Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: LED switch brightness question?

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74223

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 73
So I'm going to be sending this question to Customer Service too but I was hoping maybe someone could answer me here quicker.

I got a plug and play segmented switch to wire into my saber staff build and every instruction on lighted switches Ive seen says put a dynaohm resistor on the positive lead but when I do this the lighted switch dims noticeably. Is it possible that the LED switch is internally resistored? I found the brightness perfect when I was just testing the LED to make sure it worked.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74224

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 220
The PnP switches come pre-wired, and the red I have hasn't blown out yet... so they'd have to be internally resistored I would think. There was some speculation on this a little while ago but I don't think it got confirmed either way.
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74225

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Are you using yours with the rest of the plug n play kit or did you just cut the connector off and wire it into your own build too?

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74229

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 268
I could be wrong but:

The PnP kits have the resistors soldered directly to the sound board. I'll have to take a look (I have one opened up being rebuilt for a client) but the resistor for the switch LED may be off the board as well. Assuming SF is using all 3v LED (or close to it) switches then that would work.

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74230

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
I thought that orginally but wouldnt the resistor have to go between the recharge port and the switch?

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74232

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
No, the LED on the switch can get power from the positive at any point, and the negative that powers the board. You could wire that to come off the RP if you wanted, or off the soundboard. Either way works. I usually run the negative from the board, unless Cram-Fu dictates otherwise.

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74234

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Good to know, well I'm gonna take our the resistor and see what happens worst comes to worst its not an expensive fix.

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74235

• Meatsweats
  • Thank you received: 3
I would like an answer to this as well as I'm doing the exact same thing as OP.

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74238

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 220
SadiraOrphesu wrote:
Are you using yours with the rest of the plug n play kit or did you just cut the connector off and wire it into your own build too?

I used it with the rest of the kit. Literally did what it's named for... plugged it in, then played with it. :lol:

Jas-Ot wrote:
I could be wrong but:

The PnP kits have the resistors soldered directly to the sound board. I'll have to take a look (I have one opened up being rebuilt for a client) but the resistor for the switch LED may be off the board as well. Assuming SF is using all 3v LED (or close to it) switches then that would work.

Just thinking out loud here...

The blue lit switch that I have on my other ASP is plenty bright. If there is a resistor directly on the board for the accent LED... wouldn't it have to be a dyna ohm then? Since there's no loss in brightness on the blue LED when compared to the red one that I have on the other ASP. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aeon, Arbiter, Bastion, Consular, Gladius, Phoenix, Resilient (staff), Vanquish, Vengeance, Xiphos (2)
ASP Dark Crusader, ASP Claíomh Solais

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 4 weeks ago #74248

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Not if the switch LEDs all are the same voltage. Let's say they all are rated at 3volts and 20ma (which is a common rating) then you could use a single resistor that would work for all.of them. Even if there is some difference in the voltage, if you pushed "close enough" to the LED it would lit fine. The current draw is so low that there is little to no risk of burning the LED out.

Higher end boards will often have 3.3 volt 18-20ma accent LED pads. Most 3 and 5mm LEDs run right off that with no resistors. Because the voltage is so close and the amperage is so low. For LEDs that run at 2v and lower, you'd want a resistor, but those are usually very tiny LEDs.

Running those smaller LEDs off the main LED channels you need resistors, you don't want to toss 1000ma at an LED rated for 20ma...
Last Edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by Jas-Ot.

LED switch brightness question? 2 months 3 weeks ago #74290

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
From Customer Service:
Hello! All of our LEDs and illuminated switches that require resistors are pre-resistor-ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meatsweats
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5280
  • Latest Member: EIJoseph
  • Total Posts: 56.2k
  • Total Topics: 4701
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 119