Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Son's Saber - Design questions

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 2 weeks ago #68740

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 579
As long as you've got about 4.5" to work with, you can just build in a bladestock chassis:

https://saberforgeforum.com/forum/saber-hilt-diy/11333-sentinel-s-rebirth-asp-customization-complete?limitstart=0#66553

It'll take some rearranging of components on the BladeBuilder board, but you can get everything to fit on the 1" x 1" square.

18650 takes ~2.75" wired up. A flat speaker will probably save you some space.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jas-Ot

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 2 weeks ago #68741

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 189
Thank you for link! That was the exact thread I had been looking for, I just couldn't remember which build I saw that on.

I'm not 100% on the length I'll have to work with on that hilt. I'm kind of going off my Bastion which should be pretty similar. It will be tight, but I think the 28mm "premium" style speaker, with 18650 and that BB board will just about fit with enough room for the wiring. Can't be any worse that the Cram job I had to do on the Revan hilt....

I think I'll plan on ordering the hilt in the next couple weeks and see what I have to work with and kind of figure it out from there.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Jas-Ot.

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 2 weeks ago #68773

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
If you do wind up needing a smaller speaker, these 20mm 8ohm are recommended by Naigon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331127041244

And I've already confirmed 8ohm speakers work just fine on BB boards.

That out of the way, no real reason you can't reuse the original speaker if it fits. On-board amp doesn't really have enough power to get the most out of a replacement speaker.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Kouri.

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 2 weeks ago #68774

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Thanks, that might be a help.

I'm going back and forth as to whether to do the cheap BB board or just go all out and through a spark2 in there.

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 2 weeks ago #68789

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
Mmm~ maybe luck out and catch Plecter's restock of Pico Crumble Dark? It's a few bucks less than NB, hooks up to a tri-star, and if you use an RGB LED, it's got a service menu accessible via kill key + switch that'll letcha move between 6 pre-defined color combos. Typical is Red, Yellow, Green, Arctic, RoyalBlue, Magenta, with a mixed off-white FoC, but you can use any tri-star you want, so no rule against a photoRed/pcAmber/Green star for lots of red, orange, and lime mixes with yellow FoC.

Fiddling with my first Crystal Shard saber. I need to tweak the sensitivity settings though. It's as good as any other digital sensor board like my Obsidian V4 or a Sabercore, but out of the box, it doesn't hold a candle to Igniter. The board's plenty more stable though. Hasn't frozen up on my like Spark occasionally does.

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 2 weeks ago #68790

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Kouri wrote:
Mmm~ maybe luck out and catch Plecter's restock of Pico Crumble Dark? It's a few bucks less than NB, hooks up to a tri-star, and if you use an RGB LED, it's got a service menu accessible via kill key + switch that'll letcha move between 6 pre-defined color combos. Typical is Red, Yellow, Green, Arctic, RoyalBlue, Magenta, with a mixed off-white FoC, but you can use any tri-star you want, so no rule against a photoRed/pcAmber/Green star for lots of red, orange, and lime mixes with yellow FoC.

Fiddling with my first Crystal Shard saber. I need to tweak the sensitivity settings though. It's as good as any other digital sensor board like my Obsidian V4 or a Sabercore, but out of the box, it doesn't hold a candle to Igniter. The board's plenty more stable though. Hasn't frozen up on my like Spark occasionally does.

Oh.... I may have to see if I can win the restock lottery on that.

Would be nice if there was a retail channel for the Crystal Shard.

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 2 weeks ago #68791

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
Side note, I've only had a couple freeze ups on the Spark2 so far, and I think it was font related. both times were on a secondary font I was playing with when it went to FOC. Just froze straight up. I changed the font and that fixed the issue.

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 22 hours ago #69405

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
So, I ordered everything today.

I decided to throw a Sabercore2.0 crimson font board in there. The NBv3 is sold out and my kid likes playing with a blaster block more than FOC anyway when he plays with my sabers.

So full specs:

Acolyte hilt in DT finish (planning to add some copper accents) - I asked to have the switch holes uncovered.... We'll see...
Green Tri Cree XP-E2 (Carclo narrow beam lens and TCSS Heat sink)
Sabercore 2.0 with Crimson font
Panasonic 18650 Li-Io battery
Green "ring" AV switch
SF Recharge Port
20-24" thin walled blade (still need to figure out what size but somewhere in that range, he's only 4)

Somebody's a lucky kid....

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 22 hours ago #69407

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 510
Just FYI, the Crimson soundboard's aux sound is Force Lightning/blade lockup, not a blaster block. Unless you meant Viridian, then go ahead and ignore me.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 21 hours ago #69410

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
I meant he likes to push the button and have it do something.

I figured I would get him the Crimson so he had the force lightning on his, and he likes to play with my Bastion A lot too which has the blaster block.

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 21 hours ago #69413

• Jaden Korr
  • Platinum Member
  • "Remember, [Force] abilities are not inherently good or evil; it's how you use them." --Kyle Katarn
  • Thank you received: 510
I gotcha now. Just making sure you're getting what you were looking for.
2005 MR Vader
B/B/W Graflex 2.0
yellow SF ASP Interceptor

My Son's Saber - Design questions 4 months 21 hours ago #69414

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
I have a couple Dark Side fonts on my Revan saber that both have some force lighting/lockup sounds and he loves those.

He's living my dream from when I was a kid. He already has an MR saber I modified that can switch from red, to green, or blue blades. The sound on it leaves a little something to be desired and it's way too big for him, but still... and NOW he's going to be getting this one....
Threaded Indented
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

• The Wait Begins 4.0 (676 Posts)
    • Just got my girlfriends Phoenix in the mail! It only took 2 weeks, but it was an initiate. Very good...
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (13 Posts)
    • [attachment]
    • New and Upcoming from Phi... (13 Posts)
    • My favorites are the Prodigy and Renegade. When is the next SF sale? :lol:
    • [FOR SALE $395USD] V2 CR ... (2 Posts)
    • [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]
    • [FOR SALE $395USD] V2 CR ... (2 Posts)
    • FOR SALE: V2 (weathered) Crystal Reveal Prodigal Son Price: $395USD Including Express Shipping....

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4709
  • Latest Member: Rebzyawag
  • Total Posts: 53.7k
  • Total Topics: 4311
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 114
  • Today Open: 3
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 25
  • Yesterday Answer: 41