Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Arduino as a soundboard?

Arduino as a soundboard? 3 months 5 days ago #56929

• Maridion
Ok, so I'm new to this whole thing, I have very little electronics experience but I've been studying it a little in physics this year. I don't even have a hilt yet but I'm trying to figure out what the best electronics to buy would be and hopefully I'll be able to order an ASP hilt before I have to leave for college.

Anyways, I've been planning to follow Shameem Moshrefzadeh's video on how to do your electronics (which uses an NBv3 board), but I have recently been introduced to the Arduino Uno and was wondering if it would be possible (certainly cheaper) to turn a smaller arduino into a soundboard for a saber? I'm assuming most of the other components would still be the same as the video I mentioned earlier. but I'm not sure how one would do a motion sensor, or how to make a relatively generic board properly use a sound font. I'm not even sure if this method would be able to fit properly into a saberforge hilt.

I guess at this point all I want to know is: would it be possible to do this? and then if there's anyone who knows how, who may be able to walk me through some of the necessary steps.

Thanks,
-Maridion
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Arduino as a soundboard? 3 months 5 days ago #56937

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 476
It might be (I've seen people do some amazing stuff with tiny computer boards like those), but I imagine you'll end up spending more in both parts and time trying to figure it out, especially if you have limited electronics experience.

If haven't looked already, check out the DIY soundboard breakdown thread. It has lots of useful info about the most commonly used saber soundboards.

If cost is an issue (I know it was for me and still is), I think it's better to wait and get exactly what you want than to cut some corners and end up with something you're not satisfied with.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
The following user(s) said Thank You: =Ottomatix=

Arduino as a soundboard? 3 months 5 days ago #56939

• Maridion
cost is an issue, especially seeing as I would love to have dual sabers, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "wait and get exactly what you want". I've estimated roughly $100 cheaper to do my own electronics with the NBv3, plus I could get FoC and change or make my own font. I also am very interested in building as much of my saber myself as possible, but I'm also impatient and am still contemplating the possibility of just buying a pair of Champion tier apprentice sabers.

Arduino as a soundboard? 3 months 4 days ago #57036

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 476
Maridion wrote:
cost is an issue, especially seeing as I would love to have dual sabers, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "wait and get exactly what you want". I've estimated roughly $100 cheaper to do my own electronics with the NBv3, plus I could get FoC and change or make my own font. I also am very interested in building as much of my saber myself as possible, but I'm also impatient and am still contemplating the possibility of just buying a pair of Champion tier apprentice sabers.

I meant wait until you have saved up the money for wait you want instead of cutting corners to get it now.

I would highly recommend the NBv3, especially for a first build. Easy to install and has a good amount of features. TCSS will have everything you'll need except for soldering equipment. They do carry a lot of the parts pre-wired with JST connectors, but it adds quite a bit to the price tag.

And if you go with the NBv3 and want FoC, stick with a tri-cree and use the 1" OD heat sink TCSS sells instead of SF's 12w Quad-Crees.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor
Last Edit: 3 months 4 days ago by Jaden Korr.

Arduino as a soundboard? 3 months 3 days ago #57121

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 387
Don't bother looking at any Arduino boards for saber sound. It *has* been done, but at great time and cost. It was always done as a learning experience, never as a means to save time or money.

Nano Biscotte is the cheapest option for purpose-built saber boards. If FOC isn't a requirement, boards can be salvaged from $20 blade builder hilts. When wired with a TIP42 transistor and lithium-ion battery, they're capable of working with any Tri-Cree or SF 12W+ LED. Avoid the Kylo Ren board, though, as it's too big to fit into most hilts, and I just found out the main LED channel is wired differently from the other BB boards.

Arduino as a soundboard? 3 months 3 days ago #57162

• Maridion
Kouri wrote:
Don't bother looking at any Arduino boards for saber sound. It *has* been done, but at great time and cost. It was always done as a learning experience, never as a means to save time or money.

I understand time being an issue there, but the NBv3 is like $70 while most arduinos are $30 and below. or is it because all the other components needed would end up being even more expensive?

Arduino as a soundboard? 3 months 3 days ago #57167

• Maridion
wait how do I make the second part be outside of the quote box?

Arduino as a soundboard? 3 months 3 days ago #57169

• Borommakot
  • Platinum Member
  • May the force be with us.
  • Thank you received: 454
You need to make sure the [/quote] tag is only at the end of the part you want quoted, not all of the text.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• [FOR SALE] New CR Prodiga... (5 Posts)
    • Quote: Hello, Andi-Jae EL...This is a very tempting over! If only I lived in the US, I would have snatched...
    • Did I just ruin my Spark ... (18 Posts)
    • Sorry for the late reply. What I meant was that you can use all 4 C# pads, but join the blues into a...
    • Messing around (4 Posts)
    • I just love the thin necks with the black, really brings out the gold more

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4463
  • Latest Member: Futurescape3D
  • Total Posts: 45.6k
  • Total Topics: 3353
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 109
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 31
  • Yesterday Answer: 53