Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: Dummy button

Dummy button 2 years 6 months ago #13484

• thorvindr
  • Thank you received: 1
Has anyone had any success cleanly removing the dummy button from a Warrior initiate hilt? I want to use it in my next build but don't know where to get one. I have a spare AV switch lying around so I thought I'd pop it in my Acolyte hilt in place of the dummy button, then I'd have the dummy to use elsewhere.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dummy button 2 years 6 months ago #13630

• thorvindr
  • Thank you received: 1
In case anyone else can't figure this out, here's what I did:

I tried what everyone has said to do with the actual switch, which is apply heat. I don't have a heat gun yet so I used a hair dryer. I wouldn't recommend that. It worked but the whole hilt got pretty warm. Not to hot to touch but almost. With a heat gun I imagine I'd be able to direct the heat a little more precisely, whereas the blow dryer can't really do that.

I was able to get the AV switch out no problem at all. Heated that sucker up, stuck a rat-tail file in the end of the hilt and used it to press the button out. Popped right out, VERY little force required. The dummy button was another matter entirely I didn't realize how thick the wall of the hilt is and the dummy button is very flat. It's about the same height as a stack of two US quarters and it's in a hole that's clearly drilled for a tall 12mm switch/button.

I tried all kinds of things to get it out. What finally did it was the allen wrench that came with my hilt (the one to tighten the blade retention screw). I stuck the wrench into the hole I had just pulled the latching switch out of, so the short end was inside the hilt. Then I turned it so the end was tapping on the button of the dummy button and pushed it out.

The dummy button was significantly better-secured than the real switch, which seemed to be held on by a healthy amount of Loctite (or something similar). While the switch has what looks like the expected white residue of that sort of adhesive, the dummy button has a bit of a crust on it. Almost looks like a very thin application of superglue or even Gorilla Glue.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Sacrifice. (10 Posts)
    • This is what I was mentioning. http://www.beretta.com/en-us/486-by-marc-newson/ I may just pm you...
    • Crystal Blade Plug (5 Posts)
    • I thought about ordering one from customs, but it didn't quite have the look I was going for, and...
    • Sacrifice. (10 Posts)
    • Quote: Of course, Sacrifice. Have you done a review of that saber already. If not plz do.The white Ven...
    • The Venandi (Hunter) (1 Posts)
    • I mocked up the gold powdercoat I want on the body, going to have to use a little imagination here...
    • Ladies and Gentlemen The ... (9 Posts)
    • What did you use to edit the images?

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6398
  • Latest Member: sauron_33
  • Total Posts: 63.5k
  • Total Topics: 5382
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 23