Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Getting into lightsaber building (newbie)

Getting into lightsaber building (newbie) 10 months 1 week ago #72799

• ZeRisinger
  • Thank you received: 1
Just purchased my first apprentice line lightsaber from saberforge and waiting on it to arrive.

I know that I'm going to want to get into building lightsabers in both customizing the one I have but mainly buying an empty hilt and adding in the DIY electronics and not the PnP ones.

Not quite sure where to start and was hoping I could get some guidance. I have at least a basic solder skill set.

How could I create my own "hero tier" saber than can alternate colors?
What all do I need to build a saber (parts and equipment)
Does and donts.

I apologize if this has already been asked but I didn't exactly see it yet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Getting into lightsaber building (newbie) 10 months 1 week ago #72808

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
My advice is to take it slow and start simple. Don't go for the full blown RGB, crystal chamber, etc. right off the bat.

Nano Biscotte is a fantastic board, and easy to work with. It will give you the ability to load your own sound fonts, and gives you pretty decent blade effects and FOC. It's also very small and will fit in anything.

Pico crumble is a new board that's out. It's tiny, with no swappable fonts. But it has RBG support with 6 built in color profiles and also does FOC.

Sabercore 2.0 is another great starter board. It's bigger than the NBv3 or crumble, but it fits in just about everything too. No swappable fonts, no FOC, but it will drive a SF X4 LED at full power. It has big pads to solder onto and is a very straightforward install.

Once you pick a hilt you want to build, visualize what you want the blade to look like and what you would like it to do. That will help drive your choice of a soundcard. I'd stay with the three I listed for your first couple of builds before tackling something harder like a Spark2 or Prizm.

Getting into lightsaber building (newbie) 10 months 1 week ago #72854

• ZeRisinger
I'd like to do something with he bane hilt or emerald knight. Maybe even just practice wth another apprentice line.

I'm going to need to purchase wires and everything to solder everything together right?

Thanks for the guidance

Getting into lightsaber building (newbie) 10 months 1 week ago #72864

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94
Check out the custom saber shop on YouTube, they have a bunch of walk through videos and instructional on assembling the different parts of your lightsaber. Really helped me figure out how switches and recharge ports are wired and though he is working with different parts his LED walk through really cleared up a lot of my questions.

https://youtube.com/user/TheCustomSaberShop

For my build the list of extra parts that I got besides what saberforge sells was as follows:
Helping hands
Soldering iron
Solder
26 awg wire (for tighter builds 28 could be recommended)
Resistors for led
Resistor for lighted switch
Goth-3d chassis (this of course is optional)
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by SadiraOrphesu.

Getting into lightsaber building (newbie) 10 months 1 week ago #72890

• ZeRisinger
From what I'm seeing I will be primarily using saberforge hilts and sometimes other simpler cheaper ones for practice. Are all parts going to work regardless of hilt and would that saber customs site be a good place to buy my parts?

Getting into lightsaber building (newbie) 10 months 1 week ago #72899

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
TCSS is where a large portion of the things I use in builds come from:

You can get everything you need from there except for the 12mm offset recharge port that SF uses.

A typical SF hilt build for me looks like this:

Hilt, blade plug and kill key from SF
LED and lens from Ledsupply
Heatsink, switches, battery holders, Plector Labs boards, speakers,blade stock and misc parts from TCSS
Batteries and recharge ports I'm buying wholesale.
3D printed chassis from Goth-3designs
NEC boards direct from Naigon
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • You can get the blade tube @ 40 inches uncut if your willing to make them yourself, need to also get...
    • Blade Length (2 Posts)
    • Is there any way to get a larger blade? 36"/37" seems to be the ideal length, however with the way...
    • Timing shims (3 Posts)
    • I'm building it myself. Thank you for the info man.
    • Saberforge Customs Price ... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: How long does it normally take them to reply to enquires? I sent them an email on the 20th Dec about...
    • Continuous Upgrade expens... (19 Posts)
    • If you go for an empty Elite hilt $150 plus ASP PNP Veteran $150 plus LED $40 plus AV switch $10...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6343
  • Latest Member: hfbncGap
  • Total Posts: 63.2k
  • Total Topics: 5331
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 17
  • Yesterday Answer: 29