. To be accurate though, isn't the reference to PS actually PS' since it's anticipation of Double Deliciousness? Also, an Avenger too right? ;)

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47949

• monkeyofshaolin
  • Thank you received: 25
Wow, Andi-Jae EL! What a beautiful saber from your Grab Bag. The green is quite nice and, from the photos, it seems it's a little brighter than my fire orange. I wonder if the colour has something to do with the brightness? And, is that a flat, silver activation switch I see? If it is, lucky! I got the standard red switch.

Congrats on the awesome new saber. Here's hoping your SF ones show up soon! :D

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47950

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
OvrcAHst wrote:
Andi Jae-EL, another happy recipient of a Grab-Bag and with success towards pacifying the tests of the Wait. Congratulations on such a speedy delivery. The randomness has returned favourably. Well done. To be accurate though, isn't the reference to PS actually PS' since it's anticipation of Double Deliciousness? Also, an Avenger too right? ;)

You have a great memory OvrcAHst! You are correct about the PS reference (or references I should say). And after reading and seeing ThreeDeeVision's Avenger, I'm looking forward to getting mine more and more. It's great to read about all the upcoming PS coming in for other forum members. Those reviews and pics will hold me over for a few more weeks until mine come in. Hopefully someone will do a video review to watch. I'm still trying to figure out if I should do individual reviews or do them both together.
- Light em up

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47952

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
monkeyofshaolin wrote:
Wow, Andi-Jae EL! What a beautiful saber from your Grab Bag. The green is quite nice and, from the photos, it seems it's a little brighter than my fire orange. I wonder if the colour has something to do with the brightness? And, is that a flat, silver activation switch I see? If it is, lucky! I got the standard red switch.

Congrats on the awesome new saber. Here's hoping your SF ones show up soon! :D

I was really lucky getting the flat silver activation switch. I was completely surprised because I kept expecting the bulky red switch in their stock photos.
- Light em up

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47954

• Darth Crain
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Wise decision my friend... I did the same thing... and grab bags are great for 3 main things....1) it comes fast 2) very affordable and 3) helps keep the sanity while you wait for your masterpiece... and as a bonus they are perfect sabers to practice dueling and spinning ....enjoy it!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andi-Jae EL

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47957

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
Darth Crain wrote:
Wise decision my friend... I did the same thing... and grab bags are great for 3 main things....1) it comes fast 2) very affordable and 3) helps keep the sanity while you wait for your masterpiece... and as a bonus they are perfect sabers to practice dueling and spinning ....enjoy it!!

I think it was after reading your thread about it that I looked into getting one. I'm so glad I did because it does help keep the sanity as you put it. So I thank you again tonight for some good advice.
- Light em up

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47961

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 23
I do believe that you have a unique saber there. US doesn't sell sabers with that switch--all US stunts have black guarded switches. Sometimes grab bags are things they're trying out, and it looks like you got one of those. (I'm jealous, too--that switch looks great.)

That's a great little hilt--I have its big brother, and I also have the v3 version. FYI, a shorter blade would help the balance a lot--I've tried a 36" blade on my Initiate and it's kind of cumbersome; it's lightning fast with my 24". (Only problem is that there's so little inertia that it can be hard to spin.) You might want to consider getting (or making) a shorter blade and using it as a shoto once you have your SF sabers.
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated will you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47968

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 236
I personally would love to see some new test designs in grab bags. I know I saw a few videos of unknown creations. Would be neat to see newer ones.
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

US Grab Bag 2 months 2 weeks ago #47983

• Darth Crain
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
Darth Crain wrote:

I think it was after reading your thread about it that I looked into getting one. I'm so glad I did because it does help keep the sanity as you put it. So I thank you again tonight for some good advice.

Always happy to help!

US Grab Bag 2 months 1 week ago #48235

• Prowl
Vyk wrote:
I do believe that you have a unique saber there. US doesn't sell sabers with that switch--all US stunts have black guarded switches. Sometimes grab bags are things they're trying out, and it looks like you got one of those. (I'm jealous, too--that switch looks great.)

That's a great little hilt--I have its big brother, and I also have the v3 version. FYI, a shorter blade would help the balance a lot--I've tried a 36" blade on my Initiate and it's kind of cumbersome; it's lightning fast with my 24". (Only problem is that there's so little inertia that it can be hard to spin.) You might want to consider getting (or making) a shorter blade and using it as a shoto once you have your SF sabers.

Actually US has finally started selling stunt sabers with the option to get an AV switch on them.

US Grab Bag 2 months 1 week ago #48239

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
Prowl wrote:
Vyk wrote:

Actually US has finally started selling stunt sabers with the option to get an AV switch on them.
Yup, just noticed that. Wish they'd had that a while ago!

US Grab Bag 2 months 1 week ago #48515

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
  • Thank you received: 122
It is funny to see how sometimes awesome, sometimes ugly as fuck grab bags can be. It's pretty random so you never know what you're gonna get. I must admit this is a very fine looking saber my friend. Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy :)!
"Honor is a fool's price. Honor is of no use to the dead."

- Custom SaberForge Monarch
- Vader's Vault REV-N Elite + Graflex
- Korbanth Kylo Ren

US Grab Bag 2 months 1 week ago #48540

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
Darth-Revan wrote:
It is funny to see how sometimes awesome, sometimes ugly as fuck grab bags can be. It's pretty random so you never know what you're gonna get. I must admit this is a very fine looking saber my friend. Congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy :)!

Thanks Darth Revan. After having it for a few days, I've been working on my spinning and I have to say the blade is quite bright. Much brighter than any of my MR FX sabers. It's definitely holding me over while I await my SF sabers.
- Light em up

US Grab Bag 2 months 1 week ago #48545

• Eddlyss64
  • Platinum Member
  • "Either in belief or doubt, if I lean to one of these sides, my reaction time will be dulled if my heart thinks the opposite of what I choose."
  • Thank you received: 167
I can't speak for any SF sabers just yet (they'll probably surpass my US sabers in mobility thanks to how they seem to be just a bit thinner), but I do know that my Apprentice and Sentinal Ultrasabers are fantastic for spins. They really are fairly halfways decent sabers for knockin' around or waiting for a higher quality saber. Heck, I dropped my Apprentice from hip level onto a concrete floor, and that sucker still lit up like a Christmas tree (all that really happened was the activation well for the button got chipped, but it's plastic, so whatevs).

I know I'm rambling at this point. Good luck on your spins and your wait! You can check out my videos if you want to see progress (as well as what NOT to do when offered the opportunity to use three sabers).

Oracle, Fury, Avenger, Bane, Katana
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

US Grab Bag 2 months 1 week ago #48673

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
  • Ruler of the Waiting Guild: Round N Round is the motto, Up and Down will you follow?
Andi-Jae EL wrote:
Thanks Darth Revan. After having it for a few days, I've been working on my spinning and I have to say the blade is quite bright. Much brighter than any of my MR FX sabers. It's definitely holding me over while I await my SF sabers.

MR Saber's are know for the accuracy and quality of their hilts... And that's it! The electronics they put inside are far from what you will get by purchasing sabers from companies like US, SF or VV. If I was to get a MR, I would probably try to have it upgraded, but that's me.

A friend of mine has a MR Vader. he brought it with him at the last con we went to together. It's crazy, you can't see any kind of light going through the blade... It just looks like a long, white stick!

- Korbanth Kylo Ren

US Grab Bag 2 months 1 week ago #48674

• MommyHoldMe
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 236
I consider MR movie accurate display pieces, and that's it. Id be afraid to even take one to a con, even though I have seen plenty. All it takes is one bump on accident and LED's are broken. I love the look of them, just not the functionality of it.
You give life, You are love.You bring light to the darkness.
You give hope, You restore every heart that is broken.

US Grab Bag 2 months 1 week ago #48699

• Darth-Revan
  • Platinum Member
MommyHoldMe wrote:
I consider MR movie accurate display pieces, and that's it. Id be afraid to even take one to a con, even though I have seen plenty. All it takes is one bump on accident and LED's are broken. I love the look of them, just not the functionality of it.

Same for me. Having an MR, I would put it on a stand and leave it there, cleaning it once in a while. They are display pieces/trophies, not toys.

- Korbanth Kylo Ren

US Grab Bag 2 months 1 week ago #48753

• Andi-Jae EL
  • Elite Member
Darth-Revan wrote:
MommyHoldMe wrote:

Same for me. Having an MR, I would put it on a stand and leave it there, cleaning it once in a while. They are display pieces/trophies, not toys.

"Collectibles"
- Light em up

The following user(s) said Thank You: Prowl

US Grab Bag 2 months 21 hours ago #50065

• Vyk
  • Premium Member
Darth-Revan wrote:
MommyHoldMe wrote:

That's exactly why I bought my Force FX Black Series Luke Skywalker (ANH). It's a very pretty hilt. The electronics are nice, too. (It's the only saber I have with swing sounds that vary with speed of the swing.) I leave it sitting on a stand, occasionally turn it on, and once in a while actually swing it around a few times.

As far as looks, it's the best bang for the buck out there. I'd never consider carrying it around--or doing anything else that could damage it--though. I'm pretty sure US or SF sabers could be used to pound my Force FX into oblivion, and you'd just need to buff out some scratches. But it looks great on my shelf.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Wiring in Parallel (2 Posts)
    • It *can* be done by bridging connections, but it's not really needed. Parallel, as far as LEDs go,...
    • Any one know if Saberforg... (16 Posts)
    • Nice, that's not all that bad to be honest. Your saber can finally join the others with their 12Ws...
    • Wiring in Parallel (2 Posts)
    • So part way through his NBv3 wiring tutorial, Shameem wires up the three up LED, I think in...
    • Ballista (2 Posts)
    • Fantastic read, Falnore :) Really good balance of action and plot, with subtle exposition of the...
    • Trials of Transformation (75 Posts)
    • Part IV ~~Three Years Later~~ A battered HWK-290, once yellow, but now faded almost to tan, emerged...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4233
  • Latest Member: FrooZenZ
  • Total Posts: 42.9k
  • Total Topics: 3120
  • Total Sections: 20
  • Total Categories: 101
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 9
  • Today Answer: 62
  • Yesterday Answer: 132